Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLLZ Continues Doing It

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Greg Buben

WLLZ Continues Doing It

Post by Greg Buben » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:57 am

I was watching The Detroit Red Wings Hockey game yesterday and I noticed that WLLZ continues their commercials on
TV where they promote themselves as it they're classic hard rock/ heavy metal by saying that they're the station for AC/DC
and other classic heavy metal and hard rock bands. I still say that if they promote themselves in such a manner on TV
then they should just run a classic hard rock and heavy metal format. They should just forget about lighter classic rock
especially such wimpy stuff as Journey. They should just run the harder and heavier stuff which I think could work in
Detroit with the tradition of giving the world Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper, The MC 5, and Iggy Pop and The Stooges. I think
WLLZ would be more honest by doing this because if one was expecting a station with classic hard rock/ heavy metal
and that person was to tune into WLLZ finding wimpy music like Journey and overplayed softer classic hits it would be
a big disappointment for that individual. WLLZ can't beat WCSX in the local classic rock competition so they really don't
have much to lose if they were to do that.

Mega Hertz

Re: WLLZ Continues Doing It

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:22 pm

Both MW and I have said over the years that a format somewhat similar to Sirius XM's "Turbo" channel. I do believe it's time to up the span of years that count for "classic rock". These songs were burnt out and upwards of 20+ years old when *I* was a child. Come on.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:58 pm

It all comes down to the company behind the radio station. I HEART does some formats right including Talk, A.C. ,CHR, Urban, and even Sports sometimes. Rock is not one of there strengths. Even winners like Beasley have what I would call a corporate playlist on WCSX, but it’s working out for them.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:36 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:22 pm
Both MW and I have said over the years that a format somewhat similar to Sirius XM's "Turbo" channel. I do believe it's time to up the span of years that count for "classic rock". These songs were burnt out and upwards of 20+ years old when *I* was a child. Come on.
While I partially agree with you, I also witnessed what happened with Infinity, and their failed experiment known as "Extreme Radio". The format was launched with much fanfare in Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis, (and maybe a couple other markets I'm forgetting) and failed miserably. When I left WKRK, I believe we had a sizzling 1.4 as Extreme Radio. It's questionable to me as to whether or not the modern rock/metal/rap from that era would stand the test of time.

As for Extreme Radio, it's true that corporate wasn't much help. Putting a dozen paper lawn signs on 12 Mile in front of the studios hardly qualifies as a promotions budget. I think we had a couple boxes of t-shirts too. Maybe some keychains. Sad.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:56 pm

A rock station where 80% or more of the playlist is from 1993 to 2008, with 10% pre-1993 and 10% post-2008, would sound great, in my opinion.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:56 pm
A rock station where 80% or more of the playlist is from 1993 to 2008, with 10% pre-1993 and 10% post-2008, would sound great, in my opinion.
What do you think about 93-3 The Planet, WTPT, in upstate South Carolina?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:04 pm

I've not checked them out online in years. I'll have to give them a listen (or at least research their playlist).

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:19 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
100% agree. This is where the Classic Rock format should be. The Kansas/Styx/Boston/Journey/Foreigner/Pink Floyd shit that still dominates the format should be relegated to throw away AM stations and subchannels.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Exactly.
The entirety of my hatred for WLLZ stems from their dishonesty.
They came on the scene promising a "New generation of classic rock" then proceeded to play the same worn out shit WCSX plays.
I dont know if they still use that slogan or not but apparently they are still advertising on TV as heavier than they really are.
Be honest and pick a lane because their bullshit now of Journey or Bryan Adams followed by Metallica is just a mess and incredibly frustrating.
There is a TON of great rock and roll from the 80's and 90's to choose from. How many times do we need to hear "Another One Bites the Dust"?

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:02 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:50 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Exactly.
The entirety of my hatred for WLLZ stems from their dishonesty.
They came on the scene promising a "New generation of classic rock" then proceeded to play the same worn out shit WCSX plays.
I dont know if they still use that slogan or not but apparently they are still advertising on TV as heavier than they really are.
Be honest and pick a lane because their bullshit now of Journey or Bryan Adams followed by Metallica is just a mess and incredibly frustrating.
There is a TON of great rock and roll from the 80's and 90's to choose from. How many times do we need to hear "Another One Bites the Dust"?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:05 pm

I think the problem is (other than corporate radio being afraid to even think about thinking outside the box) is that you start adding songs from that era, and you're going up against WRIF. And that never ends well.

But you can't sit there and tell me there's no market for that stuff. You just can't.

I can recall posting that, if Alt 98.7 was to drop the hip hop/trap beat flavor of alternative, go live in at least one daypart, and ramp up the gold quotient that they would push at least mid 2s, if not higher. And look what happened.

Enough Skynyrd and Don't Stop Believing. Enough.
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:14 pm

89X - shitty signal and all - had very competitive ratings against WRIF for five or six straight years until the morning show bolted.

There are a lot of quality songs from the above era WRIF seldom or never plays.

Excellent points regarding Alt 98.7. (You forgot to mention cancelling Lazlo's lame afternoon gabfest, though.)

I am essentially proposing a Rock version of The Bounce with regard to musical era.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:05 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:14 pm
89X - shitty signal and all - had very competitive ratings against WRIF for five or six straight years until the morning show bolted.

There are a lot of quality songs from the above era WRIF seldom or never plays.

Excellent points regarding Alt 98.7. (You forgot to mention cancelling Lazlo's lame afternoon gabfest, though.)

I am essentially proposing a Rock version of The Bounce with regard to musical era.
What did you think of 97.1 Extreme Radio?

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:59 pm

"Huey Lewis & The News" is NOT CLASSIC ROCK!!!!
I HATE BON JOVI!!!
STOP BELIEVING! (In regards to Journey's "Don't Stop Believing")
Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" has been played 3,123,221,097 times over Detroit airwaves! STOP THE MADNESS!!!
Cheap Trick has more than one song!!
Any Aerosmith after 1976 is SHIT!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:59 pm

It's 2024.

Boston was released in 1976. That's 48 years.
Journey's "Escape" was released in 1981. That's 43 years.
Toto was 1978. That's 46 years.

In 1990, how many full powered FM stations were still playing music from 1945?
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic