Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

December Ratings

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Greg Buben

December Ratings

Post by Greg Buben » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:59 pm

The Nielsen ratings for December came out and the number one station is WNIC with Christmas music. That was quite
a jump from about a 4% share in November to a 11.7% share in December. The Ticket with sports was number two with a
7.4% share. I have no comment as to why I think the top two were what they were but I'm happy that WCSX was third with
a 5.9% share. I still say WCSX is the best classic rock station not only in Detroit but the whole state of Michigan. It always
beats its competition WLLZ and it's so much better than outstate classic rockers such as WLAV in Grand Rapids and
WMMQ in Lansing. I believe that WCSX is as good as commercial classic rock FM radio can get not only in Detroit but in
all of Michigan.
Getting beyond WCSX I noticed that their sister station active rock station WRIF was number four with a 5.8% share.
I believe that between WCSX and WRIF it clearly shows that Detroit is still a good rock market. Beasley does the best
in my opinion when it comes to FM commercial rock radio in Detroit. Another interesting thing is how the Classic Hits
station WOMC dropped down to number five with a 5.3% share when they were number one a few months ago. I
still think WOMC could use classic hits competition.
So this is all I have to comment on with the Detroit area Nielsen December ratings particularly with the top five sta-
tions in the Detroit market. If anybody has any comments on any of these top five stations or perhaps the stations
ranked below number five WOMC I'm sure the posts will be made soon enough.

DiamondJim1960

Re: December Ratings

Post by DiamondJim1960 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:17 pm

The best thing CSX could do was ad Screamin Scott. He is the core to that format and what is going to migrate the older rock crowd to that form of rock. For many years they banked on DD......I really am surprised CSX over took The Riff

Ivan1335

Post by Ivan1335 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:00 pm

Greg Buben wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:59 pm
The Nielsen ratings for December came out and the number one station is WNIC with Christmas music. That was quite
a jump from about a 4% share in November to a 11.7% share in December. The Ticket with sports was number two with a
7.4% share. I have no comment as to why I think the top two were what they were but I'm happy that WCSX was third with
a 5.9% share. I still say WCSX is the best classic rock station not only in Detroit but the whole state of Michigan. It always
beats its competition WLLZ and it's so much better than outstate classic rockers such as WLAV in Grand Rapids and
WMMQ in Lansing. I believe that WCSX is as good as commercial classic rock FM radio can get not only in Detroit but in
all of Michigan.
Getting beyond WCSX I noticed that their sister station active rock station WRIF was number four with a 5.8% share.
I believe that between WCSX and WRIF it clearly shows that Detroit is still a good rock market. Beasley does the best
in my opinion when it comes to FM commercial rock radio in Detroit. Another interesting thing is how the Classic Hits
station WOMC dropped down to number five with a 5.3% share when they were number one a few months ago. I
still think WOMC could use classic hits competition.
So this is all I have to comment on with the Detroit area Nielsen December ratings particularly with the top five sta-
tions in the Detroit market. If anybody has any comments on any of these top five stations or perhaps the stations
ranked below number five WOMC I'm sure the posts will be made soon enough.
You don't know why WNIC and 97.1 were first and second in Dec? I think maybe that WNIC was all-Christmas and is always #1 for that book. Possibly the Lions and Michigan playing well had something to do with 97.1 being second. LOL

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:09 pm

WRIF almost always leads WCSX in A25 to 54, A18 to 49 and A18 to 34, although CSX usually fares very well in those same categories. WRIF is almost always the number 1 or number 2 ranked station for those demographic groups, losing to 97.1 on occasion and to 94.7 on rare occasion.

CSX wins in the useless 6+ numbers because they have a lock on the 55+ crowd.

WRIF outbills WCSX by a big margin, and that's been the case for 25 years.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic