Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CW 50 to ditch The CW, return to independence

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
lush.rimbaugh

Re: CW 50 to ditch The CW, return to independence

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Sat May 06, 2023 5:23 am

edj wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:15 pm
WADL is the likely candidate. I wouldn't rule out a subchannel of WDIV.
I'd say a low power channel would be more likely than WMYD or WPXD.
I could see CW turning up as a subchannel somewhere - but why WDIV? Does Graham Media Group have any sort of connection to Nexstar?

RE a potential 'CW38' - does anyone know what WADL's agreement with MyNetwork tv? Could they easily break that contract?

edj

Post by edj » Sat May 06, 2023 6:16 am

Obviously WWJ is out. I’m ruling out the Scripps stations which means WXYZ, WMYS and (nominally) WPXD. I don’t see WJBK a Fox O&O picking it up. I don’t know Graham Media’s connection if at all, I chose them because they are the only other choice other than WADL and low power stations.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat May 06, 2023 10:25 am

It turns out that 31 WPXD is owned by a group known as Inyo Broadcast Holdings based in Salt Lake City. They own 23 TV stations according to their website. Nexstar is big enough to either purchase WPXD or trade one of their existing TV stations for it. I have a feeling that Nexstar is going to make CW 31 happen somehow. They will have a solid signal from Washtenaw County to the East side of the Metro. Channel 38 does not have a centrally located tower site and has weak spots in Ann Arbor.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sat May 06, 2023 11:45 am

lush.rimbaugh wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 5:23 am
edj wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:15 pm
WADL is the likely candidate. I wouldn't rule out a subchannel of WDIV.
I'd say a low power channel would be more likely than WMYD or WPXD.
I could see CW turning up as a subchannel somewhere - but why WDIV? Does Graham Media Group have any sort of connection to Nexstar?

RE a potential 'CW38' - does anyone know what WADL's agreement with MyNetwork tv? Could they easily break that contract?
Just so everyone is aware, My Network is not a network and hasn't been for 10 years or more. They are a "program service" (as spelled out in their contract.)

They provide 2 hours of programing weekdays. That's a total of 10 a week!

Since their service is not on satellite anymore, stations can play that programing at any time the station chooses to play it. Some markets run it in the mid of the night and some after prime and some early fringe.

Whatever time WADL is currently running the My Network shows, they could change to anytime they would like to move it too.
Last edited by tvbobn on Tue May 09, 2023 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat May 06, 2023 1:41 pm

WADL would probably be the best choice for the CW. Run the CW in primetime and move the MyNetwork programming to after 10 when the CW's primetime ends or put it in overnights.

As for 50 being independent again, I'd love to see TIgers and Wings games again on there like they were prior to 2004 and put a game on a subchannel in the event of a programming conflict. I don't know if they will, but if Bally's Sports fails, this might be the best option for them.

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Sat May 06, 2023 1:53 pm

tvbobn wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 11:45 am

Just so everyone is aware, My Network is not a network and hasn't been for 10 years or more. They are a "program service" (as spelled out in their contract.)

They provide 2 hours of programing weekdays. That's a total of 10 a week!

Since their service is not on satellite anymore, stations can play that programing at any time the station chooses to play it. Some markets it runs in the mid of the night and some after prime and some early fringe.

Whatever time WADL is currently running the My Network shows, they could change to anytime they would like to move it too.
Yes, I was aware MyNetwork TV is not a network, I just wasn't sure what their contractual obligations would be.

I forgot that Scripps bought ION. So it does make some sense that ION could move to WMYD.

WADL would certainly be more attractive to The CW than WPXD, but WPXD could be bought by Nexstar - they don't have a foothold in Detroit - and turned into CW31, with Antenna and Newsnation as subchannels.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 06, 2023 2:40 pm

CW programming, provided affiliation terms are economically sensible, would certainly help WADL.

I could also see WMYD picking up the CW (why not?).

I don't see ION moving to WMYD but stranger things have happened, I suppose. Scripps likely has a long term affiliation deal in place with Inyo, owner of WPXD.

Perhaps WPXD keeps ION and adds CW by dumping one or more of its other channels.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat May 06, 2023 4:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 2:40 pm
CW programming, provided affiliation terms are economically sensible, would certainly help WADL.

I don't see ION moving to WMYD but stranger things have happened, I suppose. Scripps likely has a long term affiliation deal in place with Inyo, owner of WPXD.

Perhaps WPXD keeps ION and adds CW by dumping one or more of its other channels.
Whoa there, Kemo Sabe. I need 6 religious and infomercial channels. Don't get rid of any of them.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat May 06, 2023 7:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

Agreed. 31.1 could become CW and 31.2 might be where Ion moves to. Both could air with 720p resolution.

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Sun May 07, 2023 11:50 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 4:03 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

Whoa there, Kemo Sabe. I need 6 religious and infomercial channels. Don't get rid of any of them.
Good point! :rollin

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun May 07, 2023 1:09 pm

I'm now wondering what channel 50 will air on weekdays this Fall. I can see CBS News Detroit airing at 8pm or 9 pm. Outside of that the CBS owned independents in each city have different lineups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_News_and_Stations

Sky

Post by Sky » Sun May 07, 2023 4:05 pm

I think Bounce belongs on TV-20. Isn’t The CW going out of business?

Sky

Post by Sky » Sun May 07, 2023 4:10 pm

TV20 needs a power boost up to 5 million watts.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 07, 2023 4:13 pm

I agree that Bounce is worthy of an HD signal.

You are indeed correct that the CW is cancelling production of most of its original series.

https://movieweb.com/the-cw-tv-shows-we ... %20shakeup.

FCC ERP maximum for UHF in the DTV era is 1 million watts.

Sfpcp

Post by Sfpcp » Mon May 08, 2023 7:45 pm

On a somewhat tangential note does anyone out there watch the CW?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic