Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLLZ

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: WLLZ

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:30 pm

https://youtu.be/WU_gTdRYKl0

https://youtu.be/hIiwiVvb0Rc

Am I just nuts or is there a LOT of opening the mic in that 1995 clip? Before and after every song!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15773

Post by Deleted User 15773 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:07 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:09 pm
Grim Reaper wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:03 am
Yes... I recall when WLLZ changed to New Age and Soft Jazz music. What's sort of funny is, I actually came to like V98.7. Some of the stuff they played with fluff, but some of the music I still listen to this day. It was a matter of just too many stations playing the same thing in town and WLLZ's number was up.

Now, going alternative and using The "Detroit's Wheels" name seemed odd to me. Apparently no one else was quite buying it either. I actually tried to win a CD a couple of times but was unsuccessful.
Your last point, I made mention of that in another post a few months back. The "Detroit's Wheels" and WLLZ branding had way too much 80s "your dad's radio station" stink on it. How WRIF managed to wade through it is beyond me (though Podell had a H*** hand in it), but going from hair metal, to Phil Collins ballads in AM drive...to Stone Roses and Soul Asylum in 1995 without more than a change to "Today's Wheels" wasn't gonna work. By then, the younger set had 89x and Planet (for the alternative top 40), and WLLZ had stayed AOR tipping into classic rock for too long. There was talk WLLZ was on the chopping block for quite a while, anyway. They had me as a listener for sure in that 1994-95 time frame, but by the late part of 1995, EVERY TIME I tuned in, they were playing December by Collective Soul. Even as a kid I knew something was up.
Honestly, I didn't pay a lot of attention to WLLZ until summer of 1995. Some tracks I recall hearing where:

Alanis Morrissette- Hand in my pocket
Green day- Geek stink breath(fall of 95)
White Zombie- More human then human
Various Soundgarden tracks
Radiohead- High and dry(fall of 95)
Sonic Youth- I forget the name of the track
Talking heads- And she was(for some reason)
Folk Implosion- Natural one( Maybe?)
Yes... Collective Soul-December

WLLZ came in quite good in my area, as I was not all that close to The Detroit area. The name of the stations seemed as if it were a relic of 1985, If somehow they wanted alternative to work, they should of re-launched the station with a new name. However, with 89x, Planet 96.3, and to a less extent 93.9 The River, someone had to give it up. The change in format to soft jazz I feel was the correct move for the station.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:37 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:07 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Grim Reaper wrote:
Yes... I recall when WLLZ changed to New Age and Soft Jazz music. What's sort of funny is, I actually came to like V98.7. Some of the stuff they played with fluff, but some of the music I still listen to this day. It was a matter of just too many stations playing the same thing in town and WLLZ's number was up.

Now, going alternative and using The "Detroit's Wheels" name seemed odd to me. Apparently no one else was quite buying it either. I actually tried to win a CD a couple of times but was unsuccessful.
Your last point, I made mention of that in another post a few months back. The "Detroit's Wheels" and WLLZ branding had way too much 80s "your dad's radio station" stink on it. How WRIF managed to wade through it is beyond me (though Podell had a H*** hand in it), but going from hair metal, to Phil Collins ballads in AM drive...to Stone Roses and Soul Asylum in 1995 without more than a change to "Today's Wheels" wasn't gonna work. By then, the younger set had 89x and Planet (for the alternative top 40), and WLLZ had stayed AOR tipping into classic rock for too long. There was talk WLLZ was on the chopping block for quite a while, anyway. They had me as a listener for sure in that 1994-95 time frame, but by the late part of 1995, EVERY TIME I tuned in, they were playing December by Collective Soul. Even as a kid I knew something was up.
Honestly, I didn't pay a lot of attention to WLLZ until summer of 1995. Some tracks I recall hearing where:

WLLZ came in quite good in my area, as I was not all that close to The Detroit area. The name of the stations seemed as if it were a relic of 1985, If somehow they wanted alternative to work, they should of re-launched the station with a new name. However, with 89x, Planet 96.3, and to a less extent 93.9 The River, someone had to give it up. The change in format to soft jazz I feel was the correct move for the station.
Most of your list is correct. I don't remember hearing Hand In My Pocket, but they DID play You Oughta Know. Lots of Live, Collective Soul, Nirvana, AIC, Bullet With Butterfly Wings was played a lot, Soul Asylum, Stone Roses, Metallica, Sponge, STP, standard mid 90s rock. You're right, though. Long time listeners didn't like nothing but new rock (they had CSX and WRIF), and the younger kids had the stations you listed. Rumors have floated around the board that ownership wanted SJ there anyway, so Wheels' time was limited regardless.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:42 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Grim Reaper wrote:

https://youtu.be/JIOoya3puK0

Here ya go. I found this on a tape I had. Don't remember where I got it, but I posted it as WLLZ's later years are hard to come by. I believe it was August or September.

I played this for my then music director and he said "a 48 second promo with more drops than anything...no wonder they flipped formats".

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15773

Post by Deleted User 15773 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:47 pm

Oh my! I loved 1990s David Bowie! If I recall, The hearts filthy lesson is from The Outside album. It does seem they were trying a bit too hard to here. "Todays rock, todays wheels" sounds sort of, how shall I say... "Cheesy".

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:05 pm

I mostly listen to SiriusXM for my music. I turned on WLLZ in the garage today. I didn’t hate one song they played. Not sure where all the hate is from.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:18 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:37 pm
Grim Reaper wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Grim Reaper wrote:

Most of your list is correct. I don't remember hearing Hand In My Pocket, but they DID play You Oughta Know. Lots of Live, Collective Soul, Nirvana, AIC, Bullet With Butterfly Wings was played a lot, Soul Asylum, Stone Roses, Metallica, Sponge, STP, standard mid 90s rock. You're right, though. Long time listeners didn't like nothing but new rock (they had CSX and WRIF), and the younger kids had the stations you listed. Rumors have floated around the board that ownership wanted SJ there anyway, so Wheels' time was limited regardless.
It’s true. 89X and Planet 96.3 were the only stations friends my age listened to in 96(I was 13). It was pretty much 89X, Q95, Planet 96.3, 99.5, and WRIF. Never knew about the old WLLZ until Bill McAllister talked about it.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:08 am

windsorjoe wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:05 pm
I mostly listen to SiriusXM for my music. I turned on WLLZ in the garage today. I didn’t hate one song they played. Not sure where all the hate is from.
Of course you didnt. Because its all focus group tested reliable corporate safe songs.

Deleted User 15773

Post by Deleted User 15773 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:13 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:08 am
windsorjoe wrote:
Of course you didnt. Because its all focus group tested reliable corporate safe songs.
I can find many of those type of "Safe Songs" to be absolutely wretched. The question for me is, when does some of this music become irrelevant? I mean, no one plays 50s music anymore because, it's irrelevant. Most pre-Beatles early 60s type stuff as well.

Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, are all 50 years old. When does the audience move on at last?

I must admit, I am liking Alt 98.7! They sound much better! and while not perfect, it's nice not to have to hear, Metallica, AC/DC, and Def Leppard :x .

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:25 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:13 pm
dial-it-in wrote:
windsorjoe wrote:
I can find many of those type of "Safe Songs" to be absolutely wretched. The question for me is, when does some of this music become irrelevant? I mean, no one plays 50s music anymore because, it's irrelevant. Most pre-Beatles early 60s type stuff as well.

Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, are all 50 years old. When does the audience move on at last?

I must admit, I am liking Alt 98.7! They sound much better! and while not perfect, it's nice not to have to hear, Metallica, AC/DC, and Def Leppard :x .
I can only speak for myself but I suspect a lot of folks feel this way: Its not that we're tired of those bands (but in a way that is part of it); its that we're tired of the same handful of songs from those bands.
So many bands that they play they limit to the same tired tripe over and over that everyone has heard a million times.
WLLZ takes no risks, rarely delves into deeper cuts and basically keeps it to the songs that focus group nicely. And thats why I love their shit ratings. Shit ratings are exactly what they deserve.

Deleted User 15773

Post by Deleted User 15773 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:39 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:25 pm
Grim Reaper wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:13 pm
dial-it-in wrote:
windsorjoe wrote:

I can only speak for myself but I suspect a lot of folks feel this way: Its not that we're tired of those bands (but in a way that is part of it); its that we're tired of the same handful of songs from those bands.
So many bands that they play they limit to the same tired tripe over and over that everyone has heard a million times.
WLLZ takes no risks, rarely delves into deeper cuts and basically keeps it to the songs that focus group nicely. And thats why I love their shit ratings. Shit ratings are exactly what they deserve.
The classic rock format has been given 3 tries on the 106.7fm signal and it's achived the same results, give or take. The D's ratings were about the same and the station sounded nearly identical to the "New" WLLZ. Personally, I'd love to see Variety hits return to 106.7, I quite liked there version much better then 93.1 Doug FM's.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:44 am

Call me crazy but is it too much to ask for one of our rock stations to have us say "Wow! I havent heard this great song in forever!" consistently instead of "Fuck. This song again?".

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:22 pm

WLLZ might want to try a Detroit version on WMMS Cleveland or WTKS-FM (Real Radio) Orlando

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMMS

https://wmms.iheart.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTKS-FM

https://realradio.iheart.com/

There might be room for either some Sports coverage or Sports talk on there now that both 1090 and 1130 are out of the format. I just wouldn't do it full time. I also wouldn't play Alternative like what the Orlando station does in Detroit because it's taken.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:36 pm

Perhaps 106.7 should simply try to program classic rock properly. I think their current music approach, although not terrible by any stretch, isn't the right blend for Detroit.

I think the median song age needs to go much older; late 1970s would be ideal. Music should primarily run from mid 60s to late 80s on the station. Replace the Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana with Eric Clapton and the Beatles. Play some blues rock. Adjust the presentation to a more mature sound. Hire Karen Savelly, Steve Kostan, keep Podell, keep Carlini.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:36 pm
Perhaps 106.7 should simply try to program classic rock properly. I think their current music approach, although not terrible by any stretch, isn't the right blend for Detroit.

I think the median song age needs to go much older; late 1970s would be ideal. Music should primarily run from mid 60s to late 80s on the station. Replace the Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana with Eric Clapton and the Beatles. Play some blues rock. Adjust the presentation to a more mature sound. Hire Karen Savelly, Steve Kostan, keep Podell, keep Carlini.
Great idea! Then also hire Pam Rossi and do a true “Over Easy” show on weekend mornings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic