Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Cumulus Media to be swallowed up

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SBaxley

Cumulus Media to be swallowed up

Post by SBaxley » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:45 pm

Radio Insight is reporting from Reuters that a consortium led by Connoisseur Media head Jeff Warshaw has made a $1.2 billion offer to acquire Cumulus Media

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Cumulus Media to be swallowed up

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:13 pm

Cumulus has neither accepted nor rejected the offer. Even if a deal were to be agreed to in principle, there would likely need to be shareholder approval, and a number of other pre closing hurdles would also need to be satisfied to each party's liking.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:34 pm

Good. Fuck 'em. Maybe THEN he would do something about 93.1

Just curious, though. Who the hell wants to buy radio stations anymore? Especially in a market like this?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:11 am

I’m really hoping that this happens. Cumulus ruined the Citadel stations that they bought with most shifts being voice tracked, along with too many hands messing with their playlists. I looked at Connoisseur’s stations and not so sure that’s happening

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:14 am

I disagree. The guy who runs Connoisseur is a Lew Dickey wannabe. Adding a bunch of LBO debt onto the existing Cumulus portfolio is a recipe for disaster, if you ask me.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:12 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:14 am
I disagree. The guy who runs Connoisseur is a Lew Dickey wannabe. Adding a bunch of LBO debt onto the existing Cumulus portfolio is a recipe for disaster, if you ask me.
While I am NOT well versed in high finance, there's NO comparison between Jeff Warshaw and Lew Dickey, other than the fact that their Dads owned radio stations. Howard Warshaw owned Universal Broadcasting. The company owned foreign language / block program stations, every single one in a major market (New York, Chicago, San Francisco, etc)

Jeff already did what Lew Jr did, but Jeff exited laughing. He wasn't fired by his own board, and told "pack up your office, and get OUT!!!!" Comparing Jeff to Lew Jr is like comparing Howard Warshaw to Sima Birach.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:41 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:34 pm
Just curious, though. Who the hell wants to buy radio stations anymore? Especially in a market like this?
And who would fund the deal?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:49 pm

I worked with Jeff back in the late 90's. He has a fierce demeanor with revenue development and programs his stations well. It was rather sad to see how Cumulus destroyed his stations when he sold in early 2000.

However, time hasn't been kind to his hair....

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:48 pm

Any change would be good change but Cumulus has beat these stations so far into the ground that it would be tough to get them out of the hole. I would love to see Cumulus break apart and have local or regional owners step in to make some of these stations profitable again.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:07 pm

Larry Wilson was well respected, too, but due to overly aggressive acquisition activity got out over his skis at Alpha. The company that used to embrace "live, local radio" now uses a ton of syndicated content from third parties, voicetracking, and jockless dayparts as a result.

Their Saginaw and suburban Chicago clusters are likely among their better ones, but Dayton and Louisville are a mess. Their San Jose stations have seen a gargantuan decline in billing compared to 10 or 15 years ago - 70 percent plus.

Issues at Cumulus are largely due to residual issues from the Dickey area and a lack of sufficient scale in the biggest markets. The company really should consider divesting more of its major market stations. The Detroit cluster feeds little to no content to the outstate stations, and management of non-PPM versus PPM markets flows thru totally separate silos.

The existence of WJR is not complementary to WDRQ or WDVD. Having only two FMs - only one of which has seen long term ratings success - disadvantages Cumulus on buys.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:45 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:07 pm
Larry Wilson was well respected, too, but due to overly aggressive acquisition activity got out over his skis at Alpha. The company that used to embrace "live, local radio" now uses a ton of syndicated content from third parties, voicetracking, and jockless dayparts as a result.

Their Saginaw and suburban Chicago clusters are likely among their better ones, but Dayton and Louisville are a mess. Their San Jose stations have seen a gargantuan decline in billing compared to 10 or 15 years ago - 70 percent plus.

Issues at Cumulus are largely due to residual issues from the Dickey area and a lack of sufficient scale in the biggest markets. The company really should consider divesting more of its major market stations. The Detroit cluster feeds little to no content to the outstate stations, and management of non-PPM versus PPM markets flows thru totally separate silos.

The existence of WJR is not complementary to WDRQ or WDVD. Having only two FMs - only one of which has seen long term ratings success - disadvantages Cumulus on buys.
So a 25-54M and a 25-54F combo buy would be a better idea? If WJR plays no part (other than being a clear channel 55+M station), would they be wise to flip 93.1 to a male oriented format?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:44 am

Realist wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:11 am
I’m really hoping that this happens. Cumulus ruined the Citadel stations that they bought with most shifts being voice tracked, along with too many hands messing with their playlists. I looked at Connoisseur’s stations and not so sure that’s happening
Farid Suleman, and Judy whats-her-name ruined Citadel long before the Dick Brothers took over. All of the Citadel stock I owned was immediately worthless. Even the lousy company known as "Big City Radio" was kind enough to insist that shareholders receive equal shares of Entravision when they acquired the tattered remains of Big Shitty.

As to Jeff Warshaw's proposal, it looks he may have undervalued Cumulus. I'm not sure I agree with that. Cumulus is a disaster in many markets.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic