Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

910 am super station breaking news

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 910 am super station breaking news

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:14 pm

The former hosts quoted by the Metro-Times are a bunch of whiny attention whores.

Format changes and firings in radio are common. The fact the former hosts somehow feel they have a "right" to continue broadcasting, despite drawing a meager audience on a 50 kW signal, is astonishing to me.

One quoted host claimed "we have nowhere else to go".

What about podcasting? Community access TV? 1130 WDFN? 1440 WMKM? 107.5 WGPR?

The fact some of the hosts are trying to play the race card is rather appalling. If these wannabe broadcasters are as talented as they seem to think they were, how come damn near no one listened to their talk shows?

The Metro-Times article was good for a laugh.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:26 pm

It definitely is racism. All of the hosts were people of color.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:02 pm

I'm sure some of the hosts could try to buy time on WDFN or WGPR if they wanted to. I know 910 did a great service, even if the audience was fairly small, to the Black community of Detroit.
Last edited by radioandtventhusiast on Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:14 pm

So if a poorly performing hip-hop station or urban ac station flips to rock, alternative or country - is that racist, MCRF?

I suppose 910 should've continued with its lame programming that generated a 0.0 share and was losing money to avoid offending the hosts + the few thousand people that listened?

I bet DFN and GPR would charge much more for airtime than 910, who I believe let most of these folks on their airwaves for free. Even tiny WPON charges $150 an hour.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:55 pm

Jesus Christ. I thought Kevin Adell was Black. I'm WAY out of it.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:17 pm

I will say of the talk hosts I've heard on 910 through the years, Bankole Thompson by far was the best of the bunch.

I don't often agree with his viewpoints, but he was a "natural" as a radio host.

What's amazing to me is the change at 910 has received more local media attention than the sale and subsequent format change at 93.1!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:33 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:14 pm
The former hosts quoted by the Metro-Times are a bunch of whiny attention whores.

Format changes and firings in radio are common. The fact the former hosts somehow feel they have a "right" to continue broadcasting, despite drawing a meager audience on a 50 kW signal, is astonishing to me.

One quoted host claimed "we have nowhere else to go".

What about podcasting? Community access TV? 1130 WDFN? 1440 WMKM? 107.5 WGPR?

The fact some of the hosts are trying to play the race card is rather appalling. If these wannabe broadcasters are as talented as they seem to think they were, how come damn near no one listened to their talk shows?

The Metro-Times article was good for a laugh.
Laughs are about all the Metro Times is good for :lol

WMKM probably isn't an option, as they don't fill airtime with unpaid volunteers.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Rich S

Post by Rich S » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:39 pm

We should be doing cartwheels about this format change. An AM station flipping to something other than religious or super niche programming! I’m hoping it succeeds on some level. Like to see who they get for local talent.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:45 pm

I am assuming this is a deal that helps the station. I get that not everyone has access to the internet but if one wants National sports feeds, apps and Bluetooth beats a AM signal. I know there are some weekend shows and a few shows I follow on the fox sports app

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:43 pm

Gregg Henson posted on his Twitter that the Roar is going away. Maybe this is a Segway for the Michigan Sports Network to move their content to 910.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:09 pm

So, what's the final call on this? What was running during the day today? It doesn't seem like any news is really coming out. Wiki still has it as Superstation 910, carrying brokered talk shows.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:11 pm

2100 listeners a MONTH? What does that translate to in real-time listeners? Maybe 100 people listening at the same time during a peak time, and fewer than 5 people during low-listener times? This station probably has more dx-ing listeners overnight in different states than it does local listeners.

That has got to be a record low listenership for any 50w radio station.

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:15 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:09 pm
So, what's the final call on this? What was running during the day today? It doesn't seem like any news is really coming out. Wiki still has it as Superstation 910, carrying brokered talk shows.
Turned in this morning and on the way home after work. Just the regular ESPN regular programming.

edj

Post by edj » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:27 pm

ESPN each time I tuned in.

I’m with MW on this. The hosts have nothing to gripe about- they were either volunteers or brokered. If a written contract was broken, such as paying for time in advance and not being refunded, that would be a legitimate gripe. If one of the hosts was actually on the payroll and had a guaranteed contract and Adell won’t pay, that’s a legitimate gripe. Otherwise, it’s the nature of the business. Even if Adell were making $20 million a year on the station, it’s his right to swap formats.

It’s possible he stopped subscribing to Nielsen because it wasn’t worth it. Before, 910 would draw a 0.2 or so.

WHPR in Highland Park is another option, though it’s non commercial. I guess they could get an “underwriter”.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:17 pm
I will say of the talk hosts I've heard on 910 through the years, Bankole Thompson by far was the best of the bunch.

I don't often agree with his viewpoints, but he was a "natural" as a radio host.

What's amazing to me is the change at 910 has received more local media attention than the sale and subsequent format change at 93.1!
Bankole’s show was a firebrand of anti-everything to do with the white leaders of city and county and state governing bodies, and anti- anyone working with them be they any race. I heard lt. gov Gil Christ called appalling racist names by bankole and callers such as Uncle Tom and much worse racial terms. Dugan was frequently called plantation manager.

I see no value in this racial hatred, vitriol and name calling.

His show seemed to be him venting and ranting in solo fashion with very few opportunities given to callers. Maybe they didn’t call in.

I see value in hearing his viewpoint as a way of awareness and ability to counter his major negativity. Same for Anthony adams. So negative on everything without offering realistic concrete solutions. Informative hearing the hosts and callers opinions and viewpoints.

I honestly think some hosts and callers only would be happy for a return of kwame kilpatrick and Coleman young sr. Type of administrations.

Others hosts were more positive, realistic and forward thinking in their approach.

As for ‘only black hosts’ mentioned in a previous post, Alexander zonjic had a Sunday show and as a jazz musician is a constant positive promoter of Detroit. Similarly Robert ficano, I enjoyed his Sunday morning show which had a wide range of topics, both local, state and national focus in a way other hosts did not. He was a better radio host than county executive.

The callers were very valuable In Their perspectives and viewpoints, whether I agreed or not. Over the last few years I learned to recognize them all and valued the differing viewpoints.
The value of the station was a sounding board for the local citizens in a way WJR does not fill.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic