Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Former WJR/WXYT Host David Newman Dead at 82

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MichMash

Former WJR/WXYT Host David Newman Dead at 82

Post by MichMash » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:42 pm

https://www.freep.com/obituaries/det124013

This obituary appeared in today's online editions of the News and Free Press.

moldyoldie

Re: Former WJR/WXYT Host David Newman Dead at 82

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:59 pm

One of the few "listenable" radio talk show hosts, regardless of one's political leanings.

RIP
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:50 pm

As one whose listening experiences go back to the mid fifties and hearing the likes of Fred Wolf in the wandering wigloo, Lee Allen, Dick Purtan, JP McCarthy, Dave Dixon, Mark Parenteau, Bob Reynolds, Dave Diles, Mike Valenti and countless other local broadcasters, I honestly feel that David Newman was the best host of any type of program I ever heard. That includes stints where I lived in other major markets and national broadcasters. He was the fairest and most competent host in the talk show field. It is a shame that his health prevented his participation in discussions of the events of the past couple of decades. Really miss the movie quizzes he did. Also felt a kinship to him in that we were both cab drivers earlier in life. Hopefully he will now help influence from the great beyond and maybe make our lives a better existence.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:26 pm

The very best.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:08 pm

I remember listening to David Newman on his first show in Detroit, on WXYZ in 1974. David may never have become a legend in Detroit radio but for the fact that he was brought to town to replace yet another non-Detroiter, Alan Douglas, who took his life after his first & only broadcast:

http://news-archive.plymouthlibrary.org ... -27-CC.pdf
(See p. 3)

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:09 pm

That reminds me. I still owe Bryce a CD of David Newman. He interviewed my dad in 1983 over my dad being tried and convicted of a crime he didn't commit. I should go down and listen to it again.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:49 pm

Mr. Newman's radio career ended far too soon. R.I.P.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

conelrad

Post by conelrad » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:25 am

So sorry to hear this. I agree with those that have said what a TERRIFIC radio talk host he was. So reasoned, intelligent, prepared, and interesting. I listened to countless hours of his show on WXYT, then WJR. Was so sorry to hear of his stroke that ended his broadcast career 20 years ago or so. R.I.P. to David! (I have a cassette with parts of some of his shows that I need to get shared on YouTube or elsewhere. When I do, I'll post them here.)

Majik

Post by Majik » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:39 pm

conelrad wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:25 am
So sorry to hear this. I agree with those that have said what a TERRIFIC radio talk host he was. So reasoned, intelligent, prepared, and interesting. I listened to countless hours of his show on WXYT, then WJR. Was so sorry to hear of his stroke that ended his broadcast career 20 years ago or so. R.I.P. to David! (I have a cassette with parts of some of his shows that I need to get shared on YouTube or elsewhere. When I do, I'll post them here.)
Looking forward to that Conelrad. Thanks in advance.

65memories

Post by 65memories » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:45 pm

I had the opportunity in the 1970s to interview David for an article in the Free Press. Spent an evening with him in the WXYZ studio as he did his show. David was the voice of reason, never egotistical, never condescending. He discussed issues with intelligence. Because of this, you could disagree with him and still hold him in high esteem. He was a class act, the best interviewer I've ever heard. Nobody in talk radio today comes close.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:15 pm

I would only add, that there's nothing to add. David Newman was one of a kind, a replacement for whom doesn't exist.

I had the honor to work with David at both WXYT and WJR.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:14 am

Majik wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:50 pm
As one whose listening experiences go back to the mid fifties and hearing the likes of Fred Wolf in the wandering wigloo, Lee Allen, Dick Purtan, JP McCarthy, Dave Dixon, Mark Parenteau, Bob Reynolds, Dave Diles, Mike Valenti and countless other local broadcasters, I honestly feel that David Newman was the best host of any type of program I ever heard. That includes stints where I lived in other major markets and national broadcasters. He was the fairest and most competent host in the talk show field. It is a shame that his health prevented his participation in discussions of the events of the past couple of decades. Really miss the movie quizzes he did. Also felt a kinship to him in that we were both cab drivers earlier in life. Hopefully he will now help influence from the great beyond and maybe make our lives a better existence.
Well said. I'm sure a lot of people are feeling an emotional loss right now.

mikemach

Post by mikemach » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:37 am

Fell in love with his show on WXYT, he was the best talk show host I have ever listened to. I agree one of his major talents was that you did not have to know about his political leanings. He made me interested in many things I had no interest in prior. RIP

Tvguy

Post by Tvguy » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:45 am

I'm so sorry to hear that, I loved his show.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:00 am

David Newman was an amazing host. Always educational without too ideological. Early-mid 80s he got short shrift on WJR when Tigers bumped him to very late evenings. He got good treatment at WXYT before they grabbed the tigers and wings from WJR. His last few years on WJR, he occasionally would poke fun at the interminably long commercial breaks.

WJR could likely increase their audience share in some parts of the daytime, by playing reruns of his old shows, not only as a time capsule to the good ole days but to demonstrate an example of class act in radio program hosting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic