Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Matt Shepard Out After Five as Bally Sports Tigers' PBP...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Kidcat

Re: Matt Shepard Out After Five as Bally Sports Tigers' PBP...

Post by Kidcat » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:27 pm

Ron Cameron should be considered
Bally sports would have to pony up,a lot of cash in order for Cameron to give up his lucrative brokered radio gig.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:03 pm

Will be someone in house Bally Sports Detroit family in my opinion that takes over Matt Shepard, Rod Allen was hired and was in the booth for the Marlins in 2022 I don't know if he is still doing play by play for the Marlins I wouldn't take him back because going WWE on Mario for no reason. I thought that Rod & Mario were pals I didn't know they had a big beef with each other.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

CJ

Post by CJ » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:05 pm

Could it be a money move being Bally is in bankruptcy and trying to survive?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:38 pm

I went to high school with Dan Hasty. The guy has always been passionate about baseball and has a great delivery for the game. I'd love to see him get a shot.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

edj

Post by edj » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:00 am

Rod Allen was horrendous. Nothing but stupid catch phrases. Mario was very vanilla, though not as much as Shepard.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:38 am

I have been hearing Rod in Marlins highlight clips this season on mlb.com, though he is not play by play. He rode his hot start in '84 about as far as anyone possibly could have, and always seemed like a Rolodex analyst, may well have been in place doing the proper gathering to support the content but when the chips were down, the cue card phrases were "Country Strong" in his hand.

How about Greg Gania in Erie?

edj

Post by edj » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:45 am

I haven't heard many Seawolves broadcasts. Not sure offhand who does TV for the Mud Hens- radio is still Jim Weber but he's not an option.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:08 pm

Gania had the call for the combined no-hitter the Tigers spun back on July 8 (which in the strictest scoring sense, is not a "thing"). I felt he did a very, very good job then. His first fill in on the Radio Network was '18, as I recall it.

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:55 pm

Greg Ganda did a good job when I heard him do fill In. I feel the Tigers need to have a very strong broadcaster. I’m going to throw one out there that has some baggage but I always liked his work on football and baseball… Thom Brennaman

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:21 pm

Kidcat wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:27 pm
Ron Cameron should be considered
Bally sports would have to pony up,a lot of cash in order for Cameron to give up his lucrative brokered radio gig.
The definition of a real loser:

Viewing profile - Kidcat
Username:
Kidcat
Groups:

Registered users

Add friend

Add foe
CONTACT KIDCAT
PM:
USER STATISTICS
Last active:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:15 pm
Total posts:
420 | Search user’s posts
(0.19% of all posts / 0.37 posts per day)
Most active forum:
Metro Detroit/SE Michigan
(418 Posts / 99.52% of user’s posts)
Most active topic:
Ron Cameron
(401 Posts / 95.48% of user’s posts)

Total topics:
3 | Search user’s topics
(0.02% of all topics / 0.00 topics per day)
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

ral315

Post by ral315 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:24 pm

windsorjoe wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:55 pm
I’m going to throw one out there that has some baggage but I always liked his work on football and baseball… Thom Brennaman
Some baggage... the word "some" is doing a lot of work there.

I'm gay, and I've followed various articles over the past couple years about his attempts to make things right with the LGBTQ+ community after his use of the slur. I'm cautiously willing to forgive him. But the problem is that he's not a significantly better broadcaster than the other options available.

If Thom Brennaman was a hall-of-fame broadcaster, he'd probably get another chance. But he's merely good - and there are a lot of good broadcasters out there looking for jobs, most of whom haven't said something horrifying on a live mic. And it certainly doesn't help that his apology has been memed so much that even people who don't know his name have heard the "and there's a drive by Castellanos..." jokes.

As for the other options - I think Bally will be looking for local / internal options more than a large search, no matter what they might say. They're not gonna want to shell out a ton of money, and your top candidates would be foolish not to seek guarantees of money up-front, given Diamond Sports Group's bankruptcy proceedings. Joe Davis isn't gonna drop the Dodgers to come to BSD if his contract could be voided or forcibly restructured in the bankruptcy process six months later.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:32 am

Fun fact:
Brennaman called Magglio's walk off home run to clinch the ALCS win in 2006.

I do not believe he would be a good hire. He has forfeited the privilege to broadcast at a major league level, in my opinion. Hiring someone so polarizing would be bad for business.

I did like his on-air work before his infamous incident. One must wonder if he was often a total asshole when the mics were off.

His father, Marty, *is* a HOF worthy broadcaster, by the way.

At the end of the day, Dan will probably move to TV and radio duties will probably mostly be handled by the guy from Erie (with occasional appearances from Hasty). That's my prediction.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:44 am

Thom WAS a solid broadcaster, although his man crush on Tim Tebow when calling Florida games made John Madden's worship of Brett Favre look restrained. But the Tigers don't need that distraction.

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:10 am

Call me crazy... but I can see Bally showing the game on the television and some how broadcasting the radio play by play at the same time... It would save them a lot of money that they don't have.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:43 am

Could the Tigers snag Joe Davis from the Dodgers for play-by-play duties? Davis is a Michigan kid from the Lansing area and I would presume grew up watching the Tigers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic