Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Frank Beckmann in hospice care

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Matt

Frank Beckmann in hospice care

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:48 pm

This sucks, 72 is waaaay too young: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 756564001/

Not expected to make it to Monday...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Mega Hertz

Re: Frank Beckmann in hospice care

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:37 pm

Jesus Christ! This sure happened quick. We're just hearing about this now?
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

conelrad

Post by conelrad » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:32 pm

It was up to the family to release the information. What’s your problem with their timeline?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:38 pm

conelrad wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:32 pm
It was up to the family to release the information. What’s your problem with their timeline?
Usually these things get out quicker. Then again, I don't remember asking you for a fucking thing.
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:48 pm

conelrad wrote:
Typically these things get out quicker.

conelrad

Post by conelrad » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:55 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:38 pm
conelrad wrote:
Usually these things get out quicker. Then again, I don't remember asking you for a fucking thing.
Lighten up. What an odd response. 😬

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:52 pm

After Frank retired, he continued to do spots for a couple of longtime advertisers on WJR. When the spots suddenly disappeared, I began to suspect something was wrong, but never imagined it would be this.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:35 pm

Per the Detroit News

Retired radio host Frank Beckmann in hospice care, family says
The Detroit News,
Longtime WJR-AM radio host and University of Michigan football play-by-play man Frank Beckmann is in critical condition at an Oakland County hospice facility, his family said Friday.
Karen Beckmann, his wife, told The Detroit News that doctors give him days to live.
The 72-year-old longtime media personality has been suffering from VACULAR DEMENTIA, a rare and untreatable brain disease.
Frank Beckmann
“The doctors said they don’t expect him to last until Monday," his wife said.
Beckmann, who lives in Rochester Hills, retired from WJR last March, when his contract ended. The next month, he started exhibiting behavior unusual for him. By June, he had been diagnosed, his family said.
In October, he suffered a severe stroke and was hospitalized for 35 days. In December he was transferred to hospice and has since had four more strokes. He is currently semi-comatose, Karen Beckmann said.
Frank Beckmann, who grew up in Detroit, spent 48 years at WJR.
He called UM football games for 33 years and spent several seasons as an announcer for both the Detroit Tigers and the Lions.
Beckmann also hosted a conservative-leaning morning talk show later in his career, when his topics included casting doubts about global warming, discussing the latest in politics, discussing "American Idol" and hosting weekly trivia contests.
“All of us at WJR are praying for Frank and his family right now and I know that he is in the hearts of listeners all over Michigan who have followed him in his legendary 48-year career here at the radio station," the station said in a Friday statement.
Beckmann was inducted into the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame in 2008 and has been inducted into the Michigan Associations of Broadcasters Hall of Fame. He also wrote a guest column for The Detroit News from 2005-15.
“Frank had a fabulous professional career,” his wife said. “The thing he was best at was his interviews, he was able to ask the questions that drew his listeners in. His listeners felt as if they were part of the conversation."
The couple has two children, John, 38, and Tori Kughn, 33.
“Frank is a fabulous grandfather. He has three grandchildren and wants to be with them all the time. They love him. He’s also a great father and husband," his wife said.
“Frank has had a great life. He loved what he did, and was so good at what he did.”

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:01 am

I feel very bad for Mr. Beckmann's family. Undoubtedly, the past several months have been grueling and extremely agonizing. I enjoyed his U-M football work through the years. George Blaha mentioned this news about ten minutes into the Pistons broadcast last night.

For this who don't know, Mr. Beckmann hired George Blaha in the late 70s to do Pistons play by play on WJR. I'd say that was a pretty good hire. :)
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:01 am

Re evaluating my retirement plans. Maybe I won't wait as long as I was planning too.

Like him or not, he had a broadcasting career that anyone in the business has to respect.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

rushbuzz1013

Post by rushbuzz1013 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:10 am

I was fortunate to work with Frank on a number of sports telecasts way back when. I miss his professional approach to his craft as well as his fondness for a good joke. He always brought something to the table. Onward and upward.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:10 am

Days to live. Barely two or three. How the hell does the family deal with that? I mean, months to live is one thing, but days?
-TurkeyTop

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:17 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:01 am
Re evaluating my retirement plans. Maybe I won't wait as long as I was planning too.

Like him or not, he had a broadcasting career that anyone in the business has to respect.
Yep, I was flapping on whether to go at 60, 62 or keep going until 65. This makes it easy, 59 and 1/2 with some part time work for stupid hobby money.

My father has a form of vascular dementia, and it is an awful way to go.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic