Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

(APRIL FOOLS) WHNE adds Rewind TV, returns to UHF thru channel sharing

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Splouge

(APRIL FOOLS) WHNE adds Rewind TV, returns to UHF thru channel sharing

Post by Splouge » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:25 am

The FCC has approved an application for WHNE to begin a channel-sharing agreement with other low power stations Metro Detroit. WHNE will continue to carry all of its current channels, but now indoor antenna users will be able to receive them with more ease.

Channels 3.1 to 3.7 will be on WHPS's RF15 signal.

Channels 3.8 to 3.13 will be on WDWO RF22

3.13 will be the new home for the movie channel. While 3.6 will be Detroit's Rewind TV affiliate.

Happy April fools day!
Last edited by Splouge on Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Ben Zonia

Re: WHNE adds Rewind TV, returns to UHF thru channel sharing

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:58 am

Would somebody please start manufacturing in quantity a modestly directional, modest gain, VHF Low antenna for LPTV, regardless of whether or not this is an April Fool's joke?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:40 pm

I am using a 6m Moxon rectangle for low VHF. Works as well as anything you can buy.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:25 pm

So, if we shorten the lengths in this DIY version for 63 MHz rather than 51 MHz, multiplying the lengths by 51/63, we could get 5.5 dBi-2.15=3.35 dBd gain with 25 dB F/B. But what about bandwidth? I would assume that this would have a rather sharp resonance curve. And 75 ohm RG 6 would have a close enough match?

https://www.jpole-antenna.com/2014/06/1 ... n-antenna/
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:04 pm

It would be nice if they could allocate a few more bits to those subchannels that have motion video and less to those shopping channels

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:09 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:04 pm
It would be nice if they could allocate a few more bits to those subchannels that have motion video and less to those shopping channels
WHNE has 12 channels. 3 channels sell stuff.

Don't you think that 9 channels of programing out of 12 is enough to entertain people?

They do have to make money to operate somehow you know.

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:54 am

You missed the point of km1125's post. Nowhere does he say that the shopping channels should be dropped. He said less bandwidth should be devoted to them so that some channels with fast motion could have better looking resolution for the viewer.

I think Grio looks very good. Drive In looks good.
GetTV isn't bad and looks better than the feed offered by WPXD.

Rev'N and Heartland look grainy to my eye. The ticker on NewsNet is a bit difficult to read, too, although that is partially their fault (they use a crappy font). The rest of the imagery on NewsNet looks OK.

These issues are certainly not unique to WHNE. I'm watching WWJ 62.4 right now, and while I've seen no blocking or distortion issues, the picture looks very dull.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:01 am

SBN doesn't need as much bandwidth allocated to it either.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:37 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:54 am
You missed the point of km1125's post. Nowhere does he say that the shopping channels should be dropped. He said less bandwidth should be devoted to them so that some channels with fast motion could have better looking resolution for the viewer.

I think Grio looks very good. Drive In looks good.
GetTV isn't bad and looks better than the feed offered by WPXD.

Rev'N and Heartland look grainy to my eye. The ticker on NewsNet is a bit difficult to read, too, although that is partially their fault (they use a crappy font). The rest of the imagery on NewsNet looks OK.

These issues are certainly not unique to WHNE. I'm watching WWJ 62.4 right now, and while I've seen no blocking or distortion issues, the picture looks very dull.
Exactly. Rev'N is almost unwatchable sometimes with the loss of resolution. Much worse than analog even with a signal with lower SNR.

Does anybody know if anyone uses VBR on their transport streams? That would probably solve a lot of issues, but I don't know if 100% of the receivers are compatible or required to be able to decode them.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:11 pm

This antenna is good for Low VHF - High VHF and UHF for less than $80.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-YA7000C ... ljaz10cnVl

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:29 pm

Where are the technical specifications for the Winegard, gain, pattern, etc.? Does it work well for WHNE? It looks like figure 8, 0 dBd on VHF Low, slight gain on VHF High due to parasitic elements, and UHF due to the UHF directors. Remember you get about 10 dB of noise free, passive gain from mounting it outdoors at about 30 feet, above indoors, and no attic roof and wall absorption.

-Author Unknown

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:34 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:29 pm
Where are the technical specifications for the Winegard, gain, pattern, etc.? Does it work well for WHNE? It looks like figure 8, 0 dBd on VHF Low, slight gain on VHF High due to parasitic elements, and UHF due to the UHF directors. Remember you get about 10 dB of noise free, passive gain from mounting it outdoors at about 30 feet, above indoors, and no attic roof and wall absorption.
The antenna I mentioned above is the antenna that WHNE used to test all over the Detroit area after they made the switch to channel 3. This antenna comes with a additional kit to add on the back part of the antenna to make it better at receiving Low VHF.

Back then they reported on their Facebook page all about the testing with maps showing where they tested. One of their engineers would stand at ground level and held the antenna with one hand above his head and watched a battery TV with the other. They received WHNE signal west of 275 toward Ann Arbor and almost to the shore line near St. Clair Shores. This testing was just above ground level and this antenna worked well according to them.

They've mentioned on FB that a viewer in Jackson can receive them and another north of Brighten. The signal seems to get out, but people complain and blame WHNE for having a poor signal when it seems the real problem is these viewers don't have an antenna that received Low VHF!

WHNE reported many times on FB during the first 6 months after they were on channel 3, but not so much lately. I guess anyone that really wants to watch WHNE has figured out the antenna problem by now.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: (APRIL FOOLS) WHNE adds Rewind TV, returns to UHF thru channel sharing

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:25 pm

Low band VHF is inherently "noisy" in Urban areas, like AM radio in a way. Strong signal is necessary to overcome the noise floor.

I remember the silver or yellowish diagonal lines that used to dance across the screen when watching WWMT in West Michigan from multiple homes in the Grand Rapids area in the 80s and 90s. Those with rooftop antennas had no such problem, however. WWMT's picture quality also seemed more sensitive to antenna positioning than WOOD or WZZM.

At my house, I receive a rather stable signal from WHNE using a simple set of fully extended rabbit ears, since I live close to the tower. What's nice about VHF operation is the picture on the TV never pixelates on windy days. Early this past week, WJBK and WHNE were delivering a 100 percent steady picture while most of the UHF stations were pixelating frequently.

Winegard makes quality antennas, and the model you cited contains long elements. I agree it should be helpful in receiving VHF signals, including VHF low.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Dr. Sandi

Re: (APRIL FOOLS) WHNE adds Rewind TV, returns to UHF thru channel sharing

Post by Dr. Sandi » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:59 am

I found this little beauty online. Naturally it's made in China, but very affordable. I believe it's a low cost solution to the low VHF channel reception issue.

One manufacturing error though. You have to undo the little loop on the top and attach each end of the antenna to your twin-lead.

GenX lives at SuperCFL 94.5 HD4 Olympia - Streaming at http://supercfl.ddns.net:20110

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic