Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Update - sale of WDRQ to Family Life Radio CONFIRMED

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
48125er

Re: Update - sale of WDRQ to Family Life Radio CONFIRMED

Post by 48125er » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:00 am

At least there will be LESS shitty translators over the place now.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:48 pm

Goose reportedly is remaining with Cumulus. My guess is he will wind up on WDVD (only a matter of time before they send Dave Fuller packing, I suspect) or will be transferred to Grand Rapids.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:19 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:48 pm
Goose reportedly is remaining with Cumulus. My guess is he will wind up on WDVD (only a matter of time before they send Dave Fuller packing, I suspect) or will be transferred to Grand Rapids.
I didn't even know Dave was still there.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

edj

Post by edj » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:31 pm

Detroit News finally reports story.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/enter ... 321924007/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:47 pm

I love the photo of the car infotainment system used in the story; it is tuned to Sirius XM's 1st Wave channel (not some shitty FM station). LOL

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:01 pm

I haven't listened to 93.1 regularly since they flipped from Doug to Nash. I think WYCD is the overall better country station. Cumulus didn't do a good job at running Nash in its first few years. I wonder how many people really listen to Christian Talk? It seems like much of the same demographics as those that listen to Talk radio.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:48 pm
Maybe 80s at 8 with Dave Fuller will be on WKLQ.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:26 pm

This is a big, if not crazy week in radio history for many.

93.1 FM Detroit has been a commercial operation since it started out as a simulcast of the old WJBK radio in 1947. On top of that check out the thread about Bell Media.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:09 pm

When reported in publicly published data, I know WUGN always produced impressive 12+ shares in the Tri-Cities (often a 5 share or greater), but bear in mind they - for many years - were essentially that market's version of WCSG. They now have Smile and K-Love as competition up there.

I suspect FLR on a full power signal here will earn a 1 share or less. WMUZ was near or just above a 1 share for years and years, seldom cracking a 1.5 share, and that was before K-Love gained 102.7.

Bear in mind FLR got $5 million for its old stations here, so in essence they're only paying $5 million out of pocket to gain a powerful FM signal. I suspect cume will be no greater than 100,000.

As a point of comparison, BBN recently paid $2 million for 102.9 FM in Grand Rapids.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:34 am

Matt wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:45 pm
Fuck this shit.
Since when do you like country music?
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:24 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:34 am
Matt wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:45 pm
Fuck this shit.
Since when do you like country music?
Country is ok, but I'm more annoyed that ANOTHER commercial frequency is being wasted by hate.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Mrs. W

Post by Mrs. W » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:11 pm

I have been a long follower of this website. This is my first post. I am not here to offend, just want insight. I am not in the radio business, just love music. Our radio stations in Detroit suck. 104.3, 100.3, and 96.3 are basically the same. 104.3 sprinkles in some rock, but you can hear "Pour some sugar on me" at least twice on all three stations - a day! How many times can we listen to "Heart of glass" - They are all similar. How is it in Detroit we do not have a Motown station, or true oldies station for that matter? So now we have two "rock" with 94.7 which is more tolerable than 106.7 - which sucks, and you have your country on 99.5 and in certain locations 107.1 and 88.7 - all play the same music -which is fine. We need more variety. 105.1 and 92.3 are great urban stations, and you will hear a few great old school jams, thank God for them. Working in an office, I rarely listen to the radio online anymore. So frustrating!

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:05 pm

48125er wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:00 am
At least there will be LESS shitty translators over the place now.
Sadly, not the case. Those translators are still being fed by 1030 AM, just with Catholic programming now.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:14 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:09 pm
When reported in publicly published data, I know WUGN always produced impressive 12+ shares in the Tri-Cities (often a 5 share or greater), but bear in mind they - for many years - were essentially that market's version of WCSG. They now have Smile and K-Love as competition up there.

I suspect FLR on a full power signal here will earn a 1 share or less. WMUZ was near or just above a 1 share for years and years, seldom cracking a 1.5 share, and that was before K-Love gained 102.7.

Bear in mind FLR got $5 million for its old stations here, so in essence they're only paying $5 million out of pocket to gain a powerful FM signal. I suspect cume will be no greater than 100,000.

As a point of comparison, BBN recently paid $2 million for 102.9 FM in Grand Rapids.
There's quite a bit of difference programming-wise between WMUZ and the non-comms. WMUZ is primarily a teaching/preaching/alt-right talk station with a few hours a day of music. K-Love and FLR are primarily music operations. FLR used to have several hours a day of talk and teaching but most of that was dropped in their programming overhaul a few years ago. Now they sound very much like K-Love and Smile FM. Point being, K-Love and FLR are in a better position to perhaps capture the soccer moms who want something non-sexual while chauffeuring the kids around. K-Love and FLR have music while Bob Dutko is spouting his Pizzagate/birther etc. conspiracy theories.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:10 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:14 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:09 pm

Point being, K-Love and FLR are in a better position to perhaps capture the soccer moms who want something non-sexual while chauffeuring the kids around. .

Soccer Mom's are still a thing?
If they are, they can play whatever TF they want. The kido's are talking or have their AirPods in and whatever they are hearing, it's not PG boring radio. It's most likely TikTok or Youtube bullshit.
Radio has made itself boring and irrelevant. That's why those kids could care less what Mom is playing on the radio.
They ain't listening.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic