Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WJBK signal strength?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
km1125

WJBK signal strength?

Post by km1125 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:15 am

For the last two weeks or so I've been getting intermittent reception of WJBK. First it was just some intermittent tiling but now there are certain days or times when I'm not bringing it in at all. Anyone else seeing issues? Wondering if they're operating at some reduced power for a reason. All the other channels I've been picking up seem unaffected and I'm seeing the issue on multiple sets.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WJBK signal strength?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:35 am

I am about 5 miles from their TX site, and reception does seem a bit more finicky than usual. If my rabbit ears are almost fully extended, the signal breaks up. If they are extended halfway or less, I get about a 30 dB signal, which is only a bit less than usual.

WHNE is much more difficult than usual for me to decode (although not impossible).

So, I suspect atmospheric issues are at play here. Seems to be affecting the VHF band only.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:57 am

I’m about 15 miles from the TX site with a rooftop antenna, and some nights WJBK has been unreceivable, as in “no signal found”, and other nights it’s been pixelated and weak. It was fine a few nights ago.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:07 am

My memory has faded. Did we have these problems with analog reception?
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:10 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:07 am
Nope.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:13 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:10 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:07 am
Nope.
Thanks, Colonel. Something told me we didn't have such issues with analog TV reception but I could have been wrong.
-TurkeyTop

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:25 am

I have no cable, (Tired of paying more and getting less)
I can get all the analog channels on my antenna, except for FOX2, why is that?
I get the "weak signal" or "no signal" message on my TV if I try to tune in..
Tried repositioning the antenna, multiple attempts on auto tune channels on my TV...
Asked techs and sales persons at Best Buy , no one can answer why..I have admitted defeat, and resigned to live without WJBK on my TV...

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:36 am

lidoshuffle wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:25 am
Tried repositioning the antenna, multiple attempts on auto tune channels on my TV...
Asked techs and sales persons at Best Buy , no one can answer why..I have admitted defeat, and resigned to live without WJBK on my TV...
Ask Ben Zonia. He might have an answer for you.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:14 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Fox 2's tower is near 9 Mile Rd and Southfield Fwy.

Of note, their signal is weaker to the west than other directions in order to protect to WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids. I have no idea if that comes into play in your case or not.

Approximately how far from their tower site are you trying to pick up the signal?

Are you using an indoor or outdoor antenna? Do you know the make and model?

Finally, is your antenna connected to an amplifier? If so, that can often cause more harm than good, especially if the "gain" is turned up too high.

Antennas designed for UHF exclusively will usually work poorly since WJBK transmits on the frequency range formerly used by analog channel 7.

Antenna Man PA on YouTube responds to viewer messages and may be able to give you a specific recommendation.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:25 pm

Well good. It doesn't sound like I'm the only one. I've had the antenna setup in place for about 3 years and haven't ever had a problem with WJBK. I did have an issue with WADL at one point being intermittent, but that hasn't been an issue lately.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:42 pm

I can't get WJBK either way. 4, 7, 20 and 56 are my best catches. I must have a UHF antenna.
-TurkeyTop

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:14 pm
lidoshuffle wrote:
Fox 2's tower is near 9 Mile Rd and Southfield Fwy.

Of note, their signal is weaker to the west than other directions in order to protect to WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids. I have no idea if that comes into play in your case or not.

Approximately how far from their tower site are you trying to pick up the signal?

Are you using an indoor or outdoor antenna? Do you know the make and model?

Finally, is your antenna connected to an amplifier? If so, that can often cause more harm than good, especially if the "gain" is turned up too high.

Antennas designed for UHF exclusively will usually work poorly since WJBK transmits on the frequency range formerly used by analog channel 7.

Antenna Man PA on YouTube responds to viewer messages and may be able to give you a specific recommendation.
RCA Indoor antenna, has a 60 mile range, yes I have an amplifier attached, I am in Harrison Twp, (Near Selfridge ANGB)
MY RCA antenna claims it is supposed to pick up all local stations. I find it, "interesting" that the channels that always come in with no issues are those annoying Home Shopping Shows, always crystal clear, never are scrambled, or weak signaled...what the f*ck??

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:31 pm

WADL by far is the closest station to your location, which is why you are seeing some of those home shopping channels. :)

Aside from WADL, there are no powerful FM or TV stations nearby. WADL is far enough away from WJBK's frequency that the risk of overload caused by an amplifier should be small. Nonetheless, if your amplifier has a dial or knob for tweaking what's known as "gain," you may want to try dialing that back.

Is your antenna flat panel, round, or dipole (rabbit ear) style? Dipole style would work best for WJBK. Round would work the worst.

What I've noticed is some antenna manufacturers tend to base range on diameter and not radius. With an indoor antenna in a low lying (versus sea level) area such as Harrison Twp, you are unlikely to pick up anything from more than 25 miles away using any indoor antenna (unless it is on the second or third level of a home). Fortunately, as the crow flies, the major TV station towers are all within 25 miles of you.

Finally, some TVs simply have better tuners than others. You may want to try a standalone tuner that can be connected to your TV via HDMI, and plug the antenna into the standalone tuner, to see if that brings improvement. I would try this as a last resort.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:21 pm

Instances like this are the main reason I miss analog TV.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:32 pm

After checking more signal strength readings this afternoon, I do think there is a chance WJBK is using its AUX facilities, which would mean 15 kW from lower height as opposed to the typical 27 kW.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic