Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Real AC station

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Real AC station

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:47 am

In the last 20+ years, there has not been a "real" Adult Contemporary station.
The format evolved to playing old music with a random newer random pop song once in a while.
I'm talking a station that actually plays the songs on the AC charts.
A couple years ago I was flipping through whatever music service was on DirecTV and stumbled upon "soft rock", and they were playing all these current songs on the AC charts from artists like Bon Jovi, Rod Stewart, etc.
Songs not played on FM AC Stations, combined with some gold tracks going back to the 70s.

Why doesn't this exist and how does the AC chart even exist anymore without such radio stations?

Music is my life.

audiophile

Re: Real AC station

Post by audiophile » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:12 am

All the talent moved to country, so AC stations aren't playing the new stiffs that aren't worth playing.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:31 am

Well that doesn't add up. If it isn't "worth playing", how and why are these virtually unheard of songs making the top 40 on the AC charts?
I just looked up Bon Jovi and they just had a single last year hit number 10 on the Adult Contemporary chart.
I have not heard it once, yet Justin Bieber's "Stay", which also peaked at no. 10 on the AC chart comes on WNIC every few hours.

Rod Stewart recently also had 2 singles, one that hit number 10 and one that peaked at 19.
I've never heard either
So Uhhh what the hell?

Music is my life.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:24 am

audiophile wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:12 am
All the talent moved to country, so AC stations aren't playing the new stiffs that aren't worth playing.
It may be best for you to stay in your own lane. :smokin

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:28 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:31 am
Well that doesn't add up. If it isn't "worth playing", how and why are these virtually unheard of songs making the top 40 on the AC charts?
I just looked up Bon Jovi and they just had a single last year hit number 10 on the Adult Contemporary chart.
I have not heard it once, yet Justin Bieber's "Stay", which also peaked at no. 10 on the AC chart comes on WNIC every few hours.

Rod Stewart recently also had 2 singles, one that hit number 10 and one that peaked at 19.
I've never heard either
So Uhhh what the hell?
He knows very little about secular music, so pay no attention to that folderol. I could answer, but I've been out of the game so long, it may be best to wait for someone like armchair PD, or Holmes to chime in.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:09 pm

I like how anything that falls out of the category of "overplayed 150 song list" or "Wasn't a #1 hit for 44 weeks" is automatically a "stiff". Why do people even bother recording then?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:20 pm

The last true AC station that I remember was WRVF in Toledo, which had a good signal S of I-96. And this probably didn’t last past the early 2000s. They did a great job of playing songs on the Mainstream AC Radio and Records chart, while WNIC was working with a smaller playlist.

AC has changed a lot in the last 20 years…IMO Mainstream AC has become Hot AC, and Hot AC has become more CHR.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:17 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:31 am

I've never heard either
So Uhhh what the hell?
These Bon Jovi AC Chart songs from 2020 are stiffs IMHO:

#11 AC

#10 AC

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:17 pm

Does anyone think about corporate playlists and how the lists get made? Personal experience says that if corporate does not want music in the automation, it does not go there. A Toiletto, Ohio former PD, now 4th place morning show host was demoted partially for adding untested and unapproved music. One company might air some AC songs, while the next refuses. Each company makes a decision for everyone in every market nowadays. You go against the playlist or mess with/move songs on the long- CHOP! Many many many times I had to personally remove songs out of Stratus, along with Maestro and OpX, so nobody fished for music. Some songs were airing across town and on sat shows, but were not allowed company air. For example, Town Square may play something iHeart won't, while Cumuless may air a different version of that same song.

Being in the MD and Programming chairs, I can tell you this with confidence.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic