Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

J .P. McCarthy Drunk-A-Thon

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

J .P. McCarthy Drunk-A-Thon

Post by Bobbert » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:10 am

Every St. Patrick's Day, I think back to when J. P. McCarthy's morning show would turn into a big drinking party with a bunch of local personalities (mostly politicians). At its peak, it reflected the heavy influence of Irish-Americans on local politics at that time.

Ben Zonia

Re: J .P. McCarthy Drunk-A-Thon

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:28 pm

As much as J.P. had his faults, and sometimes annoyed me, the title is a cheap shot against proper respect for the untimely deceased J.P.

That said, I miss the days when Irish Politicans went around town in trucks with H*** bullhorns on their roofs, exhorting the people to vote for their candidate.

The Bricklayer's Song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Kzje9nF4A

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:40 pm

Dave and Chuck the Freak had some fun times at the Old Sheleleigh in Corktown back at 89X.

Anyway, I read this as JJ McCarthy and immediately thought: his ass should be resting after he got hurt. LOL.

I actually knew JP's call screener. Her son attended my high school. She had a lot of respect for him and spoke highly of his work ethic. I was fairly young when he retired but certainly remember how locally focused WJR was back in the day.
I do remember his sudden death and how revered he was.

I actually got a souvenir radio from a game at Tiger Stadium that had WJR on it with one of those spin wheel analog dials. Wish I hung on to it even after it stopped working. Listening to Ernie Harwell narrate the Tiger games on WJR while I did my homework will always be a fond memory.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:31 am

Detroit Free Press (12/18/14):

"A trip to McCarthy's annual St. Patrick's Day party would show his clout. It was A-list politicians, top auto execs, ad execs, auto dealers, big shots of every stripe, all getting drunk as McCarthy cruised the room, acknowledging his acolytes. It was a treasured invite. Then, you were supposed to go back to work, half-drunk, and tell your jealous coworkers that "Hey, I just got hammered at J.P.'s party." "

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainme ... /20596035/

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:35 pm

So, I just listened to an audio clip on YouTube. And his voice definitely jogged my memory. I do remember him.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:25 pm

Politicians drinking excessively near an open microphone. What could go wrong?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic