Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jim Price

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: Jim Price

Post by Bobbert » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:34 am

Musicrewired wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:05 pm
I know he had his detractors, as evidenced regularly here, but as he was a former Tiger and a member of the 1968 World Series championship team, we celebrate his time with the organization in numerous capacities, and send our condolences to his family and friends.
Here he is, playing a significant role for the Tigers in the postgame locker room after the Tigers won the '68 World Series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tSVM_YHz9c&t=9486s

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:20 pm

Lynn Henning wrote a very respectful and friendly article about Price in the Detroit News. But even Henning acknowledged Price's faults.
“Yellow hammer.”

“The art of pitching.”

“Buggy whip.”

“Late movement.”

Radio-booth trademarks can become shopworn, even derisive, if overdone. Price’s pet phrases became somewhat exhaustive, a kind of crutch, even. And, while his most ardent fans will quibble, Price had lapsed in these waning years deeply into repetitions and a form of verbal monotony that made him significantly less than the energized expert of yesteryear.

This undoubtedly made life difficult for Dickerson, although Dickerson never for a moment let on to any impatience with Price, even as Dickerson was forced into flying solo, as it were, with Price seemingly becoming more and more detached.
(Paywall-protected) https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 553294007/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:26 pm

Unusual candor and objectivity from Henning. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:26 pm
Unusual candor and objectivity from Henning. I'm pleasantly surprised.
+1

He touched on the things that annoyed me about Price’s announcing. First report on his passing that I’ve seen do that.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:31 pm

It was great that Dan and Jim had great chemistry, even as Jim was going downhill in his later years. I'm sure it's going to be tough for Dan not to have Jim in the booth with him. At least the Tigers had several other analysts on standby, so there's a plan in place.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:25 pm

He's now in the batters box in heaven with Ernie Harwell and Sparky Anderson.

phcapstick

Post by phcapstick » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:12 pm

edj wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:46 pm
phcapstick wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:19 pm
edj wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:44 pm
Saying someone is a terrible broadcaster doesn’t mean you want them to die.
Some may wonder WTF your opinion of his skills matters at this point. He hasn't been put to rest by his family yet but you feel your little weak little imput matters.

Please share your no doubt storied accomplishments as a keyboard warrier compare with his as a industry professional. I am disgusted by this community right now.
This is a broadcasting board where we critique broadcasters. Notice that was all I criticized. I never met the man so I can’t speak for his personal life. I’m sure his family loved him. I’m sure his friends miss him. I’m sure his charity work is well appreciated and the foundation will live on.

I wasn’t going to go this deep until you made your little comment assuming anyone who criticized his broadcasting is happy he’s dead. That’s a sad thing to think. Once again, I am not happy he died. Wishing death on someone is a terrible thing.
My "little comment" was directed at you MLP. I didn't say what you are characterizing, you are attempting to deflect. I am signing off on this forum. It appears to be full of trolls living out there little fantasy lives, spreading hate. Jim Price lived a good life, I admired his life work, I'm sure whoever the hell you are your final epitaph will exceed Jim's though, right?.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:35 pm

Jim Price caused Larry Oosterman, a highly skilled play by play man, to lose his job.

I was no fan of Price's on-air work as a play by play man in the 90s. Enormous downgrade from Oosterman. He was passable as a color analyst. Always tuned out for the middle three innings he used to call on radio after being paired with Dickerson. PPM must've showed ratings sinking during the innings Price called, so thankfully, that practice was eventually abandoned.

Is Price's gravesite in a "nice area?"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

atariboy

Post by atariboy » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:35 pm
Jim Price caused Larry Oosterman, a highly skilled play by play man, to lose his job.

I was no fan of Price's on-air work as a play by play man in the 90s. Enormous downgrade from Oosterman. He was passable as a color analyst. Always tuned out for the middle three innings he used to call on radio after being paired with Dickerson. PPM must've showed ratings sinking during the innings Price called, so thankfully, that practice was eventually abandoned.

Is Price's gravesite in a "nice area?"

Sorry, couldn't resist.
My memory may be foggy, but I don't remember Price ever working with Osterman or being the play-by-play guy at PASS. Maybe his hiring meant they didn't have the budget anymore for Osterman? I thought once Price joined the booth, they had that three-headed monster thing going with Jim Northrup and Fred McLeod. I also don't remember Price back then being the parody he eventually became on the radio... but that *was* 30 years ago...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:38 pm

Price replaced Oosterman on play by play at PASS. Oosterman in an interview (link was posted somewhere in this forum within the past year) told the story regarding what happened.

Thankfully, Ernie soon arrived at PASS, with Price moving to color commentary for most innings.

McLeod never worked Tigers games to my knowledge.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:38 pm
Price replaced Oosterman on play by play at PASS. Oosterman in an interview (link was posted somewhere in this forum within the past year) told the story regarding what happened.

Thankfully, Ernie soon arrived at PASS, with Price moving to color commentary for most innings.

McLeod never worked Tigers games to my knowledge.
I seem to recall an interview of Osterman from a few years back where he pretty much said he would’ve killed Jim Price if murder was legal.

Causing someone to get fired from their job is a pretty scummy thing if you ask me.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:15 pm

I will say he made no such comment in the interview transcript I read. Perhaps you read or saw a different one.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:33 pm

This was at least 3-5 years ago

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic