Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bell Media shutting down some stations including CKWW.

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Marcus

Re: Bell Media shutting down some stations including CKWW.

Post by Marcus » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:04 pm

As far as the new owner of CHAM, CKOC, and CKWW goes I think it could be either Evanov Communications or Trafalgar Broadcasting.

CJBK 1290 London ceased regular programming at 11 am today. I can see more AM signals in Ontario either being sold or being phased out before the end of the year.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:20 pm

It will almost certainly be a multicultural broadcaster.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

edj

Post by edj » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:19 pm

Did Bell even attempt selling the other stations? Some are in very large markets, especially Vancouver. Perhaps the equipment or land is worth more than a potential sale. London however may just be a lack of interest overall.

I am not as versed on Canadian radio companies, so I was just throwing out ones who may expand. I agree, most likely what they call a “third language” broadcaster will be the buyer. Windsor is covered by an FM (mostly) Arabic station, so would they go religious? I’d love oldies to stay, but I just don’t see it.

The Hamilton stations especially CHAM are powerful. I’ve even picked them up around Port Huron during the day. One will certainly go ethnic, but would both? Could AM oldies be given another try? There is a religious station in I think Oakville as well as a talk station. Are they legally allowed to target Toronto? I know rimshooter FMs have been chided by the CRTC for doing that.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:31 pm

It's hard to tell what offers better job security...working in radio or being a member of Guns N Roses.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:03 pm

Any chance that the CKWW format might move to 93.9?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:07 am

I don't expect Bell Media to ever run another Oldies station in Windsor or the rest of Canada again. I can see the new owners of CKWW carrying a great deal of programming in Mandarin and Polish in addition to a few other languages.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:11 am

London now has only one AM station, CFPL 980.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

edj

Post by edj » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:06 am

Wild card: would Moses Znaimer (AM 740 Toronto, a few FMs) look to expand? Hamilton is next door to his market, and Windsor could be a throw in. CKWW could have a similar format to 740 albeit on a much smaller scale. I don’t think he does ethnic broadcasting so that leaves what he would put on the Hamilton stations in question, especially since 740 booms in there.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:34 am

It says they intend to sell CKWW, not that it's included in the shut downs
Music is my life.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:19 am

edj wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:06 am
Wild card: would Moses Znaimer (AM 740 Toronto, a few FMs) look to expand? Hamilton is next door to his market, and Windsor could be a throw in. CKWW could have a similar format to 740 albeit on a much smaller scale. I don’t think he does ethnic broadcasting so that leaves what he would put on the Hamilton stations in question, especially since 740 booms in there.
This scenario is almost too good to be true.

There are quite a few infomercials on CFZM, especially on the weekends during the day, but they probably help to keep the bills paid.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:03 pm

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:07 am
... I can see the new owners of CKWW carrying a great deal of programming in Mandarin and Polish in addition to a few other languages.
I know quite a few folks in the Windsor area that are tri-lingual. English, French and Italian. When CHYR was still on AM (30 years ago) they would run Italian language programs on the weekend.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:02 pm

It’s been a surprise to me this station has lasted as long as it has. I’m not knocking the format. I love it. But, ever since the news/info went over to CKLW, this station has been kind of an odd dog. It’s surprising it never did more brokered shows to pay the bills.

Like other stations on the AM, it’s probably going religious or ethnic. It’s a half-decent signal. I’m sure it will serve what ever market decently.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic