Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hey WDIV, so just where is Idlewild?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 15783

Hey WDIV, so just where is Idlewild?

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:56 pm

Just watched a feature on Local 4 about a place called Idlewild. For six generations, it's been an area where blacks could vacation and relax without worrying about being discriminated. Nice lake. Good historical narrative. Was interesting. Blacks still go there to relax, kayak, fish, and unwind.

Nowhere is it mentioned where it's at. I was able to infer it's somewhere in Michigan. That's it. Just seems odd that whoever wrote this story may of thought to mention just where Idlewild is. And no, I shouldn't have to just Google it.

Realist

Re: Hey WDIV, so just where is Idlewild?

Post by Realist » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:33 pm

It’s in Lake County, east of Ludington. It’s also one of the Top 5 poorest counties in the State of Michigan

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:37 pm

Yup. Just off US 10 about five miles east of Baldwin. Yates Township.

Paula Tutman did the report.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:51 pm

I think Lake County is the only county in the Lower Peninsula that has never had a full-power station licensed to a community within it. There has been a religious satellator in Baldwin for years and there is a NOAA repeater in the county as well.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:19 pm

I noticed the same thing when I saw the story. I knew about the place because I had heard about it years ago, but it seemed like she was trying to keep it a secret in the story.

franko75

Post by franko75 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:21 pm

What an ass

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:37 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:51 pm
I think Lake County is the only county in the Lower Peninsula that has never had a full-power station licensed to a community within it. There has been a religious satellator in Baldwin for years and there is a NOAA repeater in the county as well.
Idlewild, and Lake County in general, is pretty run down and pathetic. Really nothing there but lots of poor people and forest land. Only fast food in the county is a Subway. Pretty much a drive through county I.e. you’re driving thru there to get to somewhere else

48125er

Post by 48125er » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:44 pm

Realist wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:17 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:37 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:51 pm
Idlewild, and Lake County in general, is pretty run down and pathetic. Really nothing there but lots of poor people and forest land. Only fast food in the county is a Subway. Pretty much a drive through county I.e. you’re driving thru there to get to somewhere else
The subway is gone now too.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:14 pm

Is Dairy Queen still open on M-37? Of course I'd rather patronize Jones for an ice cream fix. And Pompeii's subs (and pizza) were a better option than a gas station Subway.

Spent every summer near Wolf Lake as a kid at my grandparents' place. When Meijer Thrifty Acres opened in Traverse City in the 70s, poor old Baldwin never really recovered from that- grocery store wise at least.

Never could figure out if Lake County was "up north" or "west Michigan". Always seemed stuck in between. Maybe that's why 4 didn't give the location. They couldn't figure it out either.

Also, I never cease to be amused by just how many stories there have been about Idlewild. It's been making a "comeback" since the 70s but never seems to quite match the hype of the news reports.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:30 pm

Idlewild has a very interesting tie into the many years of racism in this state. It was a way for white people to shuttle African Americans away from their cities without feeling bad about it. It is significant.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:22 am

There's great fishing in Lake County on the Pere Marquette River and a significant bit of tourism industry connected to same, they get plenty of snowmobile visitation when the winters allow. I don't know if the prison that was built north of Baldwin still is operating, but it truly is a beleaguered place.

Can't specify that I ever made it into the Government Lake Lodge, a bar/restaurant where US-10 and M-37 run together north of Baldwin, but it was a biker's favorite (The Blessing of the Bikes continues each Spring, for motorcycle fans) before it burned down in the last couple of years.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:55 am

km1125 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:19 pm
I noticed the same thing when I saw the story. I knew about the place because I had heard about it years ago, but it seemed like she was trying to keep it a secret in the story.
On the Flintstones, Fred was walking home with a fishing pole and an empty pail. Barney stopped him and said, "Where ya been, Fred?"

Fred: At my secret fishing spot.
Barney (noticing the empty pail): Where are your fish?
Fred: It's so secret, even the fish don't know about it.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:30 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:55 am
km1125 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:19 pm
On the Flintstones, Fred was walking home with a fishing pole and an empty pail. Barney stopped him and said, "Where ya been, Fred?"

Fred: At my secret fishing spot.
Barney (noticing the empty pail): Where are your fish?
Fred: It's so secret, even the fish don't know about it.
:rollin

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:00 pm

The Pere Marquette is indeed a very popular fly fishing destination.

Plenty of snowmobile trails up there, too. Lots of logging activity up there.

Baldwin used to have a McDonalds, but it closed many years ago. There is a large grocery store about 10 miles south of town, closer to Big Star Lake. There is a nice Ace Hardware right in town.

Those desiring fast food need to drive about 18 miles to Reed City.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:00 pm
The Pere Marquette is indeed a very popular fly fishing destination.

Plenty of snowmobile trails up there, too. Lots of logging activity up there.

Baldwin used to have a McDonalds, but it closed many years ago. There is a large grocery store about 10 miles south of town, closer to Big Star Lake. There is a nice Ace Hardware right in town.

Those desiring fast food need to drive about 18 miles to Reed City.
And at least four Dollar Generals! From my limited experience in Lake County, there are some good local restaurants (Barski on 10/37 between the north split and Baldwin and Na-Tah-Ka in the Bass Lake area just to name two that I have personally experienced)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic