Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLLZ

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Realist

Re: WLLZ

Post by Realist » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:39 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:36 pm
Perhaps 106.7 should simply try to program classic rock properly. I think their current music approach, although not terrible by any stretch, isn't the right blend for Detroit.

I think the median song age needs to go much older; late 1970s would be ideal. Music should primarily run from mid 60s to late 80s on the station. Replace the Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana with Eric Clapton and the Beatles. Play some blues rock. Adjust the presentation to a more mature sound. Hire Karen Savelly, Steve Kostan, keep Podell, keep Carlini.
I believe you’re onto something there. Play classic rock that WCSX and WOMC cut from their playlists. It probably would get better ratings than the corporate playlist WLLZ plays

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:30 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:36 pm
Perhaps 106.7 should simply try to program classic rock properly. I think their current music approach, although not terrible by any stretch, isn't the right blend for Detroit.

I think the median song age needs to go much older; late 1970s would be ideal. Music should primarily run from mid 60s to late 80s on the station. Replace the Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana with Eric Clapton and the Beatles. Play some blues rock. Adjust the presentation to a more mature sound. Hire Karen Savelly, Steve Kostan, keep Podell, keep Carlini.
I have no doubt you'd get listeners with this approach. Like a lot of old midwest rustbelt cities, Detroit's population is old. Look at the stations that regularly dominate the ratings; WOMC, WCSX, WWJ etc. all. Your 35+ numbers would likely be very good, may ding CSX and OMC a bit, and if you have a competent sales dept. you could make some money.
But it's ifart so cue up Bon Jovi :lol

Deleted User 15773

Post by Deleted User 15773 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:21 am

Sadly, you will continue to hear.

Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen
The joker-Steve Miller Band(Goodness I hate that song)
Anything by the Doors
Anything by Jimi Hendrix(ick!)
Living on a prayer-Bon Jovi(can we please push Tommy off the dock already?)
AC/DC- You shook me all night long(really not a bad song but so overplayed)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple but yes, it has no local feel to it. Again, the way 106.7 The Drive and 106.7 D ended up folding in the end, it's a matter of time before WLLZ will make it's exit as well

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:22 pm

New morning show for Fake Wheelz next week - Josh Innes piped in from 105.9 The Rock Nashville.
https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2226 ... z-detroit/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:55 am

Probably more lame voicetracking as opposed to an actual show.

What the station needs is a new PD and a complete overhaul to its sound.

Alligatorarms

Post by Alligatorarms » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:10 am

People are saying WLLZ was all set to launch a new Drew & Trudi Morning Show but boomer couldn't cauterize his hemerrhoid Marc.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:06 pm

Yo. Where is Anne going then???

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:15 pm

Weekend middays supposedly.

RadioDork11

Post by RadioDork11 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:37 pm

Where does that leave Trudi? Will they push the lineup back. Podell on from 6-10pm?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:15 pm
You're joking.

They are gonna take someone like Anne Carlini, a very well known long-time Detroit jock, known on WLLZ and WRIF for over 30 years, and cut and paste her on the fckn weekends for some guy from out of town? And these clowns wonder why the ratings stink. Jesus Christ. They just can't leave it alone.

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:36 pm

Where does that leave Trudi? Will they push the lineup back. Podell on from 6-10pm?
I said Anne is moving to weekend middays, not weekday middays.

The rest of the weekday lineup, I presume, will be unaffected by the change in A.M. drive.

Yeah, I'm not sure what this move accomplishes, Mega. If Mr. Innes does an actual morning show with bits, sketches and such, then this change will be meaningful. However, I suspect it'll be the same type of air shift that nasally Alan Cox used to do from Cleveland.

One has to go all the way back to the Alice 106.7 days to find the last time AMFM / Clear Channel / iHM hasn't neglected mornings at 106.7 MHz locally, and I'm being generous by saying that, because "Davis & Darla" at the old Alice 106.7 more than 20 years ago was not a very good show.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:58 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:47 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:15 pm
You're joking.

They are gonna take someone like Anne Carlini, a very well known long-time Detroit jock, known on WLLZ and WRIF for over 30 years, and cut and paste her on the fckn weekends for some guy from out of town? And these clowns wonder why the ratings stink. Jesus Christ. They just can't leave it alone.
Obviously, the corporate suits don't understand the problem. Why remove Anne?

Given a choice, I'd rather have Bill McAllister back than some schmoe piped in from out of town. Bill may be a bit of a schmoe himself, but he's OUR guy, and in the motor city, that means something. Obviously, IHM didn't learn anything from Alan Cox...

Meanwhile, I think WRIF, with their new PD, has brought forward the music mix that WLLZ needs at this point. WRIF is going a little deeper on some artists. It's causing me to listen longer.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:01 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:36 pm
I said Anne is moving to weekend middays, not weekday middays.

The rest of the weekday lineup, I presume, will be unaffected by the change in A.M. drive.

Yeah, I'm not sure what this move accomplishes, Mega. If Mr. Innes does an actual morning show with bits, sketches and such, then this change will be meaningful. However, I suspect it'll be the same type of air shift that nasally Alan Cox used to do from Cleveland.

One has to go all the way back to the Alice 106.7 days to find the last time AMFM / Clear Channel / iHM hasn't neglected mornings at 106.7 MHz locally, and I'm being generous by saying that, because "Davis & Darla" at the old Alice 106.7 more than 20 years ago was not a very good show.
As soon as I read "Davis & Darla", my hand automatically shot forward to change the station. Old habits 😂

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:31 am

There has been some truly boring to downright terrible radio in mornings on 106.7 FM through the years.

Dave Fuller's morning show was unlistenable, Davis & Darla were about as interesting as watching paint dry, but the worst show to ever air on that station was the Chad Show during the station's "106.7 The Fox" country run. The butchered version of the Bob & Tom show was also quite bad.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:56 am

Shut Up And Rock :lol

As awful as all of those were, the worst was the Woody schmoe out of LA when they were Fault.

That was Rover/Church of Lazlo bad.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic