Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

December Radio Ratings

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Marcus

December Radio Ratings

Post by Marcus » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:03 am

New Country 93.1 (WDRQ) might flip before Alt 98.7 does.

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/

thatonedude

Re: December Radio Ratings

Post by thatonedude » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:17 am

Hell, maybe they'll go back to Doug... (alright, I'll put the crack pipe down)

Seriously though, I will shit rainbows and gumdrops if 98.7 becomes WWJ-FM in 2022. 93.1? At this point, what can Cumulus flip it to?

take this job and shove it

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:40 am

Soft AC or Gold AC would be the best options for a replacement format. Each would be complementary to WDVD and would pull at least a little share away from WNIC.

Country can be moderately successful if programmed properly. A syndicated nighttime show with too much softer leaning country, the mess in mornings, frequent audio problems, and horrendous music choices in the locally programmed dayparts are all hurting the station.

Brian Phillips is doing a terrible job as Cumulus programming chief insofar as the country stations go.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:00 am

With the insane ratings that WNIC gets in December, I'm really surprised that 'YCD or 93.1 didn't go for a Country Christmas format. They both took a hit in the December books because of NIC's dominance.

I agree with MWmetalhead: 93.1 could do worse than return to 93.1 Detroit's LITE FM. If Cumulus isn't going to pump any more money into the station, that's the way to go.

Deleted User 15716

Post by Deleted User 15716 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:01 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:17 am
93.1? At this point, what can Cumulus flip it to?
Hold on to your knickers.
Another CKWW.
Just ponder it for 12.7 seconds before you say I've had too much peppermint schnapps. Yes, CKWW is weak outside of the Sun Parlour. But it does seem everyone that can hear it on this side of the river likes it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:00 pm

Cumulus does have a very good track record with the classic hits format nationally, despite the fact they ditched the format in Saginaw. I'd love to see 104.3 get a direct competitor.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:12 pm

Joie Vivre wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:01 pm
thatonedude wrote:
Another CKWW.
Just ponder it for 12.7 seconds before you say I've had too much peppermint schnapps. Yes, CKWW is weak outside of the Sun Parlour. But it does seem everyone that can hear it on this side of the river likes it.
I absolutely love CKWW. And it seems that their signal is better at my home in Livonia in recent years than say, 10+ years ago. And with their transmitter pointing north, it blasts in north of Port Huron which is where I spend much of my summer, where Detroit FM tends to fade out anyway. CKWW seems under-promoted.

I would welcome a similar format on 93.1, but I will still be partial to AM 580. I would also welcome a return of Lite FM WLTI.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:00 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:12 pm
Joie Vivre wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:01 pm
thatonedude wrote:
Another CKWW.
I absolutely love CKWW. And it seems that their signal is better at my home in Livonia in recent years than say, 10+ years ago. And with their transmitter pointing north, it blasts in north of Port Huron which is where I spend much of my summer, where Detroit FM tends to fade out anyway. CKWW seems under-promoted.

I would welcome a similar format on 93.1, but I will still be partial to AM 580. I would also welcome a return of Lite FM WLTI.
Cumulus has the WLTI calls parked on a country station, AM 1550 in New Castle, IN. I think they've been there 3 or 4 years. I'm not fanning the flames of speculation, but if they want WLTI, they already own it.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:14 pm

How about that. My three guesses for stations to flip all farting around in a race to the bottom. I have a strange feeling 98.7 will go first. It feels like they're running that top 100 alternative songs countdown non-stop.

I think cume-u-less is gonna keep 93.1 around for a while. In almost a decade now the station has had middling success at best. But maybe THIS time it'll work! Yeah, that's it! Bring in a new syndicated show!

107.5 blows anyway.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:55 pm

lush.rimbaugh wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:00 am
With the insane ratings that WNIC gets in December, I'm really surprised that 'YCD or 93.1 didn't go for a Country Christmas format. They both took a hit in the December books because of NIC's dominance.
Yeah, I mean, this is the same story year after year, but the holiday ratings for WNIC still blow me away. 16.8?! That's amazing. I do remember the years when they would get a challenger and a second station would go all-Christmas. It seems weird that no one else tries it. Though, I'm not sure who it should be. I guess the thing is: there are no other soft AC stations anymore. Those are always the obvious ones to go all-Xmas.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:27 am

I was a little surprised WOMC didn't go all-Christmas for the couple weeks leading into Christmas.

Also surprised 93.1 didn't try it given how miserable that station's ratings have been of late.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:01 pm

Christmas music always seems to be a hot topic. Too early, what are they playing. It sure brings the ratings in though

Especially now with other Christmas choices where you can hear Christmas music all year if you wanted.

I wonder what kind of listening those stations get during the year, like the iHeart Christmas station

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:30 am

If I'm not mistaken, these December ratings cover only the middle of November to early December, so WNIC is probably going to be way higher than a 16.8 for the Holiday rating period. That's impressive, but not shocking.
Someone else should have flipped to Christmas for a few weeks. This was the first year since 2012 (and 2018) that there was no competition. WOMC did all Christmas from 2013 to 2017, and The Breeze covered 2019 and part of 2020. And prior to 2012, 105.1 was flipping to all Christmas.
(Unless they did do 2012 and I'm forgetting. If theydid, then this will truly be the first.. well second time they had no competition)

Music is my life.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:18 pm

93.1 and 98.7 will still SUCK at this time next January, because neither Cumulus nor Audacy want to spend any money. The suits want to keep it all for themselves and the stockholders. Nobody cares what we, the listeners, want!

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:51 pm

non-anon bob wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:18 pm
93.1 and 98.7 will still SUCK at this time next January, because neither Cumulus nor Audacy want to spend any money. The suits want to keep it all for themselves and the stockholders. Nobody cares what we, the listeners, want!
it's not (directly) about what the listeners want. It's about what will attract advertisers and what their desires are.

A subtle, yet important distinction

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic