Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Power Outage Map

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Marcus

Power Outage Map

Post by Marcus » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:06 am

There are remaining outages from the last storm. More freezing rain over a vast swath of area might be coming after dark on Monday into early Tuesday. Southern Ontario has a weather advisory map up as of now. Michigan will get them too.

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/michigan

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=son

Tman

Re: Power Outage Map

Post by Tman » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:08 pm

The outage map DTE changed to is a piece of garbage . It makes the outage not look so bad for them . Frikin joke .

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:05 pm

Tman wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:08 pm
The outage map DTE changed to is a piece of garbage . It makes the outage not look so bad for them . Frikin joke .
100% agree with this. At least on the old map you could get a really good overall picture when zoomed to any given level.

Now you only see the shaded areas when zoomed in very close, and often times the outage you're looking for doesn't even have a shaded area... just a number of affected customers.

I also noticed where one of my friends live in AA, that their area was covered by TWO shaded areas, yet they NEVER lost power, so I really question the accuracy of their overall numbers anyways. Even on the old system this was an issue. On several outages our area NEVER showed up as an outage even though the entire neighborhood was out for over a day.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:01 pm

I'm in Whitmore Lake and finally got my power back today around 1pm, but it's not reflected on the DTE map which still predicts my power returning tomorrow (Monday). If a neighbor hadn't contacted me to let me know the neighborhood was back on the grid, I'd never have known about it. DTE is an absolute joke.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:44 am

Write the MPSC, especially about the proposed time of day rate increase. The average customer will pay $12 more per month if granted.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:20 am

Hasn't T-O-D has already been granted 3-7 PM?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:40 am

audiophile wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:20 am
Hasn't T-O-D has already been granted 3-7 PM?
Yes, I think I already got a notice that TOD is going into affect this year, so all those summer afternoon hours are going to cost a LOT more if you're still using any juice.

Which strengthens the argument that if they can CHARGE by the hour, then they also should be able to accurately determine who is out and who is not by at least hourly increments!!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:29 am

What a joke DTE is only giving back $25 dollars to their customers glad to see they will have to go to Lansing to explain why it took them so long to restore power in Metro Detroit. I wonder if DTE will be sued for not getting power back on promptly.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:54 am

MasterB wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:29 am
What a joke DTE is only giving back $25 dollars to their customers glad to see they will have to go to Lansing to explain why it took them so long to restore power in Metro Detroit. I wonder if DTE will be sued for not getting power back on promptly.
They shouldn't be giving ANYTHING "back", and they won't really be paying anything, as those costs will just get passed onto ALL their customers in the form of increased rates for everyone.

Folks who were without power paid ZERO for any power generation or transmission (or any of the other associated costs) while they were without power.

If you want something done to help the situation, then get them to adopt some your of "bonus penalty" for all management if realistic reliability and availability goals are not met quarterly or annually.

sirrealone

Post by sirrealone » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:35 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:54 am

Folks who were without power paid ZERO for any power generation or transmission (or any of the other associated costs) while they were without power.
Ridiculous comment. People are paying to put gas in their generators, if they're so lucky. Paying for hotel rooms to stay at in order to stay warm. Paying for food that they're throwing away.

Just because they're not sending money to DTE doesn't mean there aren't substantial costs to those who are without power for an extended period of time.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:32 am

MasterB wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:29 am
.......... glad to see they will have to go to Lansing to explain why it took them so long to restore power in Metro Detroit. I wonder if DTE will be sued for not getting power back on promptly.
Consider this a short outage. If electric cars become mandatory and I don't see how they can imagine 300 million cars on recharge and it shuts down the grid. The deadline however has been set in California for the switchover to electric cars but then they're telling everyone to not recharge right now. The fact is they (California) don't have the power generation requirements for their current needs let alone the added load of recharging cars. Something to think about in the bigger picture.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:17 pm

My gas bill is going to be significantly higher for being out of power. We'll see if it offsets the missing electrical charges.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:36 pm

sirrealone wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:35 am
km1125 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:54 am
Ridiculous comment. People are paying to put gas in their generators, if they're so lucky. Paying for hotel rooms to stay at in order to stay warm. Paying for food that they're throwing away.

Just because they're not sending money to DTE doesn't mean there aren't substantial costs to those who are without power for an extended period of time.
No, it's not ridiculous. They're not paying DTE for that stuff, so DTE shouldn't be paying them back at all. DTE is not charging them for the electricity that they're not getting when there's an outage. There is NO guarantee from DTE that power will always be available. If someone wants uninterrupted power, then THEY should be the one that pays to provide that. There are PLENTY of places in Michigan that do exactly that, by implementing UPS units and standby generators. There are plenty of other folks (like me an others) who are prepared in case utility power goes out longer than they're comfortable with and can provide their own electricity until the utility power come back online.

DTE is NOT responsible for anyone else's "substantial costs" when the power goes out. Pushing for such changes will just result in even HIGHER electrical bills FOREVER even when NO outages happen. I'm sure DTE would LOVE to have such requirements because they could IMMEDIATELY justify (and sue for, if necessary) a H*** rate increase, as it would increase their revenues immediately.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:38 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:36 pm
DTE is NOT responsible for anyone else's "substantial costs" when the power goes out. Pushing for such changes will just result in even HIGHER electrical bills FOREVER even when NO outages happen. I'm sure DTE would LOVE to have such requirements because they could IMMEDIATELY justify (and sue for, if necessary) a H*** rate increase, as it would increase their revenues immediately.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the world's biggest corporate patsy.

For the rest of us consumers NOT impressed by this legal monopoly's service performance;
https://www.michigan.gov/mpsc/consumer/complaints
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:10 pm

DTE is a regulated utility that requires Lansing's approval for any and all proposed rate increases. I am unaware of any prior instance where they've been able to successfully sue in court to force a rate increase.

Their ability to pay dividends to shareholders should be tied to service reliability benchmarks.

The $35 one time credit to those who've faced 4, 5, 6 or even 7 day outages is a joke. The credit should be formulaically calculated and increased as outage time increases (especially if outage time is abnormally high compared to surrounding areas).
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic