Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

910 am super station breaking news

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
ChrisWL1980

Re: 910 am super station breaking news

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:39 pm

Sure would be nice to have an oldies station I can get clearly 24/7 and don't have to be tied to an Internet connection or mobile data to listen to. I can get WPON and CKWW during the day but both disappear at night. CKWW is going away soon anyway. AM 1200's short tenure with the Classic Soul format sounded great. Too bad that didn't pan out.
At one point Detroit had three oldies stations, plus one Motown/Rhythmic Gold station, on HD2/3 side channels. All are gone.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:18 pm

Religious and foreign language broadcasters are the only folks interested in large market AM facilities, for the most part. iHeartMedia is an exception, as they've purchased a few AM facilities recently to find homes for the Black Information Network, but they've already got a home for that programming in AM 1130.

I suspect WFDF is not for sale. There may be programming providers willing to pay money to get their network programming carried on a major market signal.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:30 am

Facebook page also a few days out of date. I enjoyed Kevin the urban conservative in the morning, he was discontinued a few months ago. I noticed it was calling itself urban radio, and al sharptons network also is called urban. I enjoyed hearing the perspectives and callers also. The audience and hosts certainly were not monolithic in thinking. I was looking forward to Robert McNamara’s program today but it’s espn.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:01 am

Just heard ID. Home to the best sports talk in the Motor City.
That settles that. 910 is officially sports.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:43 pm

I'm assuming National sports feed? Not locally hosted.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:22 pm

As far as this weekend's programming, that's correct.

I suspect most weekday dayparts will consist of the national feed, too, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a local show or two at some point.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:58 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:17 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:25 pm
Another Brother Stair 24/7 format? ;)

In all seriousness, I'm guessing a flip to Sports.

They've been using ESPN Radio in overnights and some weekend time slots for a while.

My longshot guess would be an Ethnic format, similar to 102.3 Windsor.

My ultra longshot guess is Oldies.
Colonel Flagg would enjoy hearing black oldies... Classic Soul. Or, as Jim Harper would say, Motown Gold. Birmingham, Alabama has TWO classic soul stations. It's shameful that Detroit can't even support ONE. WMTG was a good idea when Harper put it together many years ago, but I don't think it was given much of a chance. The stations in Birmingham, AL (WATV, and WJLD) are very active in the community and have loaded commercial breaks.

Funny you should mention WJLD. My 11th Grade English teacher worked for WJLD before Bull Connor ran him out of town for several years. When he said he had worked for WJLD, I first thought he said WJLB. We both thought it was interesting that they were both on 1400, and had such alliteratively similar call letters and format. When Bull Connor got sick and out of power, my English teacher returned to Birmingham at WBRC, soon after and now WERC. WJLD was active in the community even in the 1950s and 1960s when he was there, and of course that didn't sit well with Bull Connor either.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

edj

Post by edj » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:50 pm

It was reported many- maybe all of 910’s hosts either worked for free or bought time. I would guess those working free would split any ads they sell, of course brokered you would conceivably keep it all. If Adell wants some local hosts during the week, will he go this route again, or actually open the wallet and pay a few people?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:01 pm

Well, if it does go ESPN radio pretty much full time, wouldn't he get paid for the clearance?
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:15 pm

Not sure about that. ESPN Radio may be on a barter basis, meaning the station agrees to air a couple minutes of network spots per hour and the station gets several minutes per hour to sell locally. Also, wonder if Mel Karmazon's "Good Karma" would buy am 910. Good Karma owns ESPN Radio affiliates in many large markets, such as Chicago, New York, Los Angeles and I think Dallas. Those stations were sold to Good Karma from Disney several years ago.

edj

Post by edj » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:04 am

Good Karma also owns WKNR Cleveland, which can be heard to some degree in the Metro during the day. They air the ESPN morning show, then local until I think 6. They have the Browns rights, so that's the main topic on their shows. The New York and other stations they acquired fairly recently- I don't know offhand what changes they made, but I know they have some local shows.

Good Karma buying WFDF would probably bring a few local shows. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

As is, I can see a MAC team or some other smaller conference buying time on 910 to air their games. The signal is good during the day, a little weaker in Macomb and St. Clair. Nighttime is more of an issue to the northeast.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:13 am

If they want to do sports why not try and strike a deal with the Woodward Sports Network team and simulcast Woodward Sports on 910am? There's the obvious that Woodward might not want to even be a radio-based broadcast in addition to the videocasts they air all day. But ESPN radio, without any live and local content all day will fail miserably here in Detroit, as national sports always has and will. Detroiters and Metro Detroiters want live and local sports talk, about our teams, all day, everyday.

edj

Post by edj » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:16 am

Woodward tried that with the pitiful Roar on WCSX's translators. I would assume Woodward terminated the deal due to high cost/low revenue.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:52 pm

I think it's safe to say that reporter Steve Neavling is not a big fan of Kevin Adell. He wrote this for the Metro Times about the format flip at 910:

https://www.metrotimes.com/news/white-m ... m-33875753

But much more damning is the long thread he tweeted, laying out a whole lot of terrible insider info. Screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/0KVmuyr

"I didn't have an obligation to anyone because no one was getting paid."'- Kevin Adell

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:03 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:13 am
If they want to do sports why not try and strike a deal with the Woodward Sports Network team and simulcast Woodward Sports on 910am ...
You're talking about the podcast with Ermanni right? I've yet to listen to that.
How do you like it? Accolades and critiques please. Thanks.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic