Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mike and Jon gone from WHMI

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
ZenithCKLW

Re: Mike and Jon gone from WHMI

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:46 pm

Isn't WXYT-1270 specifically a sports betting format? I've never listened so I'm not sure if this applies.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:46 am

audiophile wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:53 am
No, you are WAY overthinking this.

It wasn't anything about a local advertiser, just that the "click" of radios was being heard by all the nonsense.

From the linked article below you see it wasn't just about specific advertiser:

"WHMI () covered some recent controversial stories in the community, from COVID and vaccinations and misinformation to Drag Queen Bingo to President Joe Biden’s visit to Howell."

Drag Queen Bingo is news story? Not! I see why Krol would have conversation with this guy about those radios going "click". Besides, gambling on the air can be a serious FCC issue. Krol has owned the station for 6 years and it might have been getting old. The view from your cheap seat must be pretty good, LOL. Seriously, I can't walk in Krol's shoes, and you can't either.
"All right, everybody, move along. There's nothing to see here. It was just a former employee who wouldn't do as he was told. His morning show partner felt bad for him, so he walked out as well. Still, 'we wish the two of them all the best!' Please be patient while we try to find a new News Director who will follow our rules, as determined by either us or our bosses, the loudest complaining listeners or advertisers."

Of course, Krol can do what they want. It's their station. Listeners can "click" off their radios for any number of reasons, too. It's interesting that Jon King worked there for years without raising enough cause to be dismissed, but now he's gone rogue and become "out of line" (my quote).

No, Drag Queen Bingo isn't necessarily a story. The controversy over its' existence, however, is likely newsworthy, especially in an area served by a station that claims to represent a local community, ostensibly as a news leader. Controversy is news. That's why the station has recently been the subject of discussion outside of its' normal scope of influence. We all know this wasn't about Drag Queen Bingo, right?

The real gambling going on here is WHMI gambling that their listeners care less about the news than that hometown-radio-station image (whatever that really means). I'm reading in their FAQ their long-winded explanation as to why they don't play requests. That doesn't seem like a neighborly way to do radio business, but if they felt the need to tell us that, it must be important to them.

Important just like the news (or non-news, depending upon whose opinions are in play) they don't want covered. The view from the cheap seats is fine, thanks. I know that WHMI's news coverage can be directed by outside influences, so I wouldn't want to walk in their shoes. I don't have to do that to know compromised credibility when I see it.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:11 pm

"Local News" is even more functionally obsolete than local radio itself. Regardless, newscasters should not be editorializing. Even the Salem Radio Network newscasts sound neutral, as they should. Westwood One was the same way. Listeners should not be able to figure out the political slant of the news anchor they are listening to.

19 years is 5 or 6 LIFETIMES as radio gigs go, almost unheard of these days. In a fringe market like Livingston County, even moreso. Forgive me, and perhaps I am biased, but I have zero sympathy.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:24 am

I work full-time in retail about a mile down the road from WHMI. I have a Broadcast Journalism degree and 3 years' radio experience at my college station (from the 70's). I specialize in oldies from the 60's to the 90's. I would consider ANY full-time (with benefits) position at WHMI. Contact me on this board, please.

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:41 pm

non-anon bob wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:24 am
I work full-time in retail about a mile down the road from WHMI. I have a Broadcast Journalism degree and 3 years' radio experience at my college station (from the 70's). I specialize in oldies from the 60's to the 90's. I would consider ANY full-time (with benefits) position at WHMI. Contact me on this board, please.
Which place? I'll pop in and say hi!

Also: don't get your hopes up on getting a job from this board 😉

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:44 pm

So, Krol Broadcasting is now ran by the Livingston County Republican Party?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:23 pm

whitebalance wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:44 pm
So, Krol Broadcasting is now ran by the Livingston County Republican Party?
Yes. Which is fine. So long as their isn't a perceived "liberal" bias it's okay.

-TurkeyTop

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:14 pm

We'll never be fully able to judge the actions taken without hearing the newscast(s) in question, along with what was said to the station, and their directive to the news reporter. Until the whole picture would be available, this remains a "he said, she said, they said, we say" subject.

That "said", the station didn't handle the situation with much clarity or credibility. I'm guessing that's not too much of a problem for them, though. Their only concerns are that the listeners find something different to listen to or the advertisers decide to spend their money elsewhere. This subject is not likely to last long unless it somehow gains its' own momentum.

One thing does puzzle me: Their station logo - what decade is that meant to represent? I'm not a fan of it, in any event.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:33 pm

ICYMI: Veteran broadcaster Jim Bosh is now doing mornings with Madison.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:18 pm

Art Van Damme wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:33 pm
ICYMI: Veteran broadcaster Jim Bosh is now doing mornings with Madison.
That's a good hire. Purely by chance, I heard Bosh when he was working in Denver many years ago. He has an extensive resume' and will certainly be an improvement over the last two schlemiels, who stayed far too long.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:10 pm

Denver to Howell. That's impressive? I'm sure this was approved by the Michigan Russian Republican Party

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:36 am

whitebalance wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:10 pm
Denver to Howell. That's impressive? I'm sure this was approved by the Michigan Russian Republican Party
The Denver gig had to be more than 25 years ago. Bosh has called Howell home for quite a few years, but let's not allow FACTS to get in the way of a great zinger post, my rancid colleague.

As to the "right wing" stuff, I don't know or care about his political leanings, but from looking at his resume' you may be on to something... Hartford, Cleveland, Denver, Boston, Vermont. Yep, all hard-right outposts for sure. Keep the funnies coming. :rollin

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:53 pm

Did anyone hear the "needle across the record sound" around 6 this morning? It was happening during a 🤢 Bob Seger song and then lasted into the news report. Wonder what that was all about.

-TurkeyTop

Mmarino

Post by Mmarino » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:03 am

This “schlemiel” wishes Bosh and Madison the best of luck and hope they have as much fun as the other “schlemiel”and I did doing mornings at WHMI.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:26 pm

Mike & Jon now have a podcast, which is being promoted on a H*** billboard on the north side of I-96 near Chilson Rd. Way to go guys! Take those listeners away from WHMI's "Bosh in the Morning." Screw Krol Communications! :hat

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic