Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Free Press Removing Comments from Articles

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Detroit Free Press Removing Comments from Articles

Post by Bobbert » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:05 pm

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 406356007/

The comments always help you see the truth behind a story. And I've got a feeling that the truthful reasons behind this announcement are not in the announcement.

jsf

Re: Detroit Free Press Removing Comments from Articles

Post by jsf » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:18 pm

My feeling is they don't like the comments, maybe some hit too close to home.

Deleted User 16173

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:44 pm

It may hurt their subscription numbers. Many people love to voice their opinions.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:26 pm

Lol. As if the comments section of a news website is known for civilized and constructive conversation.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:36 pm

Newspapers don't have budget to have staff monitor comments.

Most paper have eliminated comments due to inappropriate comments.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:32 pm

The moderators didn't know what they were doing anyway. So many times my comments were removed for no reason whatsoever. They were completely on-topic, accurate, and were not inflammatory or off-topic nonsense like so many comments are.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:53 pm

I remember MLive's article comment section. There was some REALLY great entertainment in there! :)
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:54 pm

I imagine the News will follow suit, although I haven't seen any announcement or articles about it....

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:38 am

They want the comments on FB unless they closed those comments as well. Not surprised they are shutting down comment sections for social media FB/IG etc. I was surprised that Yahoo brought back the comment section even when your on topic and isn't insult they will reject the comment saying that it broke the standards I'd appeal sometimes they would approve it but other times they would reject it when it didn't break any of their standards. Which they pick and choose and insults still seem to fly but I hardly ever make comments on politics I will read the article but make any comments.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

RedfordRob

Post by RedfordRob » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:14 am

Sad to see it go, it was fun to mix it up but I thought it should have been for Subscribers only (like I am).

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:14 pm

"We really want to know what you think!"

NOT.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:49 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:14 pm
"We really want to know what you think!"

NOT.
Since when have reades needed feedback outside the Opinion page?

Letters to the editor are a perfect medium for print, it gives the read time to organize an idea into an opinion.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:35 am

A lot of reporters have to tread carefully to maintain access to their sources (especially sports reporters), so the comments were a good way for readers to fill in the blanks between what the reporter wrote.

And I'd bet a lot of reporters appreciated that "help," especially if their sources read the comments.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:33 pm

I found the comments section very useful and informative for countering the narratives promoted by leftist freep and Detroit news articles. Such as when they cherry pick one young person teaching at a school in west Michigan, and says “michigan needs to pay teachers more because this young lady can’t afford an apartment or house right out of college and must live under the realm of her parents”…. Well that could be true but school districts and the state need to work to a balanced budget.

Furthermore, the example person they picked was not valid because the example subject in the article was not even a certified teacher therefore the claims and points of the advocacy “journalism” falls flat on its face.

Just looking at the young reporters writing for the freep, one sees fresh grads right out of the indoctrination machines of current universities seeing and reporting the world, country, and state from an extreme leftist point of view pretending to be “just the facts” reporters.

Many many leftist advocacy “journalist” articles exist in the freep, Detroit news and others (Newsweek has some leftist and some from the right), and the comments section are an amazing way to fact check and counterbalance the premises pushed by the reporter, look up the histories of people interviewed in the article, and let the reader make their own conclusions.

And what I am saying can perfectly apply to overly leaning right wing columns.

One might say the comments section made the “reporters” look bad. Closing the comments section makes it look like the freep cannot handle technology. Well over half of the moderating work can be handled thru AI

jsf

Post by jsf » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:03 pm

radiofann wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:33 pm
I found the comments section very useful and informative for countering the narratives promoted by leftist freep and Detroit news articles. Such as when they cherry pick one young person teaching at a school in west Michigan, and says “michigan needs to pay teachers more because this young lady can’t afford an apartment or house right out of college and must live under the realm of her parents”…. Well that could be true but school districts and the state need to work to a balanced budget.

Furthermore, the example person they picked was not valid because the example subject in the article was not even a certified teacher therefore the claims and points of the advocacy “journalism” falls flat on its face.

Just looking at the young reporters writing for the freep, one sees fresh grads right out of the indoctrination machines of current universities seeing and reporting the world, country, and state from an extreme leftist point of view pretending to be “just the facts” reporters.

Many many leftist advocacy “journalist” articles exist in the freep, Detroit news and others (Newsweek has some leftist and some from the right), and the comments section are an amazing way to fact check and counterbalance the premises pushed by the reporter, look up the histories of people interviewed in the article, and let the reader make their own conclusions.

And what I am saying can perfectly apply to overly leaning right wing columns.

One might say the comments section made the “reporters” look bad. Closing the comments section makes it look like the freep cannot handle technology. Well over half of the moderating work can be handled thru AI
Well said

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic