Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

4 Adds A Couple of Weather People

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Rate This

4 Adds A Couple of Weather People

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:11 am

Ashlee Baracy is back from Columbus.

Ron Hilliard is coming over from WEYI/WSMH Flint/Saginaw.

Both start after the 1st and their roles will be announced then.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/weather/ ... ee-baracy/

non-anon bob

Re: 4 Adds A Couple of Weather People

Post by non-anon bob » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:18 am

:hat No big surprise about Ashlee. She is one of Kim Adams' homies! :hat

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:46 pm

Ashlee is a great hire for WDIV. Hopefully she lands weekday mornings. I am unfamiliar with Ron but he sounds promising.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:06 pm

So… 7 people?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:20 pm

They have Kim, Paul, Brandon and Bryan right now (in terms of on-air people). Wouldn't shock me if someone is leaving.

They really should have two people covering weekends. Having one person handle early morning, 6p and 11p on weekends is insane.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:20 pm
They have Kim, Paul, Brandon and Bryan right now (in terms of on-air people). Wouldn't shock me if someone is leaving.

They really should have two people covering weekends. Having one person handle early morning, 6p and 11p on weekends is insane.
This makes 6. Lets say one leaves... that still makes 5... you would think at that point they could spare someone to break weekends up.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:34 pm

Brett Collar not on air anymore?

OnTopic

Post by OnTopic » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:16 pm

Ron has done very well in Flint and his family is in Detroit. Even without having a full degree at this time he seems to be on par with degreed meteorologists in terms of coverage and knowledge.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:44 pm

I've not seen Brett on the air in at least a couple months.

TRTV

Post by TRTV » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:23 pm

I see them putting both as co-hosts of Live in the D and showing Tati the door? And then both would fill in for weather spots when needed.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:29 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:46 pm
Ashlee is a great hire for WDIV. Hopefully she lands weekday mornings. I am unfamiliar with Ron but he sounds promising.
From the guy who complains that WDIV can't create decent forecasts and gets it wrong more than they get right, *this* is a good hire? She was the morning traffic girl, after being the co-winner with Heather Zara of the dumbest on-air promotion and then running off to get a broadcast degree for meteorology from Mississippi State.

Not to mention, the other person hired went to Specs Howard. This is all from the GM's office, Bobby Ellis is gonna make the flagship station just like that also-ran in Jacksonville. And yes, that dumb promotion was that guy's idea.

Weather is fluid dynamics, I'm sure they get to that at MS State right after the multivariate calculus. When are they digging up Ruth Spencer? 'Cause she's actually more qualified.

Enjoy the cute graphics and the mom vibes, that's all you're gonna get with any reliability.

unscopedaircheck

Post by unscopedaircheck » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:58 pm

:rollin
Last edited by unscopedaircheck on Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:25 pm

unscopedaircheck wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:58 pm
I have an MS in atmospheric science. There is no way someone like Ashleeeee can just create forecasts. What people like her do is read the area forecast discussion and try to wade through that and get a nugget out of that to repeat in their on-air segment. Then take the NWS predicted high and wiggle the temps by 1 or 2.
Even I can rudimentarily do that...

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:27 am

Most likely, these hires are going to fill the void where news programming doesn't currently air. Don't be surprised to see Local4+ ending up on a subchannel to compete with CBS News Detroit's own digital news channel.

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:43 am

She was the morning traffic girl, after being the co-winner with Heather Zara of the dumbest on-air promotion and then running off to get a broadcast degree for meteorology from Mississippi State.
Lauren Podell was the co-winner, not Ms. Baracy.

Baracy was the chief meteorologist at the #1 news station in a significant TV market. She might be better at this than you think. There are plenty of on-air weathercasters with degrees from MS State who do a good job, and yes, there are some who aren't very good, too.

Andrew Humphrey has degrees from U-M and MIT (!!!) yet his accuracy was mid pack at best.

I do see Ron is not yet a degreed meteorologist and is currently enrolled at MS State. I suspect he'll be working weekends.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic