Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Grand Prix is lame

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

The Grand Prix is lame

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:03 pm

I think I've driven faster on the go-cart track than these Indy car drivers. The speeds were pitiful other than the wide straight-away section of the track.

CurlyHoward

Re: The Grand Prix is lame

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:07 pm

IndyCar died decades ago when the stupid CART-IRL split happened. Even the Indy 500 is barely watchable anymore.

RedfordRob

Post by RedfordRob » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:35 pm

I thinks it's great, Indycar just needs to bring a race back to MIS.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:29 pm

I went to every F1 race downtown, it was amazing. Indy drivers only seem to know how to drive in circles. I lost interest when they went to Belle Isle.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

65memories

Post by 65memories » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:42 pm

I love the Grand Prix downtown. Liked it 40 years ago.... like it now. Much more action through the city streets. I never liked it when it was on Belle Isle.

mr v

Post by mr v » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:26 am

All the Indycar drivers said the Detroit course was horrible, except for the Penske drivers. Because Penske is the one who brought the race to Detroit. https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/m ... 285091007/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:47 am

The dishonest, bought and paid for Detroit media refuse to objectively report on the shitiness of the track, the main issue being its tightness.

Kudos to the Indy Star for its excellent reporting. The drivers agree with me; it's a fucking go-cart track.

Great find, Mr V!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:28 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:47 am
The dishonest, bought and paid for Detroit media refuse to objectively report on the shitiness of the track, the main issue being its tightness.

Kudos to the Indy Star for its excellent reporting. The drivers agree with me; it's a fucking go-cart track.

Great find, Mr V!
I don’t know… I would think a more difficult course or an extremely difficult one might make a bunch of cars whizzing by looking the exact same 100 times or more somewhat interesting.

Instead… whining about the tightness of the track or the bumps. And these are supposed to be extremely good drivers…

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:41 am

Hard to pass when so much of the track has little to no passing room. The turns would make for a great race if the track were wider. Too much of the time the cars were driving at very sluggish speeds. I think the QLine train goes faster!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:55 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:41 am
Hard to pass when so much of the track has little to no passing room. The turns would make for a great race if the track were wider. Too much of the time the cars were driving at very sluggish speeds. I think the QLine train goes faster!
All the more need for those mad skillz they have then. Knowing the streets in a midwestern city… they don’t make a good street course.

I also firmly believe the local stations literally can’t afford to be negative to any major events in town. They need interviews/future interviews/advertisers.
30 years ago they could do it but companies would be less likely to cut them off.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:20 am

Rate This wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:55 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
All the more need for those mad skillz they have then. Knowing the streets in a midwestern city… they don’t make a good street course.

I also firmly believe the local stations literally can’t afford to be negative to any major events in town. They need interviews/future interviews/advertisers.
30 years ago they could do it but companies would be less likely to cut them off.
So they're really NOT journalists... just glorified PR folks with a camera and a platform.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:45 am

km1125 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:20 am
Rate This wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:55 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

So they're really NOT journalists... just glorified PR folks with a camera and a platform.
Effectively they’ve been scared into it… publish negative information and risk being cut off by the company. Much of the news items in a local newscast are PR releases translated into copy. Investigative and crime stories are not included in this. But “Meijer is opening a new store in Timbuktu!” is from a press release.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:27 am

mr v wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:26 am
All the Indycar drivers said the Detroit course was horrible, except for the Penske drivers. Because Penske is the one who brought the race to Detroit.
Historically Detroit hypes this thing and like others have pointed out they provide a "track as is". I think it is deplorable that a nationally televised event such as this would provide such a bumpy and insulting raceway for the drivers. To further illustrate this point I remember one year on Belle Isle when parts of the raceway literally peeled up right during the race and it was so bad that they had to stop the race and fix it. All of this is of maximum embarrassment to the planners and the promoters which includes the city of Detroit administration.
Last edited by SixPlusOne on Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:33 am

Excellent post, SixPlusOne.

You are right that rough pavement and even what appeared to be asphalt debris from recent repaving or patching were issues yesterday.

That track would've been more appropriate for dune buggies perhaps.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:17 pm

The same sort of thing happened years ago with "Back To The Bricks" in Flint. There was some trouble, and I believe WJRT and The Flint Journal were told not to say anything about it, or they would be cut off as partners.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic