Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Brother Stair on WCXI right now

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
innate-in-you

Re: Brother Stair on WCXI right now

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:00 am

I was a frequent listener to "Motown and a cup of joe" (Crystal Mayo) for three years. My morning drive had me listening as I started my commute, leaving only to listen to (WWJ) CBS News at the hour, thence returning to WNZK until I arrived at work.

This was a hard loss to take. I find myself using the CD player more. I'm listening to CKWW in its place - However, it's signal has a lot to desire. Awful clipping on modulation peaks, resulting in a LOT of distortion.

I wish Bell would resurrect CHYR in some form (Perhaps on CKLW's array, with a new tower or two).

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:05 am

innate-in-you wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:00 am
I was a frequent listener to "Motown and a cup of joe" (Crystal Mayo) for three years. My morning drive had me listening as I started my commute, leaving only to listen to (WWJ) CBS News at the hour, thence returning to WNZK until I arrived at work.

This was a hard loss to take. I find myself using the CD player more. I'm listening to CKWW in its place - However, it's signal has a lot to desire. Awful clipping on modulation peaks, resulting in a LOT of distortion.

I wish Bell would resurrect CHYR in some form (Perhaps on CKLW's array, with a new tower or two).
I wonder if 1440 WMKM would take "Motown and a Cup of Joe"? Coverage is pretty much limited to Wayne County, but it's better than arguing with Sima. I assumed Brother Stair airing on WNZK was a glitch. Maybe not.

At my location, (Quarton & Telegraph) CKWW is usually buried in electrical noise now. That didn't used to be the case.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:57 am

CKWW seems weaker than it used to be in my location, too. No noticeable deterioration in signal right next door at AM 560.

The engineering standards at Bell Media's Windsor cluster have taken a massive step backward over the past few years.

Meanwhile, the audio fidelity on 95.9 CJWF sounds better than ever. It's not great, but it used to be terrible. It's now respectable. Music selection is impressive, too.

I hate how the audio sounds at 89.9 CBC Music. Too quiet, zero high treble response, and overall horrendous sound stage.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:48 pm

Agreement on CKWW's signal, even on the east side of metropolitan Detroit, the signal isn't as good as it used to be.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:34 pm

I heard Motown and a Cup of Joe on WNZK probably 2 weeks ago but in a new time slot: I think it was 8-10 am.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:45 pm

I think it’s on WPON now, however their signal is pathetic outside of southern Oakland and Livonia/Northville. Don’t bother going to WNZK’s website as the schedule is extremely outdated. They still have Ask Your Neighbor, or as they call it, Ask the neighbor.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:33 pm

Apparently, Birach is so much a skinflint with his stations, he can't even afford insurance for them -- a Maryland station went up in flames this morning, with the property uninsured:

https://www.wrde.com/news/pocomoke-radi ... 69699.html

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:32 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:33 pm
Apparently, Birach is so much a skinflint with his stations, he can't even afford insurance for them -- a Maryland station went up in flames this morning, with the property uninsured:

https://www.wrde.com/news/pocomoke-radi ... 69699.html
It's not just Sima.

Many of the old, unmanned, legacy studio-transmitter sites owned by the big groups are uninsured. Cumulus, and IHR are probably the worst offenders. Think about it...you have an AM that is basically "bonus land" for ad buys, that runs Fox Sports 24/7, in a 3500 square foot building, half of which is boarded up, and suffering from deferred maintenance, in a sketchy neighborhood. What are the annual premiums on that going to be???

I once visited a site with an engineer, where the roof over the old sales department had caved in under the weight of heavy snow. It stayed in that condition for a couple of years, before they got around to tearing it down.

You insure the important properties. Roll the dice on the rest. The big conglomerates should have hired someone in real estate to manage, and monetize these redundant properties, instead of boarding them up. "Vice President, in charge of non-essential real estate" could be the title.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:37 pm

I heard some sort of religious programing on WNZK the other day, but it wasn't brother stair.

On 1160am, it's still mostly Brother Stair but I did hear some other religious programing as well. WEW St.Louis was mentioned, are they still running Brother Stair (or BS :lol )? . This website looks like it was made in 2002-http://wewradio.com/

Birach is bar none the worst radio broadcaster of all time. The worst.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:44 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:37 pm
I heard some sort of religious programing on WNZK the other day, but it wasn't brother stair.

On 1160am, it's still mostly Brother Stair but I did hear some other religious programing as well. WEW St.Louis was mentioned, are they still running Brother Stair (or BS :lol )? . This website looks like it was made in 2002-http://wewradio.com/

It lists a 2021 copyright date but the website sure does look straight out of 2002. Right on par for a Birach station. :lol:

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:45 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:44 pm
It lists a 2021 copyright date but the website sure does look straight out of 2002. Right on par for a Birach station. :lol:
Birach has ruined what was a good country station WSDS.

edj

Post by edj » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:55 pm

I don’t think he owns WSDS anymore.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:56 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:45 pm
Birach has ruined what was a good country station WSDS.
edj wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:55 pm
I don’t think he owns WSDS anymore.
Birach sold WSDS to Vazquez Broadcasting in 2012, which flipped it to Spanish language.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:07 am

Correct. Suds is now simulcasting on 1090am WCAR. Which is a Birach station funny enough.

6L6

Post by 6L6 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:05 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:37 pm

I'm listening to WPON's transmitter randomly go on and off right now.

Steve Bridges' (KCJJ) theory of broadcasting devolution: the end times involve a computer and a transmitter in a windowless, cinder block building, playing music to nobody.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic