Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WADL to be sold to Nexstar (through Mission Broadcasting)

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

WADL to be sold to Nexstar (through Mission Broadcasting)

Post by mtburb » Wed May 17, 2023 8:27 pm

An FCC filing just submitted today has confirmed that WADL is set to be sold to Mission Broadcasting, with Nexstar handling station operations.
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... c&goBack=N
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 27840.html

If the deal goes through, this will be the seventh Nexstar-operated station in Michigan, joining WOOD, WXSP, and WOTV in Grand Rapids-Battle Creek-Kalamazoo, WLNS and WLAJ in Lansing, and WJMN in Marquette; and WADL would most likely also acquire the CW affiliation from outgoing WKBD, potentially bumping My Network TV to overnight timeslots.
Last edited by mtburb on Wed May 17, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Editorcj

Re: WADL to be sold to Nexstar (through Mission Broadcasting)

Post by Editorcj » Wed May 17, 2023 10:08 pm

Perhaps Kevin will buy some more cars for his collection with the money.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Thu May 18, 2023 12:40 am

I think we can expect the new "CW 38" to be a great improvement. The presentation will no longer be like that of a public access station. And I expect we'll be getting Rewind TV in our diginet lineup. Funny enough, we may even see Antenna TV return to 38.

MNT will probably be 38.1's secondary affiliation, and it will probably be carried from 2am-4am, that's when many other Nexstar stations with secondary (and, in the case of WPHL, even primary) MNT affiliations carry the programming service's lineup. (Although, in my opinion, MyNet is more of a programming disservice)

They may dump MNT altogether. Since September 2022, two major markets (Boston and Seattle) haven't had a MNT station. Detroit may be one of those markets too now. Boo hoo
Last edited by Splouge on Mon May 29, 2023 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Thu May 18, 2023 4:55 am

I wonder if we'll see Nexstar pull a Fox/New World and switch as many O&O stations they can to The CW. It would be another major network realignment to rival what happened in 1994.

edj

Post by edj » Thu May 18, 2023 6:15 am

I still remember when 38 was mostly infomercials and ancient movies with cut ins hosted by a woman from the Star Theatre in Madison Heights, later Southfield. Station has come a long way since then.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 18, 2023 7:14 am

Wow - this is quite the stunner, I must say.

A station services agreement is being entered between Mission and Nexstar.

Adell is selling the station for $75 million, per the asset purchase agreement that is on public record with the FCC. I'm surprised Mission is willing to pay that much. I would've put the station's value at about half that price, if I had to guess randomly. "Stick" value of ~$15 per potential viewer seems high.

Mission has to pay $155,500 per month to Nexstar to boot.

Mission must be banking on an ability to negotiate retrans fees from cable and sat providers for CW and diginet programming - see my post below for more thoughts on that topic.

Do Mission and Nexstar share common ownership? (Edit - Nexstar dubs Mission a variable interest entity for financial reporting purposes. The extent and nature of Nexstar insider ownership in Mission or ability to control Mission's affairs is unclear. Nexstar itself holds no voting stock in Mission.)

It would not surprise me if Nexstar is effectively financing much of the purchase price that Mission will pay via a loan to Mission.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 18, 2023 8:27 am

I predict Nexstar is going to try to bundle the GR, Lansing and Detroit stations together when negotiating retrans agreements with Comcast, Spectrum, Dish and DirecTV.

In other words, they'll try to bilk the carriers to pay fees for WADL since the CBS, NBC and ABC affiliated stations outstate are important to the carriers due to their large market shares of viewership (especially WOOD and WLNS).

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu May 18, 2023 12:41 pm

Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

Mission Broadcasting Buying WADL Detroit

https://tvnewscheck.com/business/articl ... l-detroit/

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Thu May 18, 2023 2:05 pm

Keep an eye on WPHL Philly, WTTA Tampa, and KRON San Francisco as well, these Nexstar-owned MNT affiliates are in markets where CBS will be dumping CW. Whatever those three stations do, 38 will probably follow suit.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Thu May 18, 2023 3:03 pm

Kevin Adell is a quality human being that will reap this massive windfall....
https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wadl-fires ... day/41373/

edj

Post by edj » Thu May 18, 2023 7:50 pm

Adell was going to sell WADL in the spectrum auction but the bids were nowhere near what he had hoped.

$75 million for a station with low viewership both OTA and cable/satellite is a great deal for Adell.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu May 18, 2023 10:12 pm

Splouge wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:05 pm
Keep an eye on WPHL Philly, WTTA Tampa, and KRON San Francisco as well, these Nexstar-owned MNT affiliates are in markets where CBS will be dumping CW. Whatever those three stations do, 38 will probably follow suit.
Any bets that WADL will become "The Great 38", like WTTA?

HD74

Post by HD74 » Fri May 19, 2023 12:06 am

This may be totally cool.
Let us wait and see.
Good luck Perry!

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri May 19, 2023 12:20 am

I know that DirecTV & Mission stations have been dark since late Oct of last year and DirecTV is suing Nexstar. Yeah, RewindTV on WADL subchannels Antenna TV I don't know got to wait until Scripps deal runs out whenever that is. CW38 in Detroit come fall of 2023. Antena TV has been on Fox17 since day 1 as that was a Tribune TV station until that was sold to Scripps in fall of 2019, I thought then that Antenna TV was going to move to WOOD TV or WOTV subchannel that hasn't happened.

Oddly Nexstar airs alot of Sinclair's diginets Comet which is WXSP .3 was on WWMT .3 before the move on Sep 1, 2021, Charged WOTV .3, Stadium WXSP .2 few months ago dropping COZI TV. The only one that Nexstar doesn't have is TBD which is on WWMT .3 was always surprised that Spectrum didn't ever added WWMT .3 when it was Comet Comcast did have WWMT .3 when Comet was launched.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

conelrad

WADL TV sold

Post by conelrad » Sun May 21, 2023 7:34 am

Metro Detroit media mogul sells WADL-TV as feds pursue him for unpaid estate, gift taxes

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 239987007/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic