Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Is DTE's ad $$$ influencing local media coverage of power outages?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Is DTE's ad $$$ influencing local media coverage of power outages?

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:09 pm

The gas and electric businesses are not separate publicly traded companies, so yes, that earlier number from me is for the fully consolidated enterprise.

In essence, we are "taxed" about five percent on our DTE bills so that they can turn around and pay dividends. I am unsure how that compares to other privately owned utility companies. I'm too lazy to look right now.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:24 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:09 pm
The gas and electric businesses are not separate publicly traded companies, so yes, that earlier number from me is for the fully consolidated enterprise.

In essence, we are "taxed" about five percent on our DTE bills so that they can turn around and pay dividends. I am unsure how that compares to other privately owned utility companies. I'm too lazy to look right now.
Wouldn’t any business essentially be doing the same by raising prices to continue or increase their level of profit? This sounds like capitalism 101 to me…

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:00 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:24 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

Wouldn’t any business essentially be doing the same by raising prices to continue or increase their level of profit? This sounds like capitalism 101 to me…
Ain't it great?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:31 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:00 pm
Rate This wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

Ain't it great?
Well, you both could buy some stock in DTE anytime you like. Its trading right now for about $130 per share. Then you can get in on that dividend and go to shareholder meetings and make your concerns known.
And BTW...I hate DTE.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:55 pm

Rate This, the only problem with your comment is DTE has minimal competition in its market territory. Sure, there's solar, but that involves a completely different delivery method (installing ugly solar panels on one's roof).

DTE has monopolistic power and should be regulated accordingly.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:55 pm
Rate This, the only problem with your comment is DTE has minimal competition in its market territory. Sure, there's solar, but that involves a completely different delivery method (installing ugly solar panels on one's roof).

And in capitalism being a monopoly is the ultimate goal so it sounds like things are functioning A-ok to me.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:45 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:30 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

And in capitalism being a monopoly is the ultimate goal so it sounds like things are functioning A-ok to me.
There are some things, even in a capitalist economy, where monopolies (or virtual monopolies) are beneficial. Power supply is one of those things. You really dont want 10 different power companies. In a monopolistic situation a strong regulatory reach is required to prevent abuse; no matter how well intended.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:27 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:45 pm
Rate This wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:30 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

There are some things, even in a capitalist economy, where monopolies (or virtual monopolies) are beneficial. Power supply is one of those things. You really dont want 10 different power companies. In a monopolistic situation a strong regulatory reach is required to prevent abuse; no matter how well intended.
I completely agree.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:49 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:31 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:00 pm
Rate This wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

Ain't it great?
Well, you both could buy some stock in DTE anytime you like. Its trading right now for about $130 per share. Then you can get in on that dividend and go to shareholder meetings and make your concerns known.
And BTW...I hate DTE.
Please don't paint me as some anti-capitalist chach. I'm all for earning and paying for services, etc., but I've really had enough of these suits getting millions upon millions when a bad fart knocks out power for 4 days. Millions go to the Vice President of Getting the Coffee and Donuts while you throw all your food out from your fridge. I'm all for profit. But the gluttony gets outrageous. Especially when the whole system is turning to shit.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:17 am

Did anyone else get an email from DTE about taking a survey and receiving an Amazon gift card?

The gift card amount worth is $1

tivoking

Post by tivoking » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:12 pm

I did about a year ago. Same $1 gift card.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:30 pm

That puny amount is almost insulting.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:50 pm

Michiganviewer wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:17 am
Did anyone else get an email from DTE about taking a survey and receiving an Amazon gift card?

$1 is hardly worth anything by itself, except for a can of soda at Walmart -- which doesn't accept Amazon cards.

That being said, it practically costs just as much to package and mail the thing.

If it was $10, I'll say anything. But if it's only a buck -- or no reimbursement at all -- forget it.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:28 am

Michiganviewer wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:17 am

I got an email from CONsumers for the $5 gift card survey offer. Did their survey twice(because they sent it even after I did the first survey). They didn't even send me the $5 gift card either time.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic