Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOMC playing 2000s songs

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Re: WOMC playing 2000s songs

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:39 pm

Since The Motown Song is apparently too "Breezy", then what's the excuse for them not playing stuff like What Is Love by Haddaway or I'm Too Sexy, or Roxette's Fading Like a Flower (no. 2 in 91).
What about Groove Is In The Heart by Dee Lite?

I did hear them play MC Hammer once tho lmao.
Last edited by stopnswop2 on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:54 am

They played Hey Ya by Outkast today

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:51 am

I like the fact 104.3 is mixing in some post-2K material.

Playing the same burnt-to-a-crisp 80's songs over and over and over gets boring quick.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:39 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:54 am
Interesting. Almost like they are trying to impede their frequency neighbor 105.1.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:27 am

Haddaway "What Is Love" from 1994 reminds me of singer Steve Winwood singing.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:03 am

I wonder when the Macarena will make its debut.

Music is my life.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:42 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:54 am
I heard it at about 11:30 last night.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:32 pm

You guys remember "Would I Lie To You" by Charles and Eddie, from 1992?
That should be on the station.
As well as "Life Is A Highway" by Tom Cochrane, and "The One and Only" by Chesney Hawkes.

Music is my life.

LongIslandDetroiter

Post by LongIslandDetroiter » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:44 am

I stopped listening to this station after trying out many Flagataff-based radio stations that sound so much better. In the days I gave WOMC a listen, I also noticed 2000s music actively getting played here. Don’t know if any of you noticed this, but I’m actually shocked WOMC managed to play Maroon 5…. Yeah, for real. The station thus far in terms of this pop artist literally played “This Love” and “She Will Be Loved.”

Deleted User 15840

Post by Deleted User 15840 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:22 am

WOMC has been playing Moron 5 for a while now. 104.3 has been sucking for a few years and just because it's number 1 (in the latest ratings)doesn't mean it's a great station. WOMC is on top only because Detroit radio is terrible and WOMC is the best that Detroit Radio has to offer, and that is not saying much. I’m curious as to how well the stations that don’t subscribe to the ratings do. How does K-Love 102.7, Smile FM, Detroit Praise, WMUZ 103.5 and Family Life Radio fair in the ratings? are they getting 5 & 6 shares in Detroit? I bet the numbers would be a mind blower. This whole rating system is not really a good indicator only because not everyone subscribes.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:14 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:08 pm
Also, especially during the early '90s, many of the songs that made it onto CHR radio were AC crossovers - Mariah Carey's early hits, Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, Amy Grant, Gloria Estefan, Bette Midler, Toni Braxton, Richard Marx, etc. Those songs appealed to women in their 40s even then who would now be in their 60s or 70s, so they've become the next generation of "Adult Standards" rather than making the transition to Classic Hits stations.
I think this is the key. Broadly, music went two ways in the 90s. There was the true pop direction for younger people, and then there was the strong AC influence. They're not playing the AC songs on a classic hits station because radio has decided they belong better on soft rock/AC. AC kind of became its own, separate oldies format. And it's true that those listeners will be older now, since they were already older at the time.

I guess it's that if you think about it, there are several types of radio stations that play older music. We tend to separate music by its format and keep it there. Older AC songs stay on soft rock stations, older rock stays at classic rock stations, etc. The question really is: What is the "oldies" format, anyway? Is it "supposed" to be CHR/top 40 of days gone by? I guess, overall, WOMC is playing "top 40" from past decades, but I guess it's never that simple. Top 40 always went in a lot of different directions. Heck, by the 90s, even Casey Kasem was having issues with figuring out where to source the lists of the top 40 songs, because so much rap and hip-hop was entering the top 40, and there was a bit of a controversy at the time over whether that really belonged on a "family-friendly" program or whether it was inappropriate. I know that Casey started using different charts so that they could avoid the harder-edged CHR. So this kinda leads back into all that.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:52 am

Did they really only appeal to 40 year old women if they hit number 1?
How many 40 year old women were calling into top 40 radio stations requesting songs?
They had their own AC stations for that.

Every artist in that list you quoted had at LEAST a top 5 hit on the Hot 100 in the 90s

Amy Grant - Baby, Baby (no. 1)
Bette Midler - From a Distance (no. 2)
Michael Bolton - How Can We Be Lovers (no. 3), When a Man Loves A Woman (no. 1)
Gloria Estefan - Coming Out of the Dark (no. 1)
Celine Dion had half of her songs make the top 5, and multiple number 1 hits.
And I don't think I need to even mention how many of Mariah's songs hit number 1

If all these songs were released in the 80s, WOMC would be playing them.
I just hear excuses.
How many times have they played Like a Prayer and Hungry Eyes? Too many

Music is my life.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:39 pm

Amy Grant - Baby, Baby (no. 1)
Bette Midler - From a Distance (no. 2)
Michael Bolton - How Can We Be Lovers (no. 3), When a Man Loves A Woman (no. 1)
Gloria Estefan - Coming Out of the Dark (no. 1)
Celine Dion had half of her songs make the top 5, and multiple number 1 hits.
And I don't think I need to even mention how many of Mariah's songs hit number 1
just because they were number does not mean people want to hear this music anymore
I am sure most of these songs didn't survive focus groups, so you don't hear them

most of these songs would make me turn the channel :rollin

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:04 pm

I read an article from the late ‘80s not long ago in which the PD of a station that ran SMN’s Pure Gold oldies format was interviewed and said something to the effect of, “We don’t play ‘soft’ oldies like the Carpenters or Bread, the kind of music that didn’t mean much to you at the time if you weren’t in love with someone.” Like Celine, Gloria, Bette, etc., the Carpenters and Bread were artists with a predominantly AC/MOR image. Likely the same reason you didn’t hear much Barry Manilow, Barbra Streisand, Helen Reddy, Olivia Newton-John or (outside of his uptempo ‘60s hits) Neil Diamond – again, all artists with at least one #1 Pop hit and multiple other Top 10’s – on oldies radio at that time. Teenagers (especially girls) in love bought the singles and may have formed more of a connection to the song than to the artist, if that makes any sense. By and large, it was adults – 40-year-old women if you will – who bought those artists’ full-length LPs and adopted them as “my music.” Thus, despite their Top 40 success, those artists still had the overall image of being “my parents’ music.” Teenage tastes are fickle. Mainstream Top 40 stations hit a downturn in the early ‘90s because they couldn’t, or wouldn’t, acknowledge a lot of the music that the youth culture was actually clamoring for. In 1994, that was Garth Brooks and Snoop Dogg, not Richard Marx and Amy Grant. I don’t see Garth or Snoop being added to WOMC any time soon, but nor are they going to play artists that predominantly had an AC image (or later AC-leaning hits from classic hits core artists - when was the last time you heard an Elton John song from post 1984 on a classic hits station, or a Madonna song from post "Vogue")?

I’m not trying to make excuses. I don’t pretend to have all the answers, I’m just advancing some theories. I'm not a programmer, just a frequent and avid listener. I grew up listening primarily to Q95 and preferred Celine and Mariah to Nirvana or 2Pac (and still do). I also went to an all-boys (Catholic) high school and if any of my classmates were listening to anything other than 89X or WJLB artists, they wouldn’t admit it. I don’t recall any country enthusiasts either other than the ones that lusted after Shania Twain, LOL. Most of the students at our sister all-girls Catholic school seemed to be more into Puff Daddy than anything else. Remember also that MTV played very few videos by the likes of Celine or Richard Marx – that’s what VH-1 was for. The artists the kids really clamored for were on MTV, and (except when “My Heart Will Go On” was popular) that wasn’t Celine Dion for the most part.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:22 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:04 pm
Remember also that MTV played very few videos by the likes of Celine or Richard Marx – that’s what VH-1 was for. The artists the kids really clamored for were on MTV, and (except when “My Heart Will Go On” was popular) that wasn’t Celine Dion for the most part.
That's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of. Even music videos were separated into "CHR" and "AC" buckets on different stations. In the 90s, when music video channels were really popular, that affected perception.

I've listened to a lot of old American Top 40 with Casey Kasem eps (which stream for free 24/7 on the iHeartRadio app) and if there's one thing I've learned in general, it's that it's amazing how much songs, or even entire artists, that were once H*** completely faded away over time... and also that songs that didn't chart as high as you'd think at the time became highly-played standards on radio over the years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic