Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NO Detroit Tigers :(

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Taco

NO Detroit Tigers :(

Post by Taco » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:08 pm

Doesn't look like I'm gonna get to watch many Tigers games this year. Bally sports isn't on Dish. I can't use MLB.TV to watch them because of the blackout restrictions. Looks like the only games I'll see will be what is airing nationally. I really wish the games were still on local channels. Being the 21st century, I don't think blackout restrictions are necessary.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Sgt. Sackto

Re: NO Detroit Tigers :(

Post by Sgt. Sackto » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:10 pm

Just think of all the disappointment you will spare yourself. :)

DFELD2005

Post by DFELD2005 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:14 pm

Maybe take a look at DirecTV Stream, Choice Package (can use your own devices, including cell phone).
https://www.directv.com/shop/stream/choice-package
$99.99 per month
Last edited by DFELD2005 on Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taco

Post by Taco » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:53 pm

I don't wanna change providers just watch the games. It's just disappointing there isn't a way to watch with what I am already paying.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:53 pm

Bally is advertising $5 off a month for new subscribers through 3/6 for 12 months. Yes they will go bankrupt, but they will continue on and on and on and become a never ending punch line for some. Either listen on the radio or pay up. Bally will stay in the most premium cable packages because of there absurdly high rates, and there app will continue to be clunky. The picture is great mind you, but the app is not so much.

https://thestreamable.com/news/deal-ale ... ercent-off

It's actually smart timing because the hockey/basketball fans will be cancelling soon and the baseball fans haven't gotten interested yet.

EDIT: And honestly, nothing is going to come out any cheaper. At $250 a year including tax, if all you watch is baseball you are getting ACCESS to 130 games at about $2 each and if you watch the occasional MHSAA event, Red Wings or Pistons game it will come out cheaper.

The real knuckleheads are the people paying to go to these games, and spending half the game time in the concourse and another third of their time in the seat on their phones.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:19 pm

Keep an eye on what happens with AT&T Sportsnet. When they shutdown in the next month, Bally Sports will use the same playbook to essentially go out of business.

The systems are already well established to just go to distribution via streaming to anyone that wants to pay for it. Once the RSN's give up their contracted rights to the games and disappear altogether, MLB will be forced to allow local fans to stream games legally.

I feel bad for all the people at the RSNs that are about to be unemployed.
Wellllll... la de frickin da

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:46 pm

If the doomsday scenarios are true, ticket prices for MLB are going to go through the fucking roof. There are star players signed to unbreakable nine-figure long term contracts by teams that assumed the TV money gravy train was going to keep rolling in forever. They have to make that money somehow and it's already been proven most people aren't going to pay beaucoup bucks to watch shitty teams like the Tigers of the past few years on TV.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:42 am

Baseball is going to suffer until they get rid of the pitch clock. In fact, this former pitcher may boycott it. That’s before any possible ticket price increase.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:09 pm

Did ballys remove the streaming app they launched last year?

Sholmes

Post by Sholmes » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:17 pm

I head MLB has a plan with their app to open up all the games if the RSN does go under

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:37 pm

Tigers are on MLB network tonight at 6:30.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:32 pm

Too bad the Tigers themselves aren't going away. I'm already tired of the team's campy commercials for tix featuring Dickerson's shouting.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:15 pm

So when an opposing batter strikes out because of the pitch clock.... is that moronic Jim Price going to use Yellow Hammer or Buggy Whip????

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:34 am

Taco wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:53 pm
I don't wanna change providers just watch the games. It's just disappointing there isn't a way to watch with what I am already paying.
the bolded part is completely your decision. Others have provided alternatives.
Obviously it isn't THAT important to you

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:17 pm

Sholmes wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:17 pm
I head MLB has a plan with their app to open up all the games if the RSN does go under

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
In truth I think this is impossible! There is a prestige factor in carrying sports which would be lost if the league carried all the games on its own carrier. The economic reality becomes which fans are willing to pay for a package of games or an entire league pass. With Philo and Sling chipping away at basic cable packages, baseball would wind up in the premium packages.

I too was shocked at AT&T walking away from their RSN's for no consideration! Amazingly the NBA is expecting to double$ their current deal with ESPN/TNT. Bally had over half a billion still despite not making an interest payment. If the debt holders are willing to take equity, Sinclair too could walk away empty handed and the AT&T RSN's could go to Bally as they continue to limp along barely making league payments. This keeps inflated team prices and contracts paid, making both owners and players satisfied.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic