Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What the hell is wrong with WDET's signal?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

What the hell is wrong with WDET's signal?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:07 am

Getting a clean stereo signal indoors at my house is almost impossible on my home theater receiver.

Tons of scratchiness and crackling.

I thought the station supposedly fixed its signal and audio issues a number of months ago? Reception sounds worse than ever before!

WUOM - whose tower is over 40 miles away from me - delivers a cleaner signal.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

radioandtventhusiast

Re: What the hell is wrong with WDET's signal?

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:11 pm

Usually at my house in Toledo, I can get a faint WDET signal, but at least for a week, it doesn't come in at all. Possibly at reduced power? I don't get it because they just fixed their signal problems a while back. BTW, WUOM always has a better signal than WDET in NW Toledo.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:40 pm

I lost any reason to listen to WDET years ago :rollin

Man oh man, after all of the bleating they did on-air pleading for a new transmitter, and still they have issues
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:14 pm

Yeah, no kidding. The signal seems to have gradually deteriorated over the past several weeks, but today when I checked it out, it was flat out awful.

MrJeffrey2020

Post by MrJeffrey2020 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:57 pm

It's so bad that I can sometimes receive WLDR from Traverse City on 101.9, from Lapeer.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:03 pm

Maybe they are working on or replacing the antenna in preparation for diplexing with WLLZ 106.7. The CP was issued on 12-30-22.

https://www.fccdata.org/?facid=&call=WL ... d=&lang=en
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:17 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:03 pm
Maybe they are working on or replacing the antenna in preparation for diplexing with WLLZ 106.7. The CP was issued on 12-30-22.

https://www.fccdata.org/?facid=&call=WL ... d=&lang=en
I wonder if we'll get WLLZ's signal better here in Brighton.

Or I could just buy an 80s hair metal CD compilation and split the difference.

I'm noticing I'm getting better reception of 101.7 Mike FM. Wonder if the DET problem is why.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:37 pm

There is some minor tropo occurring right now, which is possibly why 101.7 Mike FM seems stronger than normal. I'm picking up 95.1 from Chatham-Kent, ON more clearly than normal.

WDET's signal seems much better this evening than this morning. Stereo reception is now working well. During non-music segments, I do hear a slight pop in the audio about every ten seconds or so. Perhaps they are running on backup equipment of some kind.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:38 pm

I don't think the WLLZ signal will be much different in Brighton, if the do actually move. It's still licensed as a 61000 watt grandfathered superpower station. Because they moved, they'd have to stay inside the old 60 dBu contour. But it looks like they will lose their superpower status if they move, and be just 39000 watts. They also may still be short spaced to WQKL, because it now has to be 43 miles rather than 40 under old rules. Not sure about WSAQ. I'd have to plug the numbers in to see.

Only 35 miles to WQKL 107.1. Comes under Section 73.213. Under early FM rules, WPAG-FM/WQKL was considered to be a suburban station, and fell under the equitable distribution of facilities clause. WSAQ 107.1 is fully spaced at 53 miles.

WSAE 106.9 is fully spaced.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic