Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WXYZ Woodward dream cruise

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
TRTV

WXYZ Woodward dream cruise

Post by TRTV » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:22 pm

Why isn’t WXYZ Woodward dream cruise Live anymore? The pre-recording really takes away from the event.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: WXYZ Woodward dream cruise

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:57 pm

Who cares? The Dream Cruise was nice in the 90's, but it got to be too big for its own good.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

mwms9872

Post by mwms9872 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:21 pm

The show was a joke. We recorded it to see the cars and live shots of WW and what we got was overproduced spots on the surrounding cities and even a few ads for various services. WDC is about the Hot Rods, Classic Cars, and the people who line the streets to enjoy the cars. #WasteOfTime #Another7moneygrab

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:52 pm

It's taped in early afternoon to minimize the risk due to rain and severe weather.

TRTV

Post by TRTV » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:05 pm

It was live for many many years as I recall and watching the cars cruise Woodward live was so much better than the overproduced filler this years show was

Herm

Post by Herm » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:19 am

I get it if you don’t enjoy the spots to promote the cities that participate in the Dream Cruise, but the show is recorded live-to-tape. My question is, what difference would it make if the show was done live? The inserts would still be there. The promotional spots for Royal Oak, Ferndale, Berkley, Bloomfield, Birmingham, etc. would still be there. The only difference would be the natural light conditions during the anchor portions of the show, which are actually much better during the day.

TRTV

Post by TRTV » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:46 am

The magic of live Tv of course! 😂

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:27 pm

I watched little bit of the replay this morning and wasn't quite impressed but will keep judgement down until I get through the whole thing.

Do those local communities sponsor the show? The part I did see included the clip from WB and the whole time I was watching it I was thinking to myself "what's this crap in here for?". It would explain it if they were actually sponsoring it and it was their "paid commercial" time. I was thinking it was just some "B-roll" that they wanted to squeeze in somewhere so they didn't have to do as much "live" coverage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:15 pm

TV personalities interviewing people, standing in parking lots, looking at cars has always bored me immensely.

These annual TV specials have been generally been a mix of that + infomercials for local chambers of commerce and advertisers.

I agree with Herm that a completely live special would make no difference, at least not to me.

Similarly, I simply cannot relate to the folks who sit in lawn chairs along Woodward many Friday and Saturday evenings of the late spring and summer just to watch passing traffic.

If I had grown up in the 50s, 60s or early 70s, perhaps I would feel much differently. The cars of my youth (80s and 90s) were boring if not hideous looking, for the most part.

Most cars from the early 70s look the same to me, most cars from the 60s look the same to me, and most cars from the 50s look the same to me. Many of them look really cool, but if I've seen a handful, I've seen them all.

The live telecast of the NAIAS charity preview, which I believe usually airs on channel 4, is even more vapid than channel 7's Dream Cruise broadcast.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:22 pm

Bob Seger drove a fucking car so now of course THAT is all over my Facebook feed.

I have a feeling the whole fucking state is gonna shut down when he dies. I can't even listen to the radio when he does.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Herm

Post by Herm » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:06 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:27 pm
I watched little bit of the replay this morning and wasn't quite impressed but will keep judgement down until I get through the whole thing.

Do those local communities sponsor the show? The part I did see included the clip from WB and the whole time I was watching it I was thinking to myself "what's this crap in here for?". It would explain it if they were actually sponsoring it and it was their "paid commercial" time. I was thinking it was just some "B-roll" that they wanted to squeeze in somewhere so they didn't have to do as much "live" coverage.
Yeah, sponsored.

thekman

Post by thekman » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:48 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:15 pm

The live telecast of the NAIAS charity preview, which I believe usually airs on channel 4, is even more vapid than channel 7's Dream Cruise broadcast.
How about the 2-hour pre show to the Freedom Festival fireworks? The corporate interviews are like clockwork. Blue Cross Blue Shield, ally bank, Gardner-White. I guess that’s the price to pay to pull off the event. But great TV it certainly is not.

I will say, I do enjoy the interview with the guy that is the President of The Parade Company though. He genuinely seems to have some interesting insights in to how it all comes together every year.

jsf

Post by jsf » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:42 pm

For years channel 7 has not figured out that the WDC is about the cars and people, they have tried singing contest's and all kinds of other stunts to keep from covering the Cruise. It might be nice if another network tried to take this away from 7.

thekman

Post by thekman » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:56 am

jsf wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:42 pm
For years channel 7 has not figured out that the WDC is about the cars and people, they have tried singing contest's and all kinds of other stunts to keep from covering the Cruise. It might be nice if another network tried to take this away from 7.
It’s a public street. Couldn’t any channel simply show the darn thing, make a TV special out of it?

NBC may officially air the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. But CBS throws some cameras on top of Black Rock on 6th Ave. and airs the parade every year too. In fact, I think they do a better job of it. Kudos to Kevin Frazier, an excellent broadcaster and parade host.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:01 pm

thekman wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:56 am
It’s a public street. Couldn’t any channel simply show the darn thing, make a TV special out of it?
That's a good point. It's interesting to think about which events get coverage and on which channels. It at least used to be true that the NAIAS charity preview was covered live by both 4 and 7 at the same time. Meanwhile, 4 doesn't want to bother with the Dream Cruise. But then, 4 has so many other notable exclusives, especially the Thanksgiving Parade. I think maybe 4 is just ceding it, so they can put the time and money elsewhere. It's kinda hard to do a TV show of an event that's completely amateur, with no script. I mean, the DC relies on just anyone in the general public to supply the entertainment by running their cars down Woodward. In a way, it must be a harder one to plan a show for.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic