Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Major snowstorm brewing

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Thunderstorm

Re: Major snowstorm brewing

Post by Thunderstorm » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:41 am

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:58 am

We need meteorologists who play it straight, like Jerry Hodak used to, or have some fun with it like Sonny Eliot. I don't mind technical at times, but television weather doesn't have to be played like it's high drama, with the focus on overemphasizing the fact that the weather will impact our lives more on some days, less on others. Let's act like we've been here before, because we have.

https://youtu.be/GcKajrki0bQ

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:00 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:16 am
Thursday AM, WDIV is still cluttering up the screen with now largely wrong (and contradicted by their own forecasters) "What to expect" snowmageddon numbers from Wednesday (for every village, town, city, county and shire in the viewing area and beyond), and Closings, that, by 10am, do not need to be shown any longer, since everyone affected is home anyway.
Stop already.
I'm shocked they weren't plastering something like this all over the screen:

SIX MILLLION MICHIGANDERS UNDER SEVERE SNOWSTORM RISK. LIVES ARE IN DANGER!!!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:10 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:40 am
And now for the real slap in the face....two weeks of 5 degree weather.
Won’t get to 32 until next Wednesday and exactly 32 at that.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:43 pm

Yes, the total snowfall blurb that kept changing wasn't accurate but was highly distracting.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:03 pm

FAKE NEWS. Ratings were up!! Gotcha!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:06 pm

Another sunny day in Traverse City
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:16 pm

The mainstream media never let a crisis - whether real or fabricated - go to waste.

The idiotic local TV news outlets all led their 5pm newscasts with snow coverage. I doubt any of the lead stories contained a mea culpa regarding their whiffs on snowfall totals.

I know I whiffed big time on the Ohio and border county totals.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:53 pm

Kudos to channel 7!

They just aired a post mortem analysis of what went wrong with the forecasts from Monday and Tuesday. Nice to see them admit the forecast error and to explain what changed and why.

About two more inches fell at my place this afternoon. Up to 7 - 8 inches total for the two days, including the first inch that melted. Also getting some drifting snow.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:15 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:25 am
lidoshuffle wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:49 pm
It's a good thing schools canceled classes Wed morning, I mean geez, the busses running in 40 degree weather and the rain, OMG the kids waiting at the bus stops in the rain...so glad school was canceled Wed morning...
I guess you never been on snow packed gravel road, right after it starts raining?
I didn't realize all roads in the Metro Detroit area were gravel/dirt roads, thank you for enlightning me...

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:53 pm
Kudos to channel 7!

They just aired a post mortem analysis of what went wrong with the forecasts from Monday and Tuesday. Nice to see them admit the forecast error and to explain what changed and why.

About two more inches fell at my place this afternoon. Up to 7 - 8 inches total for the two days, including the first inch that melted. Also getting some drifting snow.
Yeah, you were on the money, my friend. Good job.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:27 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:42 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:53 pm
Kudos to channel 7!

Yeah, you were on the money, my friend. Good job.
Down by the airport we got 3-4… it was an absolute mess just as they had the roads cleared from the first round and to boot this stuff drifted.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:36 am

Hope you're all ready for more. Looks like a conveyor belt pattern may be setting up over the next 2 weeks. The GFS shows 3 consecutive clippers coming through on the 9th, 10th, and 12th, and then about 2 weeks out they're showing a literally identical storm as to what just went through. Now that last one is way too far out to say with any certainty whatsoever it is going to happen, but the models picked up on the one that just went through a full 10 days out.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:21 pm

Monroe received fairly heavy snowfall yesterday, so their total is now 10.1 inches for the two days. Metro scored 9.2 inches for both days combined; the final 3 inches fell Thursday and Thursday evening. Parts of Toledo wound up with 12.5 inches (most fell Thursday and Thursday night).

Guess my forecast for Toledo wasn't off as much as I feared! It actually held up pretty darn well from Tuesday onward. I rolled it back just a bit too much on Wednesday.

Findlay only wound up with 8 to 9 inches total.

The two places where my forecast sucked were the Lansing and Flint areas, especially northern Genesee.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:39 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:21 pm
Monroe received fairly heavy snowfall yesterday, so their total is now 10.1 inches for the two days. Metro scored 9.2 inches for both days combined; the final 3 inches fell Thursday and Thursday evening. Parts of Toledo wound up with 12.5 inches (most fell Thursday and Thursday night).

Guess my forecast for Toledo wasn't off as much as I feared! It actually held up pretty darn well from Tuesday onward. I rolled it back just a bit too much on Wednesday.

Findlay only wound up with 8 to 9 inches total.

The two places where my forecast sucked were the Lansing and Flint areas, especially northern Genesee.
The weather casters were saying 4-5" so don't feel bad.

I believe we finished with around 7.5"here in Warren. I will get a measurement in a couple minutes.

Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic