Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

KROQ in L.A.'s transition to hard-edged alt rock is in full swing; will Fault 98.7 follow suit?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

KROQ in L.A.'s transition to hard-edged alt rock is in full swing; will Fault 98.7 follow suit?

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:15 pm

After playing "Freedom" by Rage Against the Machine at 5PM sharp local time, the DJ on KROQ openly celebrated the resignation of Mike Kaplan as KROQ's OM/PD (he's still the alternative format captain at Audacy, unfortunately) and announced the station would be playing plenty of Tool, Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down from now on. She ended by thanking the listeners for "sticking with us" through the bleak period when Kaplan was PD.

Even saw that KROQ played "Breathe" by Prodigy earlier this afternoon! :horns

Wouldn't it be GREAT to have a station like this in Detroit? Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. I think Fault 98.7 is in a holding pattern until Audacy decides 950 WWJ needs an FM simulcast.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Re: KROQ in L.A.'s transition to hard-edged alt rock is in full swing; will Fault 98.7 follow suit?

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:32 pm

I don't think they will, awesome as that would be. Going too hard means getting into WRIF territory. That never ends well for rock stations around here.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: KROQ in L.A.'s transition to hard-edged alt rock is in full swing; will Fault 98.7 follow suit?

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:39 pm

Worked reasonably well, though, for 89X for nearly a decade until the morning show was hired away. Cal Cagno ruined that station. His morning show was rotten. Add to that a shift to indie music, and you wind up with a disaster. They never recovered from that.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:39 pm
Worked reasonably well, though, for 89X for nearly a decade until the morning show was hired away. Cal Cagno ruined that station. His morning show was rotten. Add to that a shift to indie music, and you wind up with a disaster. They never recovered from that.
They let their best talent go. Phatt Matt, Gnyp, and Kelly Brown all went elsewhere.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:40 am

Gnyp and Phat Matt were both given airshifts anew after the station completely discontinued all U.S. operations. Neither were very good on the air, IMO. They were eventually replaced (again), but it did no good. Nate and Kim were fucking horrible.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:04 am

I would love to see them do this. Absolutely. A great positioner would be that you don't have to sit through Motley Crue, Whitesnake or some clone mainstream rock act to get to the Tool, RATM, etc. I wish I had access to the in-demo numbers now that they've all but stopped the tik tok crap and started playing more gold. There's room for it and I think it could work in Detroit.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:05 am

Oh, and that fucking garbage afternoon show needs to go.

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic