Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hey WDIV, so just where is Idlewild?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

Re: Hey WDIV, so just where is Idlewild?

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:49 pm

If I were in Baldwin, looking for a good place to eat, I'd make the 15 minute drive to the thriving metropolis of Walhalla. If it's still there, the Emerson Lake Inn was always good. But Walhalla is in Mason County.

Baldwin, or Idlewild, may be a good candidate for a non-comm FM, or LPFM, playing classic soul, or traditional jazz. It would have to be a labor of love.
Last edited by Colonel Flagg on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:20 pm

Back in the 70's that area was better known for the hookers that came in RV's for deer hunting season. Lake county also was said to have more bears than residents.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:40 pm

Indeed, a good number of bears up there! Have seen them on trail cam. Have also had to dodge their piles of poop in the woods.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:28 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:00 pm
Baldwin used to have a McDonalds, but it closed many years ago. There is a large grocery store about 10 miles south of town, closer to Big Star Lake. There is a nice Ace Hardware right in town.

Those desiring fast food need to drive about 18 miles to Reed City.
Well, I may of lost some money if I was betting on a McDonald's in Baldwin. We have family that lives a few miles south of Irons. We go up there about every 3 years or so and all kayak together. So I've been thru Idlewild many times and didn't realize it.

Like I said, I would of bet money there's a McDonald's on M-10 east of where it turns north. On the south side of the street. But I fired up Google Maps and I don't see it. Oh well.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:37 am

There is a very nice gas station and large c-store on the NEC of US-10 and M-37. That might be what you remember seeing.

Irons is a cool place; drove thru there a year ago. Sadly, it appears a few of the small businesses on the main drag did not survive the pandemic.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:47 am

If you fancy a sense of history, Idlewild is a pretty cool place. For a commercial work assignment back in the '80s, I had the fortune of getting a complete tour of the place from an informed local resident. I met a lot of good and interesting folks, mostly much older, who'll tell their stories and show me old pictures of "what used to be". Several of the Motown artists performed there including the Four Tops as well as many old jazz greats from previous decades.

What never came to pass was the ambitious commercial development they'd talk about -- strip malls, entertainment facilities, etc. I also left with the impression that former Democratic Senator Don Riegle was a local hero.

And isn't Irons host to the annual Flea Roast Ox Market? :razz

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:58 pm

I used to socialize with a former mayor of Idlewild. It's more a historic place than a town these days.

The resort history is amazing. The talent they had is incredible.

There is quite a meat market in Irons. Baldwin is essentially a prison town these days.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:37 am
There is a very nice gas station and large c-store on the NEC of US-10 and M-37. That might be what you remember seeing.

Irons is a cool place; drove thru there a year ago. Sadly, it appears a few of the small businesses on the main drag did not survive the pandemic.
That’s where the Subway was

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic