Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NBC Discusses Ending Prime-Time Lineup at 10pm

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
bmw

Re: NBC Discusses Ending Prime-Time Lineup at 10pm,

Post by bmw » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:28 am

I also wonder if Gutfeld doing so well at 11 PM has anything to do with the consideration of moving Fallon up to 11? Gutfeld routinely gets almost as many viewers as Colbert, and even beats him from time to time. And he's on a cable news network. His show has demonstrated that late night programming can be successful at 11.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:53 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:28 am
I also wonder if Gutfeld doing so well at 11 PM has anything to do with the consideration of moving Fallon up to 11? Gutfeld routinely gets almost as many viewers as Colbert, and even beats him from time to time. And he's on a cable news network. His show has demonstrated that late night programming can be successful at 11.
I’m kind of surprised he has that many viewers. The guy comes off as mean rather than funny. George Carlin could make fun of human behavior and political correctness and woke things endlessly and was drop dead funny. Gutfeld is… well… no George Carlin. It’s like they found the guy who runs the teleprompter for an earlier show and told him he was hosting a show now…

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:45 pm

I'm not really surprised. Unfortunately, late night comedy shows have become increasingly political AND partisan in recent years - and all very left-leaning partisan (except maybe Fallon, though he certainly isn't right-leaning). Gutfeld's show fills a gaping hole in right-wing comedy.

That said, as someone who misses the more light-hearted ribbing of both political parties by late night hosts, Gutfeld isn't my cup of tea either. I much preferred him on Red Eye, which actually was a pretty funny show (or at least it was funny whenever I was sleep deprived at 3 AM).

The only late night show I find remotely entertaining these days is Bill Maher's show on HBO. And once in a great while, John Oliver is worth watching.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:20 pm

matt1 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:54 pm
It was back in 1998 that CBS channel 62 showed "Late Show With David Letterman" at 11:00 instead of 11:35!!
I remember this very well. As a teen Letterman fan in the 90s (I was literally the only one), it was great to get the jump start at 11. 62 must have actually gotten the tape of Letterman's show sent to them specifically by CBS so they could air it early and not wait for the network feed, right? They weren't airing them a day late, right? (I don't think so.) BUT, the thing is, at the time it apparently didn't work. It must not have stolen viewers away from 4 or 7. Everyone still watched the news there. Because eventually 62 relented, pushed Letterman back to 11:35, and started airing their syndicated sitcom rerun at 11.
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:49 pm
Phoenix has proudly retained Mountain Standard Time zone program scheduling. Primetime begins at 7:00pm and concludes at 10:00pm. Late night programing begins at 10:30pm and concludes at 12:30am.
This is also how things are done in the central time zone. Honestly, a big swath of the country is used to this. I remember watching Letterman at 10:35 and it was honestly the most bizarre feeling.

Lightning round!
- Jay Leno is garbage. He was never funny and he is a weasel who just can't let go of the single TV show concept he's ever done. I heard he does Headlines as part of You Bet Your Life. And that Kevin Eubanks is back. What?!?
- Greg Gutfeld is horrible. He doesn't count as "late night," he's just another talking head on Fox News and he's big because that channel is highly rated across the board. You could put a trained chimp on Fox News at 11 pm and it would do reasonably well in the ratings.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:23 pm

BFSEsq wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:20 pm
matt1 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:54 pm
It was back in 1998 that CBS channel 62 showed "Late Show With David Letterman" at 11:00 instead of 11:35!!
I remember this very well. As a teen Letterman fan in the 90s (I was literally the only one), it was great to get the jump start at 11. 62 must have actually gotten the tape of Letterman's show sent to them specifically by CBS so they could air it early and not wait for the network feed, right? They weren't airing them a day late, right? (I don't think so.) BUT, the thing is, at the time it apparently didn't work. It must not have stolen viewers away from 4 or 7. Everyone still watched the news there. Because eventually 62 relented, pushed Letterman back to 11:35, and started airing their syndicated sitcom rerun at 11.
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:49 pm
Phoenix has proudly retained Mountain Standard Time zone program scheduling. Primetime begins at 7:00pm and concludes at 10:00pm. Late night programing begins at 10:30pm and concludes at 12:30am.
This is also how things are done in the central time zone. Honestly, a big swath of the country is used to this. I remember watching Letterman at 10:35 and it was honestly the most bizarre feeling.

Lightning round!
- Jay Leno is garbage. He was never funny and he is a weasel who just can't let go of the single TV show concept he's ever done. I heard he does Headlines as part of You Bet Your Life. And that Kevin Eubanks is back. What?!?
- Greg Gutfeld is horrible. He doesn't count as "late night," he's just another talking head on Fox News and he's big because that channel is highly rated across the board. You could put a trained chimp on Fox News at 11 pm and it would do reasonably well in the ratings.
No, I also loved Letterman as a teen. I would tune into 950 just to hear the rebroadcast of the top 10 list. I wasn't allowed to watch Letterman and didn't have a TV so that was one of the few ways I could indulge. I do remember sneaking downstairs to record the Smashing Pumpkins on my VHS tape and playing it upstairs after my tape was done recording. I had a 13" TV with a cord to my VCR.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:45 am

BFSEsq wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:20 pm
Yes, as an O&O 62 would get the feed from the network 30 minutes early. I remember this well too. At the time I was at CMU and would watch Letterman at 11.35. It was nice when I was home and could watch him earlier.

atariboy

Re: NBC Discusses Ending Prime-Time Lineup at 10pm

Post by atariboy » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:43 am

I work with predominantly 20-30 somethings and literally not a single one of them watches network TV outside of live sports. Not even the news or Jimmy Fallon (where I bet the average viewer is 60+). We're only a few short years away from network television as we know it being completely dead.

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:45 am

I'm pushing 50 and even I don't watch network TV (or any other) outside of live events. Any TV shows I watch that are on network TV/cable, I watch timeshifted on catch-up.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:34 pm

The main reason major broadcast network affiliates financially survive and can fund large news operations is because they gouge cable, satellite and streaming companies with retrans fees.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic