Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jim Price

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Musicrewired

Re: Jim Price

Post by Musicrewired » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:05 pm

I know he had his detractors, as evidenced regularly here, but as he was a former Tiger and a member of the 1968 World Series championship team, we celebrate his time with the organization in numerous capacities, and send our condolences to his family and friends.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:09 pm

jsf wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:51 pm
I remember him from the 68 Tigers.he was not that great a player but he turned into a nice career in the media. I think he was the one who started the Fantasy camp years ago.
I remember in '68 he was forced into catching both ends of a tough double-header due to an injury to Freehan.
On PASS he was a decent color man with Osterman(?), but terrible at play-by-play, practically unlistenable. When he was at his best several years ago, he and Dickerson made a fine radio team.

RIP
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

phcapstick

Post by phcapstick » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:37 pm

What i remember fondly is how kind he was to the people he interviewed pre-game. many were amateurs, and he was so helpful and supportive to them, coaching them through the experience. I wish I had the opportunity to meet him.

I wonder how many of those detractors posting cruel little snarky posts on him on this forum feel, How proud are you media heroes today?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:43 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:25 pm
This should make the "Jim Price Stinks" crowd happy.
I was just about to suggest how proud the Jim Price Stinks crowd should be.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:46 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Most of the criticisms were fair, both of him and the Tigers organization that wouldn't fire him. Everywhere I worked, I don't remember anyone being kept on forever because they were loyal company employees. I can't remember anyone staying on with increasingly declining performance and had to die to leave the organization.

With that said, I do feel grateful for Price hosting a special event of the Mayo Smith Society about 30 years ago at Tiger Stadium. The group got to listen to speeches from Sparky Anderson and Ernie Harwell, and also got access to the Tiger dugout and locker room.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:53 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:46 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Most of the criticisms were fair, both of him and the Tigers organization that wouldn't fire him. Everywhere I worked, I don't remember anyone being kept on forever because they were loyal company employees. I can't remember anyone staying on with increasingly declining performance and had to die to leave the organization.
I couldn’t agree more. In the past few years, he truly became a parody of himself on air.

The statement from Chris Illitch today pretty much summed up why he was still there - he was a good friend and favorite of Mike and Marion Illitch.

I’m just hoping that the Tigers make the smart decision and hire Andy Dirks to be the color guy on all the home games. Not sure if he’d want to do the road games with his realtor buz

edj

Post by edj » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:44 pm

Saying someone is a terrible broadcaster doesn’t mean you want them to die.

phcapstick

Post by phcapstick » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:19 pm

edj wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:44 pm
Some may wonder WTF your opinion of his skills matters at this point. He hasn't been put to rest by his family yet but you feel your little weak little imput matters.

Please share your no doubt storied accomplishments as a keyboard warrier compare with his as a industry professional. I am disgusted by this community right now.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:46 pm

phcapstick wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:19 pm
edj wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:44 pm
Some may wonder WTF your opinion of his skills matters at this point. He hasn't been put to rest by his family yet but you feel your little weak little imput matters.

Please share your no doubt storied accomplishments as a keyboard warrier compare with his as a industry professional. I am disgusted by this community right now.
This is a broadcasting board where we critique broadcasters. Notice that was all I criticized. I never met the man so I can’t speak for his personal life. I’m sure his family loved him. I’m sure his friends miss him. I’m sure his charity work is well appreciated and the foundation will live on.

I wasn’t going to go this deep until you made your little comment assuming anyone who criticized his broadcasting is happy he’s dead. That’s a sad thing to think. Once again, I am not happy he died. Wishing death on someone is a terrible thing.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:56 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:43 pm
craig11152 wrote:
I was just about to suggest how proud the Jim Price Stinks crowd should be.
Now it's the Jim Price REALLY stinks crowd.

I've heard there is a bidding war for his services - will it be the Drew and Mike and Jim podcast or the Ron Cameron and Jim Price Show. I don't even know what a Ron Cameron is...

All kidding aside, condolences to his loved ones.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:50 pm

He stinks in a different sort of way now

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:21 am

R.I.P. Jim Price now doing Tigers games up in heaven with Ernie Harwell.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:37 am

His last game was July 9th.

Mr. Price was a great person and family man.... however the last 8 years, he didn't belong in the booth. Am I happy he won't be in the booth... yes.

Am I sad he passed away?? Yes.

I am glad he's no longer struggling with the pain and agony of his cancer battle.

God speed mr. Yellowhammer..

(Whatever a Yellowhammer is).

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:29 am

He’s definitely in my personal top 10 Tigers all time. Probably not by playing ability, but how he got me to enjoy the game.

I am not saying he was Ernie Harwell(who is?), but I liked and enjoyed his folksy delivery. I do wish he had gotten a chance to enjoy retirement for a few years for his own sake, but I loved the way he complemented Dan Dickerson during the Jim Leyland years.

Enjoy Heaven. Nice area…
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

deadend

Post by deadend » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:17 am

I thought Jim Price was awful as a color commentator. He offered no real insight and sucked the excitement right out of any broadcast. He was never qualified for the job.

With that said, I didn’t wish pain, suffering or death on him, his family or anyone else. To say I’ll miss his work on air though would be false.

I offer my condolences to his family and friends.

This is a broadcasting and media board. To be offended that we are criticizing his or anyone’s skills that work in the public eye in media, in life or death, is hypocritical. Just because someone passes doesn’t change the opinions of someone’s actions or work. No one who criticized him should be on here changing their opinion now and I am not.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic