Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Roop Raj and Taryn Asher

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
dial-it-in

Re: Roop Raj and Taryn Asher

Post by dial-it-in » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:55 pm

thatguy wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:25 pm
dial-it-in wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:08 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:09 am
"Meh" is how I feel about WJBK's news product in general. Unless & until the station brings back the signature segments that put it on the map at 10PM, I have little interest in watching the product.'

Huel and Monica are good people, but Huel's syrupy sermonizing during interview segments in recent years became a bit too much for me to digest.

I gotta agree with that. Huel did seem to get more "preachy" the last couple of years.
Honestly, Huel Perkins was the reason I stopped watching Fox 2 news years ago. He always came off as a little self righteous to me

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:17 pm

Well, I've said it before in different threads on here. Nothing personal against Raj and Asher.

But Fox2 has to get viewers to change channels during the news hours. #1 priority is to get folks currently watching 4 and 7 to change channels. I just think they made a boo-boo by not bringing in new faces to host the evening news. They can run all the promo's of Raj and Asher they want on their own channel. I don't think it will make a dent in the ratings.

Can anyone honestly disagree?
Sorry to say it, but Nine Mile will continue to be relegated to third place, and probably fourth place once CBS62 gets going.

CBS62 will be new. New people. Who is not going to change channels just to see what's new?
Every one of us Buzzboarders will be flipping over to check out 62's news venture. Of course you are. It's new.
I'm sure everyone else will too. People want to see what they haven't seen before. Raj and Asher are not new.

thekman

Post by thekman » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:03 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:17 pm
Who is not going to change channels just to see what's new?
I could not respectfully disagree more. The people I know that watch the news regularly, all have their favorite station. And they seem to stick with it through the thick and thin.

My dad has watched channel 4 news for 60 years, and only watches channel 4. Only when sports preempts channel 4 will he watch another newscast. (When the Olympics takes away his 4pm newscast for two weeks straight, and he is forced to watch channel 7, he turns into one ornery old bastard.)

He’s been super pissed off at channel 4 ever since they let go of Emery King. He hates Bernie Smilovitz with a blinding hot passion. He misses Chuck Gaidica. But he keeps on watching. Because 4 is his news station.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:09 am

thekman wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:03 am
In The Bleachers wrote:
I could not respectfully disagree more. The people I know that watch the news regularly, all have their favorite station. And they seem to stick with it through the thick and thin.

My dad has watched channel 4 news for 60 years, and only watches channel 4. Only when sports preempts channel 4 will he watch another newscast. (When the Olympics takes away his 4pm newscast for two weeks straight, and he is forced to watch channel 7, he turns into one ornery old bastard.)

He’s been super pissed off at channel 4 ever since they let go of Emery King. He hates Bernie Smilovitz with a blinding hot passion. He misses Chuck Gaidica. But he keeps on watching. Because 4 is his news station.
I think there's some truth to both of your views. There will always be the forever viewers who will never switch and there will also be some curious folks who just want to see a new look and new faces.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:08 pm

thekman wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:03 am
In The Bleachers wrote:

Both sets of grandparents watched channel 11 in Toledo for years for news and only switched if sports preempted the newscasts.

edj

Post by edj » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:20 am

Channel 62 will start off very slow. They’ll be a distant 4th because most people are stuck into their habits. My parents were an exception. As a kid my mom used to watch 7, then drifted to a mix of 2 and 4. Never watched 50 for news to my recollection. Now she doesn’t watch local news. When the 60+ crowd is abandoning local TV news, you know there’s an issue with the product in general.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:44 am

There's probably not a chance in hell of 62 being anything other than a very distant fourth place for its first couple years.

See NBC 10 Boston, Fox 46 Charlotte, CBS 46 Atlanta and Fox 17 Grand Rapids (excluding 10PM, where it had no news competition at time of launch) if you don't believe me.

The goal should simply be to gradually build news viewership over those first couple to few years.

CBS 4 in Indy stands out as a noteworthy successful exception, but they benefited from WISH-TV losing its network affiliation, CBS being a historically strong network in local ratings (think Colts football and college basketball), and CBS 4 sharing ownership with Fox 59, a station with an existing strong news apparatus.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic