Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local news outlets are obsessed with this idiotic "story"

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Local news outlets are obsessed with this idiotic "story"

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:37 pm

Am I the only one who is fatigued by news coverage of the mystery billboards touting the Lions that began with the phrase "Decker Reported" following the officiating flub in Dallas?

Gee. The text of the messages is in the same font and color scheme as that used by the Lions organization in official marketing material.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out either the Lions or one of their "official partners" purchased the billboards. Said organization then contacted area media outlets to ask them to "report" (no pun intended) on this pre-manufactured news story.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Re: Local news outlets are obsessed with this idiotic "story"

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:16 pm

I give them a break. Keeps the spirit going. Not like this organization has had much to celebrate since the Bush Sr. administration. It's nice to see a non-CHICKEN LITTLE THE SKY IS FALLING story.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 16173

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:41 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:16 pm
I give them a break. Keeps the spirit going. Not like this organization has had much to celebrate since the Bush Sr. administration. It's nice to see a non-CHICKEN LITTLE THE SKY IS FALLING story.
💯 agree.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:57 pm

The media look ridiculous reporting this fabricated story from someone's PR department as "news."

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:20 pm

This is a true story witnessed by me back around 2007:

I open my downriver news herald Sunday paper, and on the front page is a news headlined story above the fold , fully reported with store manager interview, with the title
“Local Meijer is open 24 hrs”

It must have been a slow news week for them.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:20 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:57 pm
The media look ridiculous reporting this fabricated story from someone's PR department as "news."
What do you think most news stories are? They are regurgitated press releases. Then you have longer format stories and those about crime. But those blurbs about some new building or new program are just press release material.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:37 pm

No argument here, but at least those stories - some of which are unworthy of coverage - aren't presented under some sort of "mystery" pretense.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:30 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:37 pm
No argument here, but at least those stories - some of which are unworthy of coverage - aren't presented under some sort of "mystery" pretense.
The mystery part of it is indeed rather comical… though we got jobbed so badly in that game that everybody probably agrees with the billboard… I saw one and wondered who took it out myself. Coming out with it would have been simpler.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:57 am

Does it still say 12-4 or did they update it to 13-4? I remember seeing that story on Fox17 caught the last second of it almost a month ago.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:07 am

radiofann wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:20 pm
This is a true story witnessed by me back around 2007:

I open my downriver news herald Sunday paper, and on the front page is a news headlined story above the fold , fully reported with store manager interview, with the title
“Local Meijer is open 24 hrs”

It must have been a slow news week for them.
In fairness to the News Herald, this is the sort of thing folks Downriver get excited about. Team coverage of a lane on Fort Street being closed for two weeks.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:50 am

Since it costs the billboard company nothing to put these messages up for 30 seconds every 5 minutes, it could be themselves doing it and the mystery is continued with their refusal to answer media questions about it. It has been great exposure to that outdoor advertiser.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic