Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WDIV Local 4 preempting MLB on NBC this Sunday

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
80sTalkRadioFan

WDIV Local 4 preempting MLB on NBC this Sunday

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Fri May 06, 2022 5:45 pm

Going through the TV listings and noticed WDIV is not airing NBC's MLB game between the Chicago White Sox and Boston Red Sox, this Sunday, May 8 at 11:30. What's worse, they're preempting this game for a few infomercials, an old episode of Jeopardy and an episode of Inside Edition. I know WDIV occasionally preempts NBC sports coverage of skiing, and other low-rated sports, was just shocked they would actually bump a baseball game, especially one which involves a division rival of the Detroit Tigers.

billmich88888

Re: WDIV Local 4 preempting MLB on NBC this Sunday

Post by billmich88888 » Sat May 07, 2022 1:26 pm

so how can i view this game?

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Sat May 07, 2022 2:35 pm

This is a streaming deal for Peacock for 18 Sundays. NBC will simulcast Sundays game.

First I've heard of the deal.

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2022 ... ng-in-may/

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Sat May 07, 2022 7:10 pm

So, you could either stream it on Peacock, or, if you get another NBC station such as WNWO in Toledo, you could watch it there. I didn't see it listed on any of WDIV's subchannels either.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat May 07, 2022 11:44 pm

Is NBC HQ fine with this? WDIV should air the baseball ball game in my opinion. They can air Jeopardy & Inside Edition late at night as they don't air NBC late-night on the weekends which is paid programming. Always was surprised that NBC never wanted to have an O&O in Detroit.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun May 08, 2022 6:41 am

Reading talkradio's post that started the thread, I ponder if they can't for some reason. They're being prevented from showing it.

Infomercials and reruns instead? Don't sound right.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Sun May 08, 2022 8:17 am

They aren't being prevented from showing it. It's just a lame choice they made to show infomercials. I entered a few random zip codes for cities across the country (Chicago, LA, NYC, Honolulu, Anchorage) in to Zap2It and the game was there in the listings for all of those cities.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sun May 08, 2022 4:15 pm

I’ve always said that WDIV is just another station that’s still living in the anti-network delusion, where they think they don’t always need network television when in reality, they do. I also think there’s still an old guard there that has that delusional mindset. Sad, but true.

Before going to Fox, WJBK had that same mindset. It didn’t turn out too good for them. Now, they are not only a Fox O&O, Fox practically dictates everything that WJBK does.

I’m also shocked that NBC never tried to get an O&O in Detroit, given how liberal the City of Detroit really is.

We have a Fox and a CBS O&O.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Sun May 08, 2022 5:15 pm

Sister station KPRC in Houston also preempted the game to show infomercials.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sun May 08, 2022 5:28 pm

Looks like NBCU is going to have a really stern talk with both stations in Detroit and in Houston. NBC isn’t nearly as tolerant as they were 40 years ago.

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Sun May 08, 2022 10:12 pm

Does seem like a weird choice. I guess WDIV has no faith in getting any viewership and would rather go for the easy money. It's a shame. I will say, a) 11:30 is a weird, very early time for baseball, and b) maybe they were especially worried about the overlap with the Tigers game at 1:10.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Mon May 09, 2022 12:29 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 5:28 pm
Looks like NBCU is going to have a really stern talk with both stations in Detroit and in Houston. NBC isn’t nearly as tolerant as they were 40 years ago.
WDIV was the last affiliate to get a long term contract from NBC in which NBC pays the affiliate for broadcast. It wasn't all that long ago, maybe 2009-ish. While that contract has certainly expired by now, I doubt WDIV will have any problems managing their relationship with NBC.

I suspect Graham Media is messaging that they're not going to tolerate paying to be an affiliate while NBC makes moves to putting preferential content or the exact same content on Peacock. Being an affiliate is, after all, buying market exclusivity and Peacock upends that.

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Mon May 09, 2022 2:16 pm

WDIV is horrible. I wish NBC would take full control. Maybe that would make watching the news tolerable on that channel.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon May 09, 2022 2:48 pm

SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:29 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 5:28 pm
I suspect Graham Media is messaging that they're not going to tolerate paying to be an affiliate while NBC makes moves to putting preferential content or the exact same content on Peacock. Being an affiliate is, after all, buying market exclusivity and Peacock upends that.
Like I said, NBC is not nearly as tolerant as they were 40 years ago, and definitely not like they were in the 2000s. They are taking a page out of Fox’s playbook. We know how Fox has put the clamps down on their affiliates.

Wouldn’t be shocked if eventually, NBC do to WDIV like they did with WHDH about 5 years ago. WDIV imo, are in clear delusion.

mmb5

Post by mmb5 » Mon May 09, 2022 7:31 pm

It was pre-empted in Houston, none-too-coincidentally from a Graham station as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic