Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLLZ

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WLLZ

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:18 pm

It's a classic rock station. They play standard bearers of the rock genre, which generally means old music.

The station was never truly all-in on being the "New generation of classic rock," and I always thought adopting that slogan was a stupid move since it was being attached to a brand that was being dug up from a 25 year old grave. Most people who fondly remember WLLZ are in their late 40s to early 60s now.

Listen to old airchecks of WRIF and WLLZ from the 80s on YouTube. They were hardly headbangin' stations. Plenty of mid tempo music was played.

I might be in the minority here, but I think playing a wider assortment of classic rock makes a lot of sense. It will help WLLZ capture more P2 listening from WCSX P1s who might be using WOMC as their P2 station. And guess who the top billing FM music station in the market is? None other than WOMC.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:44 pm

I think my frustrations lie in that I feel a certain group of us is getting washed out. I mean, another station that's playing BTO and fucking Toto? We're talking songs that are pushing 50 years old. I'm waiting to tune in and hear Loggins and Messina.

If iHeart wants to take a piece of Audacy's pie via WOMC, then let's have 98.7 toughen up the playlist here. Let's throw us 30-45's a bone.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:44 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:44 pm
I think my frustrations lie in that I feel a certain group of us is getting washed out. I mean, another station that's playing BTO and fucking Toto? We're talking songs that are pushing 50 years old. I'm waiting to tune in and hear Loggins and Messina.

If iHeart wants to take a piece of Audacy's pie via WOMC, then let's have 98.7 toughen up the playlist here. Let's throw us 30-45's a bone.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:58 am

I certainly share your sentiments, Mega, regarding 98.7.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:19 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:

The question is, when does some of that music become irrelevant? I mean, take for example More then a feeling by Boston or Break on through by the Doors. The doors are pushing 55 years old and Boston is 45+. It's like 50s and pre-Beatles 60s music, it's kind of irrelevant anymore. To me a lot of 1970s music is going that way too, it's a time that's long since past.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:12 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:19 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:

The question is, when does some of that music become irrelevant? I mean, take for example More then a feeling by Boston or Break on through by the Doors. The doors are pushing 55 years old and Boston is 45+. It's like 50s and pre-Beatles 60s music, it's kind of irrelevant anymore. To me a lot of 1970s music is going that way too, it's a time that's long since past.
If you look at many oldies stations, 2001 seemed to be pretty big in dropping quite a few 50's songs and adding more 70's. That's what I wonder about classic rock. When do more 90's besides Grunge become part of the playlists?

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:46 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:12 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

If you look at many oldies stations, 2001 seemed to be pretty big in dropping quite a few 50's songs and adding more 70's. That's what I wonder about classic rock. When do more 90's besides Grunge become part of the playlists?
In Toledo, I've seen some of the stuff XKR use to play, migrate over to WRQN. Some 90s artists are now staples on classic rock stations but I imagine we may see more of that.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:38 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:46 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

In Toledo, I've seen some of the stuff XKR use to play, migrate over to WRQN. Some 90s artists are now staples on classic rock stations but I imagine we may see more of that.
You mean like Van Halen's 1991 FUCK album? With no less than 5 radio ready kick ass tunes that WLLZ should be playing?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:39 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:38 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Riff Raff wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

You mean like Van Halen's 1991 FUCK album? With no less than 5 radio ready kick ass tunes that WLLZ should be playing?
Yes. They have played Right Now from time to time but, ironically, WCSX has played more from that album than WLLZ. I see no reason why Poundcake can't be even a tertiary song.

-TurkeyTop

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:16 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:39 pm
dial-it-in wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:38 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Riff Raff wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

Yes. They have played Right Now from time to time but, ironically, WCSX has played more from that album than WLLZ. I see no reason why Poundcake can't be even a tertiary song.
Poundcake
Runaround
The Dream is Over
Right Now
Top of the World

Every single one of these should be in rotation to some extent. How many times do we need to hear Jaimie's Cryin, Jump or Panama?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:33 pm

If I ever, EVER heard The Dream Is Over on mainstream FM rock radio, I would probably shit where I stood.

Why Can't This Be Love
Dreams
Summer Nights
Best of Both Worlds
Love Walks In
When It's Love
Feels So Good
Finish What Ya Started
Black and Blue
Poundcake
Runaround
Right Now
Top of the World
Can't Stop Loving You
Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do
Not Enough

Were all mainstream rock radio hits. That doesn't include deeper cuts like "5150" and "Cabo Wabo".

Nope.

JUMP!

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:50 pm

Doug Podell just called "Fire Woman" by the Cult a "deep cut". I shit you not.

I think the Doc of Rock needs his doctor's license revoked!

It's a very good song, but it sure as hell isn't a deep cut.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:41 pm

Fire Woman? As in "gets decent airplay on WRIF" Fire Woman?

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:48 pm

Yup.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:46 pm

WLLZ was occasionally playing Iron Maiden, "The Trooper" last winter. Haven't heard it in probably 6 months. Nothing wrong with that song. Songs like that could really make WLLZ stand out. Yesterday, it was "Born to be Wild" followed by Alice In Chains "The Rooster". Not exactly a smooth segue.

As far as Van Halen goes, all of those songs are fair game. I miss hearing "I'll Wait" on WLLZ. That one seems to be in the musical dustbin as well. Great drum solo in that song.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic