Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Airplay of Alice Cooper's New Album

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Re: Detroit Airplay of Alice Cooper's New Album

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:41 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:43 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:50 pm
That point was driven home to me in 1997 when very commercially accessible albums were released by Paul McCartney (Flaming Pie) and Elton John (The Big Picture), but got almost no airplay.
In the case of Elton's "The Big Picture", track "Something About the Way You Look Tonight" would hit #1 worldwide, including the US -- only because it shared the A-side with "Candle in the Wind 1997", a new version of his 1973 song, with new lyrics about Princess Diana after her death that year. Alone, "Something About..." didn't even chart in the US or the UK (though it peaked at #14 in Canada).
Bobbert wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:50 pm
About the only way for an older artist to stay relevant is to team up with somebody (like Tony Bennett did so well) or be a ruthless master of self-promotion, like Madonna.
Still on the subject of Elton John, his "duet" with Dua Lipa, "Cold Heart" (actually a remix of Elton's hits produced during the COVID lockdowns) made the Top 10 worldwide, including #1 in the US Dance Charts and #7 on the Hot 100:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Heart_(Pnau_remix)
I don't recall ever hearing the 1997 Candle in the Wind on the radio. Stations always played the Live in Australia version.
But 'Something About..." was always on the radio, for years

Music is my life.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:58 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:46 pm
You cant even get these half baked stations to open their playlists for songs people actually want to hear let alone new material from aging artists.
In Lansing, back in the 80's, when 'MMQ was still on 92.7 and broadcasting from way out in Charlotte, Fred was consulting. Even then, he seemed more concerned with how many spins insipid songs like "Mellow Yellow" by Donovan, or tunes by The Zombies were getting, as opposed to adding new material by core artists in the format. At the time, I suppose that task was left to Q106.

Some things never change, eh?
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:38 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:58 pm
dial-it-in wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:46 pm
You cant even get these half baked stations to open their playlists for songs people actually want to hear let alone new material from aging artists.
In Lansing, back in the 80's, when 'MMQ was still on 92.7 and broadcasting from way out in Charlotte, Fred was consulting. Even then, he seemed more concerned with how many spins insipid songs like "Mellow Yellow" by Donovan, or tunes by The Zombies were getting, as opposed to adding new material by core artists in the format. At the time, I suppose that task was left to Q106.

Some things never change, eh?
Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a middle ground format between Active and Classic? Bring back the AOR/Melodic Rock format. I mean, even WRIF has to be >70% of library tunes from the late 80s to early 00s. Nobody said this had to be a power, playing every hour and a half. But let's give something different a shot. Frankly, I think this would be a perfect fit for WLLZ.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:45 am

The Cooper song "Baby Please Don't Go" (from 2023 "Road") is NOT the remake of Them with Van Morrison OR The Amboy Dukes with Ted Nugent versions.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:48 am

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:14 am

Every big-star concert I went to such as billy Joel at the palace in1994, whenever the star said “I’m going to play something from the new album” people would use that as a time to head to the concourse for restroom break.

His album in 1989 storm front did have some hits played on radio.

For these stars , the relevance of their work sharply curtails, after their 40s, then no one really cares about their new work after that. Same for Rolling Stones.
Are their new songs played on FM? Is a new song by a rock group in their late 70s relevant? What can they say now that they didn’t say on all the previous farewell tours?

Do The Who still play “my generation”? …. How’s that line in the song “ I hope I die before I get old” working out?

I hope Medicare lives until I die….. there’s a new line to be written!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:46 pm

radiofann wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:14 am
Every big-star concert I went to such as billy Joel at the palace in1994, whenever the star said “I’m going to play something from the new album” people would use that as a time to head to the concourse for restroom break.
Very good point. Some exceptions that jump to mind include:
  • Rolling Stones' Some Girls tour in 1978. By the time they hit Detroit in July, that album was all over rock radio.
  • Queen's A Night at the Opera tour in 1976. No one was going to miss hearing "Bohemian Rhapsody". (I caught this tour in Indianapolis, with Bob Seger as an opening act)
  • Tours for single-heavy albums in the early and mid-80's when MTV was at its peak, like Thriller, Born in the U.S.A., Like a Virgin, No Jacket Required (Phil Collins), Purple Rain, and Whitney Houston's debut album.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:51 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:07 pm
Old Uncle Fred (Jacobs) the so called godfather and inventor of all things classic rock, always makes it a point to say "We don't play new releases by classic artists"
The Jacobs are still at it? I can't believe a Gen X, Millenial or Gen Z programmer would take their phone calls.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:58 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:07 pm
Old Uncle Fred (Jacobs) the so called godfather and inventor of all things classic rock, always makes it a point to say "We don't play new releases by classic artists"
Documented the first classic rock, with CR even in the positioning statement, was M105/Cleveland, 1980. Eric Stevens was PD. A few years before Fred's claim.

Cooper last year released a cover of Velvet Underground's "Rock and Roll" with "a Detroit radio station" subbed in the lyrics. Was good. CSX did play it.

As for new music from a classic rock artist I bet the new Stones song "Angry" getting spins. Its good.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:32 pm

I call foul. There was a positioner going around in the early 90s that classic rock stations would use that said "It doesn't have to be old to be a classic". Right around the time alternative bands were getting spins on AOR stations and certain artists were getting moved to classic rock. By the late 90s, that was over on MTV and rock radio. Imagine my surprise of Bon Jovi and Aerosmith having current product on CHR in 2001!
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:12 pm

Do either CSX or Wheels even play Alice Cooper at all?
Music is my life.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:46 am

Besides The Rolling Stones "Some Girls", Bob Seger "Stranger In Town" also got heavy FM airplay in Michigan in the Summer of 1978!!!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:21 am

AMFMTV wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:58 pm
As for new music from a classic rock artist I bet the new Stones song "Angry" getting spins. Its good.
Great song and video. Felt the old perfectly blending with the new, just like the Alice Cooper album.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:05 am

The actress is Sydney Sweeney in the Rolling Stones music video!!!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:51 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:12 pm
Do either CSX or Wheels even play Alice Cooper at all?
I think they at least play "School's Out".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic