Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Lions game TV delay

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SolarMax

Lions game TV delay

Post by SolarMax » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:55 pm

Watching the Lions/Chiefs game (yay Lions!!). Noticed that the game on my kitchen OTA set was way ahead of what I was seeing from WDIV on the Xfinity box in the TV room. Timed the latency between OTA broadcast and cable at 43 seconds!
I think in recent past the Comcast delay of WDIV has been just 7-10 sec. Now it's almost a minute.
Seems like that could provide me some advantage if I were doing in-game sports gambling.

Rate This

Re: Lions game TV delay

Post by Rate This » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:58 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:55 pm
Watching the Lions/Chiefs game (yay Lions!!). Noticed that the game on my kitchen OTA set was way ahead of what I was seeing from WDIV on the Xfinity box in the TV room. Timed the latency between OTA broadcast and cable at 43 seconds!
I think in recent past the Comcast delay of WDIV has been just 7-10 sec. Now it's almost a minute.
Seems like that could provide me some advantage if I were doing in-game sports gambling.
You would have 43 seconds to figure out what to bet and execute that bet and you wouldn't even need a Delorean...

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:08 am

OTA's been ahead of everything else for a long time now. I remember in the early 2000s it was possible to sync up football games on cable with the AM radio call without time shifting or anything, but no longer.

OTA sure as hell isn't ahead of Vegas, though. Don't get suckered.

unscopedaircheck

Post by unscopedaircheck » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:46 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32402945

Courtsiding is really the only way to do this type of thing, but even that's difficult.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:29 pm

SolarMax wrote:
I made a lot of money doing this about 15 years ago. Bovada (Bodog at the time) offered play-by-play betting where you could bet on the outcome of the next play in various NFL games. I used WNEM 1250 AM (Westwood One) as my source as there was virtually no time delay whatsoever. I had about a 7-10 second advantage in CBS games and 10-14 seconds compared to Fox (so the Fox NFC games were more profitable).

I would only bet on one type of play - running play. Because the announcing was easy to follow and immediately click my mouse button. I'd be sitting, hand poised, waiting for that "hands the ball off to....." Now even with that advantage, most of the plays had the betting options cut before I knew enough to bet, but I was good for about 5 to 10 plays per game where I knew run and could still place the bet.

I quickly had my per-play limit reduced from $100 to $25 then to $10 and eventually to $1 (which at $1 was when I quit) but over the course of half a season I made a little over $4,000. I of course threw in random bets of other types to try to make it not so obvious but I'm sure my consistent overall winnings were still a flag.

Ah, good times.....

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:10 pm

SolarMax wrote:
There is still a delay with ota vs in stadium live which the gambling sites use the live stadium feed. So a touchdown will appear first before you see it on your ota feed.

MrMitch

Post by MrMitch » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:19 pm

My son watches a lot of local sports. Most of the time Twitter has an update before it shows up on TV (xFinity)

Taco

Post by Taco » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:20 pm

At least there wasn't severe weather for people to whine about. :rollin
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic