Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLLZ

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WLLZ

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:59 pm

I listened this morning, and I will say this much, it exceeded my expectations. The segments do seem to be live or nearly live.

Mr. Innes apparently opens mic on 106.7 when his Nashville station is in music and vice versa.

Still, I think 94.7, 97.1 and 101.1 have little to worry about.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:02 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:31 am
There has been some truly boring to downright terrible radio in mornings on 106.7 FM through the years.

Dave Fuller's morning show was unlistenable, Davis & Darla were about as interesting as watching paint dry, but the worst show to ever air on that station was the Chad Show during the station's "106.7 The Fox" country run. The butchered version of the Bob & Tom show was also quite bad.
What was bad about the Chad Show? I've heard by some as being one of the worst shows to ever air on Detroit radio.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:26 pm

That indeed is a correct assessment and perfectly describes my personal view. His female co host sounded like someone straight out of the scummiest, shittiest trailer park in Ohio or West Virginia. He had no inherent ability to lead a morning show - not funny, lacked a good radio voice, etc. - and his co-host sounded like an inbred idiot.

What's sad about all this is his predecessor, whose name escapes me, was an accomplished country radio DJ. I couldn't believe that guy was fired to put the pile of crap show that replaced his on the air.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:00 pm

Fuck me running. I forgot Boob & Turd aired here. Thanks for the reminder 🤢

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:26 pm
That indeed is a correct assessment and perfectly describes my personal view. His female co host sounded like someone straight out of the scummiest, shittiest trailer park in Ohio or West Virginia. He had no inherent ability to lead a morning show - not funny, lacked a good radio voice, etc. - and his co-host sounded like an inbred idiot.

What's sad about all this is his predecessor, whose name escapes me, was an accomplished country radio DJ. I couldn't believe that guy was fired to put the pile of crap show that replaced his on the air.
Was that Scott Gaines? He is quite good.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:25 pm

It may have been, but I thought he handled afternoons at The Fox. I want to say the gentleman's first name is Bill.

I remember Gaines and the other guy were blown out around the same time.

The Fox had some good air talent in its first year, but the bare bones stationality hurt it. Crappy sounding liners, no jingles, no news or weather update vignettes, weak contests, etc.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:50 am

MW it was Rick Miller doing mornings on 106.7 The Fox. If you remember correctly, Cheap Channel let their audience "choose" the DJs, just like we got to "choose" the format of country and "choose" the name 106.7 The Fox.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:43 pm

That sounds right. He did a good job, I thought.

Nothing wrong with the name, initial DJs or format, in my opinion. The creative was very rough sounding, however.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:46 am

I think the obvious thing wrong with what Clear Channel did at the time was not calling it W4 Country, but I digress. I don't know what can be done to save WLLZ at this point. I'd like to think a live and local morning show with Drew Lane would help, but WCSX is so far ahead and has a 30 year built in advantage, that I don't know what would work anymore.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:14 pm

What was that whole stunt about the listeners "choosing" the format, station name, and DJs? It looks like the listeners never actually did anything at all?

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:50 am

Flipping by yesterday I heard the unmistakable notes of "Hotel California".
Holy fuck. WLLZ, you are an absolute joke. :lol

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:18 am

It's official, Alice, The Drive is back. Like a dog chasing its tail.... Next to be added to the playlist.... hootie and the blowfish.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:28 am

Although I don't agree with the Hootie portion of your post, I agree that the playlist has gone a bit softer and is now skewing a bit older.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:16 pm

I checked out the morning show in passing. First break I heard was about him being an oppressed white male in America, unable to say shitty things online.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:40 pm

I checked out the morning show in passing. First break I heard was about him being an oppressed white male in America, unable to say shitty things online.
I was listening when your fave track was number 1 on the Rock n Roll 500 over Memorial Day weekend. Podell said it was "the most voted on and most requested" which just seemed incomprehensible.

https://1067wllz.iheart.com/content/202 ... -500-list/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic