Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Paul W. Smith moving to middays + other changes at WJR

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
windsor

Re: Paul W. Smith moving to middays + other changes at WJR

Post by windsor » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:32 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:57 am
I didn't say anything about being centrist either.
Through the lens of neither dem or rep is in the centre of objectivity.......

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:35 pm

windsor wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:32 pm
ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:57 am
I didn't say anything about being centrist either.
Through the lens of neither dem or rep is in the centre of objectivity.......
"Centrism" is the position of "both sides have a valid point." My point was that I can listen to conversations without either "side". I don't have to listen to a conversation about, for example, a traffic pattern without hearing the republican or democrat position on it. Or how we can enjoy summer time activities without the republican or democrat opinions on it.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:48 pm

Paul W. said that the new show at 5 will be called "First Thing" and be hosted by Mike Parsons.

Nice for WJR to have an all-local lineup for most of the day. WSPD in Toledo just has 2 local talk shows during the day.

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:22 pm

Did anyone catch any of the new shows today? Caught about 20 minutes of JR morning. Didn’t hate it. The production was pretty tight and gave you a lot of info.

Sherwood420

Post by Sherwood420 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:00 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:27 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:59 pm
lidoshuffle wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:50 pm
Here is how Paul W. Smith's first day as the Noon-2pm host will start...

Welcome to the Paul W. Smith Midday Show on the voice of the Great Lakes, 760 WJR Detroit....
Now sitting in for Paul W., here's....
Okay, now THAT is funny 🤣
I know Paul W, and I can assure you, even he would find it to be funny :lol

Paul W, and Mitch are truly just regular guys. I've worked with both, and never had a problem. Don't buy into the hype put out by the hysterical handwringers. They both have faults, but they are not bad guys to work with.

I've NEVER thought or felt like Paul W. and Mitch "the bitch" Albom were/are even remotely close to being "truly regular guys." That seems absolutely hysterical. When I think of regular guys, those 2 are the FURTHEST from regular guys I can think of.

A couple DIVAS, with egos bigger than the state of Michigan.

Mitch "THE BITCH" Albom is a proven liar and plagarist. He also has "an air" about himself while on-air. Does not seem relatable on the LEAST.

Paul W. Smith seems like he REALLY loves himself some PAUL W. SMITH. The dude just oozes ego over the radio.

As I said, those 2 CLOWNS 🤡 seem to be the furthest from regular guys you could possibly find. I'm not sure what makes those 2 "regular guys", as I'm guessing they aint ever did "regular guy shit" in their whole life.

I'm glad they were nice to you tho. However, regular guys🤣🤣 is beyond comical to me.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:48 am

Tuned into Paul W yesterday afternoon for a few minutes. He had 100 guests on, and every single one of them had his nutsack on their chin. My God, the amount of knob-slobbing happening about how he's such an amazing radio personality and what he's done for Detroit... :barf

Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:22 pm

In one of those advertising booklets that everyone gets in the mail, there was a full page ad by Cumulus Media promoting the new lineup and schedule on WJR. It had pictures of everybody, as well as detailed information about the ad outreach of the station. You don't see that too often, so I guess they're really trying to give it a big push.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:38 pm

Heard Paul W. briefly today. He was talking about some restaurant discontinuing a dish. I quickly turned the dial.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:53 pm

I've worked with Paul W, and as much as I like him, I don't think this is going to move the needle very much. There's really no effort being put into these changes. One example would be the glaring lack of production. Paul still has the same intro/outro and bumper music that he had in AM drive. The show opens with that awful bluegrass style ukulele theme that doesn't fit and never has. Intro and outro is still Abacab, by Genesis. I mean, what the hell, nobody cares enough to come up with fresh production elements for a new show?

This show is "Focus" in name only. Those of us who are old enough to remember the original Focus are the only ones here who will understand that. This needs a LOT of work.

As for Guy Gordon in the morning, that's not going to cut it either. Guy has the same limitations he had in the afternoon. Lloyd Jackson needs to be a newsman, which is what he does well. The idiotic "Senior News Anal-yst" format torpedoes all of that. Lloyd sounds uncomfortable as Guy's co-host. Let him do local news, and converse with Guy. Let him do his job. Cam Knox doing traffic is another thing. As amusing as it is, when you remember the talented, late Joel Alexander, and Dennis Neubacher, it's not that funny anymore.

Sportswrap... 6PM is too early. It belongs at 7:00 where it always was, and an hour isn't enough. Sean Baligian is just getting warmed up, and the show is over. He sounds very rushed. Bump the paid programs to 8:00 and Mark Levin to 9:00.

Chris Renwick... Probably the only bright spot in the lineup. With some work, I think Chris will be okay. His only limitations are his overlords.

Okay, let the vitriol begin. :smokin

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:10 pm

The show opens with that awful bluegrass style ukulele theme that doesn't fit and never has.
I definitely agree on that point.

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:56 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:53 pm
One example would be the glaring lack of production. Paul still has the same intro/outro and bumper music that he had in AM drive. The show opens with that awful bluegrass style ukulele theme that doesn't fit and never has. Intro and outro is still Abacab, by Genesis. I mean, what the hell, nobody cares enough to come up with fresh production elements for a new show?
They missed a golden opportunity to update all their music and ids to modernize it. Even their tag lines on some of the production and ads aren’t consistent. Is it News Talk 760? (There is no news). Where Detroit comes to talk? Where Michigan comes to talk? Voice of Midwest-America?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:48 am

The station's weekend schedule is an embarrassment.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:09 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:48 am
The station's weekend schedule is an embarrassment.
I agree, but can you be more specific?

I was listening to Jim Harper's Saturday morning show at first, but quickly got bored with it.

The Inside Outside Guys is a tough listen, because the outside guy sounds like he's broadcasting from a tiled bathroom. If you're too lazy to go to the radio station, at least make sure your "home studio" is set up properly. I guarantee, if Ed Buterbaugh was still around, he would not put up with that. It sounds like complete shit. There's no other way to say it.

Mark Hollis is so boring on Sunday mornings that he makes Tom Jordan sound exciting. Where does Mike Wheeler dig up all of these radio retreads?

Not sure who's doing the weekend version of Sportswrap now. Probably still Chris Renwick.

The rest of the WJR weekend is a roster of infomercials, reruns, and MSU programs that even MSU alum probably don't care about.

Old reruns of the late Bruce Williams "Talknet" shows would probably be more compelling than a lot of this junk. :lol

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:59 am

I have nothing to add; you did a great job touching on everything that's wrong with the weekend lineup. It features many hours worth of throwaway programming. Little to no sports programming (other than USFL football - barf), minimal news oriented programming, not even much in the way of "how to" advice programming anymore, and tons of paid programming.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:20 pm

Only good weekend show is Joe Gagnon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic