Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bally Sports Plus Streaming App To Launch June 23

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SixPlusOne

Bally Sports Plus Streaming App To Launch June 23

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:15 am

Courtesy: Broadcasting/Cable

Batter Up: Sinclair's Bally Sports Plus Streaming App To Launch June 23

"Sinclair Broadcast Group’s long-awaited direct-to-consumer regional sports streaming service will emerge from the dugout on June 23.

Bally Sports Plus will initially be available in five markets where the company’s Diamond Sports Group’s regional Bally Sports networks carry Major League Baseball’s Kansas City Royals, Detroit Tigers, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers and Tampa Bay Rays.

The app will cost $19.99 a month, or $189.99 a year, and enable fans to watch games without subscribing to a multichannel pay TV cable, satellite or streaming service."

https://www.nexttv.com/news/batter-up-s ... ch-june-23

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Bally Sports Plus Streaming App To Launch June 23

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:14 am

Long overdue, but that's a rather steep price to watch (in the case of Detroit) a really bad baseball team, a really bad basketball team, and an underachieving hockey team.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:20 pm

and yet another ala carte item for cord cutters

edj

Post by edj » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:04 pm

$20 is too much for garbage.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:41 pm

What a bunch of horseshit. I’ll listen to radio and use ‘alternate’ streaming services on a per game basis.

I can’t remember the last time I watched the Tigers on tv.
I don’t watch the Pistons.
And the Wings games that start at 9pm eastern and later are too late for my schedule.

Bite me Bally.

DAC

Post by DAC » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:10 pm

Art Van Damme wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:41 pm
What a bunch of horseshit. I’ll listen to radio and use ‘alternate’ streaming services on a per game basis.

I can’t remember the last time I watched the Tigers on tv.
I don’t watch the Pistons.
And the Wings games that start at 9pm eastern and later are too late for my schedule.

Bite me Bally.
Why do you say "Bite me Bally" if you don't watch any of the teams anyhow?

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:18 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:14 am
Long overdue, but that's a rather steep price to watch (in the case of Detroit) a really bad baseball team, a really bad basketball team, and an underachieving hockey team.
the Boston equivalent of this is $30 per month, but then that's a wealthier market with teams well worth watching.

I'm not sure how many subscribers they're going to have from July-September with the Tigers being bad and boring and the Wings and Pistons not playing yet. But it's nice to be able to finally get the games by themselves without paying for channels you don't watch. The cable bundle model is doomed and the industry knows it, the big domino to fall is whenever ESPN finally goes full direct-to-consumer.

jsf

Post by jsf » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:11 pm

Too much money for lousy teams with weak futures

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:21 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:18 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
the Boston equivalent of this is $30 per month, but then that's a wealthier market with teams well worth watching.

I'm not sure how many subscribers they're going to have from July-September with the Tigers being bad and boring and the Wings and Pistons not playing yet. But it's nice to be able to finally get the games by themselves without paying for channels you don't watch. The cable bundle model is doomed and the industry knows it, the big domino to fall is whenever ESPN finally goes full direct-to-consumer.
ESPN says that they're planning on launching a DTC offering in the not too distant future, but a date hasn't been announced yet.

When live sports and news go DTC plus broadband finally arrives in rural areas, that just might be the end of the pay-TV bundle as we know it.

DAC

Post by DAC » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:55 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

I think that we are going to get to the point where having all the streaming services to satisfy a typical viewer's needs is going to cost more than cable.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:37 pm

DAC wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:55 pm
CurlyHoward wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

I think that we are going to get to the point where having all the streaming services to satisfy a typical viewer's needs is going to cost more than cable.
Agreed. Hopefully OTA and free streaming services like Pluto TV and Tubi will stick around.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:57 am

DAC wrote:

It is close. Ala carte with YoutubeTV with no basic, all premiums plus a couple foreign options is pushing $80.

This is still a better option in my opinion. No commercials, better programming without subsidizing the garbage I never watch.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:22 pm

DAC wrote:
Courtesy: NextTV

Could Cable Come Back With a ‘TV-Lite’ Future Of Re-aggregation And Upselling?

"Mix a “TV lite” version of the traditional cable bundle, a few choice streaming services, add in newer entertainment experiences like cloud-based video gaming, delivered through a broadband connection and voila, you have a possible revival/reformation of what was the most lucrative entertainment sector of the past few decades."

https://www.nexttv.com/news/could-cable ... ling-bloom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic