Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Public TV moving, current home sold

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SolarMax

Re: Detroit Public TV moving, current home sold

Post by SolarMax » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:15 am

km1125 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:12 am
IIRC, their building is actually two completely separate buildings, with an 'air gap' of less than 6" in between them. Don't remember the logic of why it was done that way.
The building was/is not separate buildings, but the architectural modifications to make the studio spaces do make it effectively that. The large warehouse and fulfillment areas of the building (used by former occupant and builder Clover Electronics) became the production studios. Anyone familiar with studio design practices will know that an air gap provides mechanical and acoustic isolation of studio space from the surrounding structure and the outside. There was also the usual baffling of HVAC systems.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:23 am

edj wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:18 am
How much space does 56 really need? This sale has been planned for two years, is it to downsize or actually increase studio space?

My guess is they will move back Downtown, assuming tax incentives are adequate.
The Foundation is a non-profit, so that's not a factor.

There are sites in the city under consideration.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am

Detroit PBS announced where they are moving to.

They are going to convert an old building in Detroit at 234 Piquette.

It was on the Detroit News website this morning.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:40 am

Article says they only moved to Wixom because of digital broadcasting. That doesn't make sense. There was more to it than that.

I noticed they didn't even mention OTA channel or even call letters. A sign how much OTA has declined, even with cord cutting.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:17 am

[quote=MWmetalhead post_id=763724 time=1699147179 user_id=2]
Most of the programming on PBS these days is dreadfully bad.
[/quote]

I greatly enjoyed "American Masters--William F. Buckley" which aired on a PBS subchannel into Monday's overnight. I do wish they had included the late Joe Flaherty's imitation of Buckley, rather than David Frye, from the Smothers Brothers show.

BBC riders, meaning "Call The Midwife," "Doc Martin," I find those humorous and more worthy of my time than "So You Think You Can Dance," "The Mystery Singer," "American Idol," etc.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:35 am

edj wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:24 am
They moved to an area with a population boom at the time- a stone’s throw from Lyon Township (Napier is the boundary). It’s the same as when 2 and 7 moved to Southfield in the 50s.
I was always under the impression that 2 &7 (and the MSP Northville post) are where they are at because of a ridge of elevation. It's supposed to be an ancient lakeshore or something like that. It's why the Grand River originates in Hillsdale.

Putting towers on that ridge gives great coverage. It's been a bit since I've heard that so I may not have it quite right.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 am

Round Six wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:35 am
edj wrote:
They moved to an area with a population boom at the time- a stone’s throw from Lyon Township (Napier is the boundary). It’s the same as when 2 and 7 moved to Southfield in the 50s.
I was always under the impression that 2 &7 (and the MSP Northville post) are where they are at because of a ridge of elevation. It's supposed to be an ancient lakeshore or something like that. It's why the Grand River originates in Hillsdale.

Putting towers on that ridge gives great coverage. It's been a bit since I've heard that so I may not have it quite right.
WJBK Channel 2 admin and TX are on Nine Mile and Southfield.
WXYX Channel 7 admin and TX are on Ten Mile Road and Northwestern Hwy.
Neither is anywhere near the Northville MSP Post.
My recollection is that they're located where they are because the former farm acreage for a tower was available in the late '50s at those locations.

You don't seem to understand the difference between a production studio/facility and a transmitter site.
The WTVS digital broadcast transmitter and antenna remains on the tower at 8 Mile and Meyers Road, erected by CBS in the late 90s. There are five over the air digital channels, plus numerous online sites with streaming content.
How and where programs are produced can literally be at any physical location.
The choice of the Wixom building had nothing to do with topography, or demographics. There's a very long and detailed explanation of all that which I will not go into here (and hope it's not taken up by the "experts" who are former immunologists and structural engineers).

Be thankful the Foundation did not take the example from Ann Arbor and change itself to "Detroit Public." :D

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 am
Round Six wrote:
edj wrote:

My recollection is that they're located where they are because the former farm acreage for a tower was available in the late '50s at those locations.

You don't seem to understand the difference between a production studio/facility and a transmitter site.
The WTVS digital broadcast transmitter and antenna remains on the tower at 8 Mile and Meyers Road, erected by CBS in the late 90s. There are five over the air digital channels, plus numerous online sites with streaming content.
The choice of the Wixom building had nothing to do with topography, or demographics. There's a very long and detailed explanation of all that which I will not go into here (and hope it's not taken up by the "experts" who are former immunologists and structural engineers).

Be thankful the Foundation did not take the example from Ann Arbor and change itself to "Detroit Public." :D
Imagine a line running roughly from Hillsdale up into Northern Oakland County. It's my understanding this is a high ridge. Radio transmitters atop this ridge have great coverage.

There used to be a ham radio repeater atop the old Northville Mental Hospital that got tore down. It had fantastic coverage because of where it was at.

If you're ever northbound on 275 around 6 and 7 mile, notice all the cellphone antennas pointing towards Detroit. Even though the buildings they are on are only 5 or 6 stories high, those antennas have a clear shot of the Detroit area.

As far as you mentioning WTVS, if you care to notice my initial reply was concerning why WJBK and WXYZ moved to their current locations. When commenting on posts, why not take a moment to read what you are quoting. Perhaps it's not I that does not understand.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:52 pm

Is Rich Homberg a likable/good guy?

I can never seem to get an accurate read on him.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 pm

Detroit PBS is flush with cash, evidently.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:48 pm

Round Six wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 pm
SolarMax wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 am
Round Six wrote:
edj wrote:

Imagine a line running roughly from Hillsdale up into Northern Oakland County. It's my understanding this is a high ridge. Radio transmitters atop this ridge have great coverage.

There used to be a ham radio repeater atop the old Northville Mental Hospital that got tore down. It had fantastic coverage because of where it was at.

If you're ever northbound on 275 around 6 and 7 mile, notice all the cellphone antennas pointing towards Detroit. Even though the buildings they are on are only 5 or 6 stories high, those antennas have a clear shot of the Detroit area.

As far as you mentioning WTVS, if you care to notice my initial reply was concerning why WJBK and WXYZ moved to their current locations. When commenting on posts, why not take a moment to read what you are quoting. Perhaps it's not I that does not understand.
I think most of those antennas in Southfield and Oak Park missed out on that ridge.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:48 pm
I think most of those antennas in Southfield and Oak Park missed out on that ridge.

Thanks for the map. I remember when I had that all explained to me wondering how could the Huron River flow uphill?

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:25 pm

If this was mentioned already I apologize. Detroit Public TV is changing it's name to Detroit PBS. And has purchased an empty block in Detroit's Milwaukee Junction area.

This is from the Detroit News.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:25 am

I swear, some consultant a while back must have published a manifesto stating that words like “radio”, “network”, “tv” and “television” are out of date, and media should cease the use of these words. Only “old people” use those words and younger people don’t. <sigh>

SolarMax: “Detroit Public” 😂😂😂

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:41 am

Radio and TV are becoming less of the delivery option. You aren't going to replace those words with Streaming. The brand should focus on content.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic