Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I guess local TV stations no longer broadcast weather warnings?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

I guess local TV stations no longer broadcast weather warnings?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:09 am

Not a single station in the market has a warning icon on the screen for Monroe County's severe thunderstorm warning.

Hilarious given all the idiotic promos 2, 4 and 7 run touting their weather coverage. These people all suck at doing their job. This problem would never happen in a million years in the West MI market.

The warning bulletin from the NWS even has a "tornado possible" tag. Every single station is missing in action.

Edit:. Channel 7 finally got around to putting the map on its screen, at least 20 minutes after initial warning issuance. They removed it, though, when cutting to commercial. Still nothing from the other stations.

OnTopic

Re: I guess local TV stations no longer broadcast weather warnings?

Post by OnTopic » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:40 am

Most stations have a computer system that requires manually triggering the mapping or ticker. This is something every weather team has fought against but is a byproduct of the supplier of all the weather systems. Unfortunately until something large happens and nothing is triggered it won't change how said supplier allows these to trigger.

edj

Post by edj » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:02 pm

There was hail downriver earlier. Not large but could have been.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:04 pm

Timely warning display only seems to be a problem here. West MI stations almost never have an issue getting the map on screen in timely fashion.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:14 pm

The Toledo stations had them. I checked the Detroit stations and didn't see anything either, and I thought that was pretty odd. Were they all asleep?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:04 pm
Timely warning display only seems to be a problem here. West MI stations almost never have an issue getting the map on screen in timely fashion.
The 17 other ways alerts come to you aren’t enough?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:32 pm

Significant damage in Dundee from this storm that most local TV outlets ignored completely. Looks like EF-1 tornado damage to me - probably 90 mph to 100 mph winds. The debris is scattered in multiple directions and some structural elements look twisted.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/photos-damage ... rough-area

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:04 pm

82⁰ and no clouds in Miami Beach today, 10% chance of a shower overnight. The TV stations nailed it.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:40 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:32 pm
Significant damage in Dundee from this storm that most local TV outlets ignored completely. Looks like EF-1 tornado damage to me - probably 90 mph to 100 mph winds. The debris is scattered in multiple directions and some structural elements look twisted.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/photos-damage ... rough-area
Looks more like something a downburst and straight line winds would do. The NWS verdict on it will be interesting.

jmeltonwx

Post by jmeltonwx » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:53 pm

NWS confirms an EF-0 tornado with 80 MPH winds hit Dundee this morning.
https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/af ... 2304012213

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:14 pm

My guess was in the ballpark; thanks for the info!

On the ground for 7.3 miles; that's a respectable path length.

The report noted, too, that wind tunnel effects from close clustering of downtown buildings enhanced effective wind speed (even though rated speed was only 80 mph).

Major thumbs down to 2, 4 and 62 for completely failing to display any warning info on-air, and I also didn't see any cut-ins on these stations. I did see a pair of brief cut-ins on WXYZ, even though they failed to display the warning icon other than for a brief minute or two. At least they offered more info than the other stations.

Taco

Post by Taco » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:25 pm

Just wait until there are a lot of casualties and devastation in the area because they chose not to warn. Would be rather humiliating. What kind of dog and pony show are they running down there in the D? Wasn't Ahmed cutting in programming? He rocked it at 25.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:04 pm

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

OnTopic

Post by OnTopic » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:36 pm

CBS had live videos last night and automated warnings on their digital pages this morning. But nothing on the TV. I would assume since they have no weekend staff there was no person in the station.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:40 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:09 am
Not a single station in the market has a warning icon on the screen for Monroe County's severe thunderstorm warning.

Hilarious given all the idiotic promos 2, 4 and 7 run touting their weather coverage. These people all suck at doing their job. This problem would never happen in a million years in the West MI market.

The warning bulletin from the NWS even has a "tornado possible" tag. Every single station is missing in action.

Edit:. Channel 7 finally got around to putting the map on its screen, at least 20 minutes after initial warning issuance. They removed it, though, when cutting to commercial. Still nothing from the other stations.
I remember years ago when WFQX in Cadillac used AccuWeather. The station was notorious for being anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes late with the map and weather crawls.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:38 pm

organman95 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:40 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:09 am

I remember years ago when WFQX in Cadillac used AccuWeather. The station was notorious for being anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes late with the map and weather crawls.
Who was that goofy guy that did the wx updates for AccuWeather?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic