Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Noticeable playlist additions at Alt 98.7

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Noticeable playlist additions at Alt 98.7

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:19 pm

I always wondered what direction Wheels would have gone in had they lasted.
Good question.

I suspect the station would've pivoted back to a Heritage AOR sort of sound; think of a playlist similar to WDVE in Pittsburgh and WLUP in Chicago in the late 90's. That position would've placed the station somewhat closer to WCSX than WRIF not unlike what we see today with Fake Wheels.

WCSX was a very timid Classic Rock station in the late 90's. The station avoided AC/DC, most or all Led Zeppelin, and probably avoided Van Halen, too. Artists such as the Moody Blues, the Doors, the Beatles, and Elton John formed the backbone of the WCSX playlist at the time.

Part of WCSX's timidity is explained by Greater Media's acquisition of WRIF.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:40 pm

The ladies had 98.7 on in my barber shop today, good mix of songs and sounded good. Might have to give it some more time on the car radio.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:08 pm

WLLZ was owned by CBS back then. The company became known as Infinity Radio for a while. WLLZ would have picked Howard Stern mornings and Smooth Jazz would ended up on 97 FM.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:51 pm

Great points. Smooth jazz would've made a lot of sense at 97.1 FM, too, given its recent past as being the home of WJOI-FM.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:00 pm

A lot of rock stations were doing that in the mid 90s, either going classic or all new rock. I have to believe the Wheels name would have subsided by the late 90s. There probably would have been too much 80s/"your dad's radio station" stink on that name. I don't believe they had much more time anyway. But it is cool to hear those songs on that frequency again. I'll take what I can get.

I agree with Marcus. I'm not sure when ownership deals changed, but to blow out WLLZ in late 1995, just to fire up K-Rock on 97.1 barely a year later was foolish. They could have just taken WLLZ in a more Active Rock direction and put the Smooth Jazz on 97.1.

Not that it matters. Rock radio was dead by 1999-2000.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:08 pm

Heard “The Red” by Chevelle the other day- brings me back to Freshman year baseball lol. This playlist has gotten MUCH better. That said, what is Audacy’s issue with the latest Foo Fighters album? Four singles in and all I’ve heard is a couple spins for “Making A Fire”. If only they’d ditch that damn “Beggin” song and play more newer Foo Fighters.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:02 pm

Yeah, you would think that station would be banging out Foos. They've been one of the top alternative, Active Rock, Hot AC and classic rock acts over the last 25 years. You would think any Foo Fighters would be an auto add.

-TurkeyTop

RadioDork11

Post by RadioDork11 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:07 am

To touch on everyone's favorite song.....Beggin lol. I did think he sounds a little like ED from Live. I was surprised to hear WLLZ and the Wrif play Live. All over you on WLLZ and I Alone on the WRIF. I'm a H*** fan of Live and haven't heard them on terrestrial radio much besides Lightning Crashes. Don't listen to radio much. Usually going to a job in the work truck. Could be wrong with not hearing Live on the radio. I usually listen to podcasts or Spotify. It's nice to hear Darren Revell doing Big Sonic Heaven again. He has an app to listen commercial free. It was always a unique show when it was on the radio. You really never heard the artists or songs he played on terrestrial radio.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:52 am

Agreed that Live is an underappreciated band from that era.

First heard them on 92.3 Radio X from Allegan / Kalamazoo many, many years ago!

Freaks and Lakini's Juice are two good songs lame FM radio never plays!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:52 pm

Just heard the Bravery and the Killers. This station is SOO much better than before.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 pm

They need to get rid of Panic! At The Disco. High Hopes is one of my most hated songs of the past decade.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:20 am

Ehhhhhhhhh I guess if it's charting they have to play it. That's one of those songs/artists I can click away from, but come back knowing there might be something better in a few minutes.

Black Hole Sun yesterday. Black Hole Sun. On 98.7. Like it's 1994 again. I love it.

-TurkeyTop

Detroit313

Post by Detroit313 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:53 pm

The station ID now says that they are an OLDIES station. Wtf?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:54 pm

Well the 90s ARE 30 years ago 😂

-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:15 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:36 pm
They need to get rid of Panic! At The Disco. High Hopes is one of my most hated songs of the past decade.
I like the song, if only because it reminds me of my cousin because they were her favorite band. But I also like the horns. There is MUCH worse out there from that emo era. Hawthorne Heights anyone?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic