Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Holy crap, 95.5...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Holy crap, 95.5...

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:40 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:37 pm
I could still find the occasional song here and there on CHR up until 2014 or so. Shake It Off and Rude are two that come to mind. After that, I don't even bother.

And for the record, I'm 36. Studies show that most men age out of CHR roughly between 25 and 28. But there used to be some variety on CHR. Even if you didn't like the song playing, the next one could be different. Since the rise of trap beats and synth stabs, there just isn't anything there.
Pretty sure the last for me was Paramore, so when ever that was…. I am 38.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:46 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:40 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
I could still find the occasional song here and there on CHR up until 2014 or so. Shake It Off and Rude are two that come to mind. After that, I don't even bother.

And for the record, I'm 36. Studies show that most men age out of CHR roughly between 25 and 28. But there used to be some variety on CHR. Even if you didn't like the song playing, the next one could be different. Since the rise of trap beats and synth stabs, there just isn't anything there.
I'm not that much older than both of you (41), so that puts me in my late teens-very early 20s when I started to disengage from CHR. By that time, my interest in oldies was growing beyond what WOMC had to offer and Grand Rapids' WODJ became one of my favorite stations while I was going to college out there. Then I discovered CFCO and Cincy's WSAI. Participating in extracurricular music activities in high school (i.e. musicals) also gave me an appreciation for the Great American Songbook, so I started seeking out stations that played that type of music as well (like CKWW, WAAM, or Majic 810 in Grand Rapids).
What's funny is that I wanted a true CHR station in Detroit more than anything during the mid-'90s, during the time when you could get something approximating it by combining the playlists of 95.5, 96.3 and to an extent WJLB. I used to enjoy DXing WTWR, WVKS and WWCK (on AM, which came in better than FM) from my home in the heart of Macomb County. When my wish for a true CHR in Detroit finally came true, I had moved to southern Washtenaw County where Kiss and Tower came in like locals, and along with the changes in the music, it just didn't seem that special anymore.

G G

Post by G G » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:41 am

What station plays that LMFAO song with the Korean guy in a suit dancing all over the place?

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:45 am

G G wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:41 am
What station plays that LMFAO song with the Korean guy in a suit dancing all over the place?
"Gangnam Style" by Psy. Nine years ago, burned itself out, kind of like the Macarena.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:26 pm

This isn't anything new.
It was particularly bad around 2010. I remember they had Mike Posner almost sounding like a chipmunk on Cooler Than Me.
Amp Radio did it too, but not as bad

Music is my life.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:23 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:40 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:

I gave up on CHR years ago. Nothing has sounded remotely good over there in years. I'm 22.

Then again, I think I'm a dying breed, since I have been a staunch 107one listener for a while. AAA never does that well in my age group, except in very rare circumstances. Then again, that's the only format with new music that I can stomach most of the time.

take this job and shove it

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:58 am

Sometimes 107.1 gets a little "too hip for the room" and "enjoys smelling their own farts" for me. But they have had some pretty good gold stuff for at least the last month. So yeah, I've found myself listening a little more.

They have been playing that new Foo Fighters track, and it got me to thinking, the Foos sure cover a lit of ground:

AAA
Active Rock
Alternative Rock
Hot AC
Classic Rock

That's not too bad, covering 5 different FM formats, especially when they have been around nearly 30 years!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic